We're learning to give Milo more healthy treats so he can lose some weight. I know rawhides, milkbones, and all the doggie cookies are very tasty for him. But, they tend to have higher calories.

Anyone ever bake some healthy dog treats?
Anyone give their dogs some fruits or healthy "human" food?

Views: 3104

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My Tasha loves little apple pieces and banana pieces too. She LIVES for peanut butter too. My friend recently made some healthy dog cookies and Tasha gave them 2 thumbs up. Now I just have to talk my friend out of the recipe! We don't give her people food, but she DOES get to lick our plates. There's nothing on them ever because we belong to the clean plate club. Tasha though belongs to the REALLY clean plate club!
Franklin LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVES Lean Treats. You have to buy them from a vet but they are cheap, about $3 a bag and even the small ones I cut in half or quarters depending on what I'm giving the treat for. You can also freeze low sodium chicken broth into a cube so its tasty for those hot summer days. Chicken broth is usually fat free but high sodium so make sure to get the low sodium kind. Make sure to look online or check with your vet before giving fruits and veggies as some can be toxic and cause kindey failure or liver damage. Green beens, carrots, lettuce, broccoli are good. I'd probably stay away from fruit just to be safe, except for apples. Franklin love to gnaw on a nice big carrot and it lasts forever, although I only give them to him occasionally. I have also started stuffing treats in kongs and freezing them so they last longer, You could probably fill a small kong with carrots or green beans and seal one end with tape and fill it with chicken broth and freeze it that way you protect his teeth and keep him busy licking it for a LOOOOOONG time......just thought of that while I was typing so not sure how successful it would be but it sounds good! :-)
Ours eat anything, they are corgis! Green beans, baby carrots, apples, melon. Sonny goes into the garden and takes anything he can get including spent thistle seed - the lite food and wt loss diet is not working! I am thinking it was Trader Joes that we got the Charlie Bears from, they love them. Years ago, before we had Sonny the tank, my husband made dog treats.

Someone was making jerkey out of turkey hotdogs? Be aware of the sodium content of all hot dogs, if you use don't feed too much. I think you can make chicken jerkey of plain chicken breast sliced thin and baked, there was a recipe on this site a long time ago.
I have been giving Loki "Pedigree Breath Buster". It has parsley and eucalyptus oil in it. So far it has been the best for bad breath. Although Loki breath isn't too bad, But my Mika (husky/Samoyed mix) is 15yrs old and has really bad breath it seems to do the job. Unfortunately the protein and fat are both 9.0%. I limit how many Loki and Mika are to have a day. Plus eucalyptus will make them need to pee more. As far as making doggie treats. I have before I got Loki. I've been thinking about trying them on him. Mika frustrated me when I made them before he would not touch them but all my friends dogs loved them. So; I need to try Loki out and see if I finally have a dog that will eat them.
We give our pup Zuke's natural (Mmmmm-peanutbutter), and he loves Pupcorn both Cheese and Peanutbutter flavor. For special occasions it's Greenies His choice is just about anything he finds on the ground...berries, leaves, snails, cat poop UGH! He is getting better at trading his bad choices for a Pupcorn.(made in the USA and low fat)
Never seen Pupcorn, where do you find that? You also have one who is a goat in disguise? (eats absolutely anything that is within grabbing range...) I have to be extremely vigilant with Abby, she will pick up and eat anything. Already one bout of colitis as a result...
Goat!?? I swear he has a cast iron gut, he down right scares me at times. I have found Pup corn at Pet Supermarket and my local grocery store; Winn Dixie. (south Florida) Luckily we have not had to go to the vet because of his "tastes" but have had some interesting poop sessions!
Okay; so this chat got me going. So; I went into the kitchen and whipped up some Doggy biscuits. Except, I rolled them out thinner hoping Mika would like them too. Plus; I basted them with beef broth (low fat). I use broth instead of water also. So it would be beefy all the way through the cookie. Well Anyway; it was a hit Loki (my corgi) he loved them and so did Mika. So let’s say; I will be making more. I may even play with them a bit add food coloring and other things to make them more fun. My daughter and I did use fun little cookie cutters so they were shaped like butterflies and flowers, and ducky’s. So if you are looking for recipes? I just did a search online for “free doggy biscuits recipes”. Have fun and remember you can change the recipes a bit like garlic for breath, cheese, chicken broth, or bacon grease (not too much bacon grease but a little goes a long way as we all know; but it will make there coat shinier from what I have been told.) Well enjoy baking! I know I will!
I've made Ella treats this summer, from a recipe I found online. They were peanut butter/wheat flour ones. But I some on the counter in a plastic bag and some in the freezer. Well with in a week, in the humidity of summer, the ones on the counter had gotten small spots of mold. Luckily I had put most in the freezer and those stayed good.
Heather, Those peanut butter/wheat flour treats sound wonderful. I will look online for that recipe. Thanks! ;-D I think my Loki will love them.
Abby likes pieces of strawberry, banana or apple, frozen blueberries, carrots, cucumber, spinach or lettuce leaves, sweet potato (pieces of homemade sweet potato "fries" that are actually baked). With the bland diet she's had to be on for a few days, we discovered she likes (nonfat) plain yogurt, cottage cheese and unsweetened applesauce. She also likes cherry tomatoes (she snatched them in the garden!), fresh green beans, peas...Basically anything at all, whether its edible or not. I figure the frozen blueberries, chunks of apple and stuff are freebies, not many calories! Love the carrot in the ice cube idea. I usually just give her small pieces rather than a whole ice cube, I was afraid she would choke on it.

We also make Frosty Paws, which is 32 oz plain nonfat yogurt, 2 T peanut butter, 2 T honey in the blender then frozen into ice cube trays, but we used the long skinny ones that are intended for adding to water bottles. (and then cut them into pieces after they're frozen.) She loves those. Plus there's a liver treat we make that is liver, whole wheat flour, an egg and cheese blendered and then baked. Can't give you the actual amounts because we have momentarily misplaced the recipe!

Plus we use Bil Jac's various flavors for training treats, Mother Hubbard puppy biscuits, and freeze dried liver, chicken or salmon. And low-fat part skim mozzarella cheese sticks (little slices cut into teeny pieces).
My dogs love mini carrots...

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service