Hello fellow corgi-fans, 

I have often read about Corgis tend to have bad backs because of their short legs and long body.  And yet of all the people I met who currently have or used to have corgis, not one ever described their corgis with bad backs.  So is this true or just folk lore? 

If it is true, what can I do to reduce the likelihood of this happen to my corgis?

thanks,

Essa

Views: 1035

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thanks for this tip. I have seen the glyco-flex in stores and they are pretty expensive. At what age do you begin to give them these supplements? Is this something I should give to my four year old but not to my one year old?
I give it from puppyhood.
I give Finnigan 21st Century K9 Maximum Joint Formula. They sell it at Petsmart and Petco and it's $24.99 for 60 tablets. Finn's been on them since he was 8 months old. He loves them and I love that it has all of the ingredients I was looking for. It's the only one I've found that has everything.
Food's with added joint supplements such as Glucosamine and Chondroitin do not usually provide enough. If you are concerned about joint problems I would still recommend giving a joint supplement and you can account for the amount that is already in the food and give maybe half a tab rather than a whole one.
I have met a corgi with a bad back. He was 15 and very fat. I don't know if it was hereditary, or obesity, or being old as hell. :p
One thing not yet mentioned - be careful how you pick up corgis and set them down. Use the forklift method (one arm behind the front legs, the second arm in front of the hind legs), the calf method (one arm in front of the front legs, the second arm behind the back legs) or any other combination that uses both of your arms. I cringe every time I see someone (usually a handler at a dog show) grab the shoulders and leave the hindquarters dangling. Corgis are not small dogs - they are short, long dogs, and they need to be picked up and set down with the human using both arms.
woo, good tip. Thanks.
If you say, "Corgi Toss" to Al or Gwynn, they will step right up to you and wait to be lifted carefully. They learned this "command" serendipitously.
That is too funny
Our Gwenny (PWC) had her initial back problem after a groomer visit. Never did find out what happened there. She had repeated bouts of back spasm & leg weakness over about a 4 year period. She was never overweight. It's been almost a year since the last episode & she appears to be fine now. She has learned to self-regulate her own activities with some training help.
How do you know if she was having back spasm? What do you do when it happens?
Aber had back sugery this past November. He has IVDD and ruptured a couple of discs. He's still not walking, although he can stand pretty well if you stand him up. He started with weight problems when he was 7 months. No matter what the vet and I did, it didn't help at all. He was eating hardly any light food and cups of green beans. Anything less and the vet was afraid of malnourishment. Since then, I've learned light food is crammed with carbs, which probably only made weight loss harder for him. But the weight, plus his love of jumping off the couch most likely were the culprits. Oh and he'd been on joint supplement for years---the irony!!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service