Just wondering if anyone else does this...I have a recipe that my dogs love and I make it once or twice a month...now I don't take the time to cut out all those cute little dog bones but I put it on a cookie sheet,roll it out bake it and cut it with a pizza cutter after it has cooled a few minutes...total time including baking is a 45 min. job so I figure it's good ingredients and saves a fair amount of$$$ plus my dogs love it and it works well for trainig except they do break if you put them in your pocket. I freeze them and just take a few out at a time...

Views: 217

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

While the onion in broth is honestly probably not enough to do any damage, it still makes me squeamish. Funny how certain things just stick out to us, isn't it? LOL I finally found one stock out there that seemed to have no onion or no generic "seasoning" or "flavoring." I have yet to make it into pops yet, though. Poor Jack!
Oh...I'm not too worried about Jack...he'll survive and not know what he's missing since he hasn't had any !!! I love to cook (but hate to bake) so that's why my dogs get little irregular cut squares instead of fancy doggie bones...
I used to make little treats for the dogs that were also breath mints. They had mint and parsley in them, and activated charcoal for healthy digestion. They were made with rice flour too.

Those pup pops look good!! Could one make them without the peanut butter though? I think Algy has a problem with peanut butter >:(
I figured that people could use a different flour for the ones I make. Were you asking about the peanut butter in the frozen treats or the baked ones? I would think that little bit in the frozen wouldn't hurt to omit it...I have a recipe for Banana Biscotti for dogs too...I never have made this but I will try to put it on this page in the next few days...it looks good!

I like the idea of the parsley and mint too...I many times add extra to mine! So how do you buy the activated charcoal???
You can get activated charcoal at drug stores or health food stores. They sell it in little canisters like baking powder. You just put a scoop or two in and its supposed to help with digestion and neutralizing impurities.
you can leave out the peanut butter and add a tablespoon of honey instead =) thats what a friend of mine did instead her dogs don't like peanut butter either this recipe can be played with =)
I have heard of it, but half the year I don't have the time. I tend to treat them with boiled chicken, they like it better than a baked treat. But I would love to learn how to bake some treats. Maybe this winter when we are not in peak tourist season I can try.

Here is the one I have made for Samantha so far:
Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits

1 1/2 cups of Self rising flour
1/4 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter ( I put in more close to a cup)
1 to 2 teaspoons of honey
1 egg
1 teaspoon of vanilla
2 tablespoons shortening
Preheat oven at 350, combine ingredients as listed in a large bowl, mix well. Roll out to 1/4 inch thick cut into shapes (I cheat and use a cookie cutter--bone shaped of course it says I "heart" MY DOG). Bake for 20 minutes or until they turn slightly brown.

Boy some of these other recipes sound great gonna have to try them.
As a teen, I made some peanut butter biscuits for my beagle/terrier mix. Since Ella is my first dog in over 10 yrs., I have yet to try to make her anything. Her food and veges seem to fill her right up, but she does get the occasional Iams puppy biscuit. While searching the web for recipes, I came across several that sounded decent that I am going to try out.

Bad Breath Banishers

* 2 cups brown rice flour
* 1 Tablespoon activated charcoal (find this at drugstores, not the briquets!)
* 3 Tablespoons canola oil
* 1 egg
* 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
* 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
* 2/3 cup lowfat milk

Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly oil a cookie sheet. Combine flour and charcoal. Add all the other ingredients.Drop teaspoonfulls on oiled sheet, about 1 inch apart. Bake 15-20 minutes. Store in airtight container in the refrigerator.

Soft Doggie Cookies

* 3 (2 1/2 oz. each) jars of baby food; either beef or chicken
* 1/4 cup Dry milk powder
* 1/4 cup Wheat germ or cream of wheat

Combine all ingredients in bowl and mix well. Roll into small balls and place on well-greased cookie sheet. Flatten slightly with a fork. Bake in preheated 350F oven for 15 minutes until brown. Cool on wire rack. Refrigerate to keep fresh or freeze. Great for older dogs with teeth problems.
Bad breath banishers! That's what I made for him!! He really likes those! Thanks for putting up the recipe. I can't find my copy of it!
Wow...what a great bunch of recipes...I am adding this recipe because I think it looks good but have never tried it so if you try it b/4 I do please let us know!

Banana Biscotti

5 cups flour
1/4 cup peanuts chopped
1/2 tea baking soda
1/4 cup vegtable oil
1 1/2 cups banana pureed
2 tea vanilla
water

preheat oven to 325F. Place dry ingredients in large bowl. Make a well in the center. Blend egg,oil and banana together. Add into dry ingredients, start combining,add 1 tea of water at a time as needed.Knead by hand on table till mixed. Form 2 in. logs. Flatten so log is 6" wide X 1" high. Place on non stick cookie sheet or lightly grease. Bake 30-40 min. Remove, cool for 10 min. slice into 1/2" slices. Place on cookie sheets and bake another 20 min or until golden brown. Cool Store in airtight container.
This looks great! It'll be nice to bake once the weather gets cold again!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service