I've been lurking on here for a while and read something about corgis, puppy or adult, needing to eat big dog, dog food and not small dog, dog food. My husband disagrees. I would love to know which of us is right. We have a poodle schnauzer mix and our corgi mix. Sasha(corgi) is, as of her vet visit Friday, 12.8# and 2 years old.
Also I noticed call of the wild doesn't have a small dog formula. Would it be ok for small dogs? Toby(schnoodle) is only 7# maybe 8 soaking wet. Can anyone post some links that talk about small vs big dog, dog food for corgis? Also, would it make a difference that Sasha is mixed and so small?

Views: 3358

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My vet told me he should be on regular puppy food until he was at least a year old. Yeah no, lol. Most breeders recommend an ALS or large breed puppy formula because it's better for corgis to grow slowly in order to avoid health issues with the bones and joints (same as a large breed dog).

As Andrea suggests, you can check out the ratings for the foods at dogfoodadvisor.com and,  if cost is an issue, a 4 star rating will serve you well too.

So long as its not a small breed puppy food I don't see the problem on having Nemo on it

I feed and suggest ALS food for Corgis as they are considered a large breed dog. You can feed large breed puppy food if you want . You should not feed small breed puppy food because the ingredients in that food is for dogs that fully mature in about a year, Corgis take 18-24 months to fully mature and don't need the high protein in the small breed puppy food. You should also keep the protein level around 24% for a corgi puppy. TOTW now has a puppy formula but I haven't read the levels for proteins. but it does have "extras" for pups.

Regarding Vets: a good Vet is the place to go for medical advice.  I have seen very few Vets who were knowledgeable in dog nutrition or dog behavior.  By knowledgeable I mean that they knew more than the average multiple dog owner. A good breeder is a much more reliable source for this kind of information.  The key word is "good" as being a Vet or a breeder does not necessarily confer that status.  Best is to do some research of one's own and choose the middle road when in doubt.

There are many good sites, including the one you're on.  Here is one good general resource:

http://search.mercola.com/search/pages/Results.aspx?k=pets

As for your specific question, I side with those who recommend a good quality ALS dog food.

I will definetely check out that website. Thank you. I just want to find something that costs less than or as much as Blue and that Toby will eat. He's such a food snob sometimes! It'll be a lot easier to convince my husband though if its something both dogs will eat.

Try Acana Regionals. Their food is made by Champion Foods and is one of the leading dog food manufacturers in the world. They use human grade meats and veggies in every single formulation. We feed it to Ein now. We switched her from Orijen Regional Red (also Champion Foods) to Acana Grasslands. The Prairie version of Acana is only maybe 3$ more than Blue Buffalo on Chewy.com and you cannot beat the quality of it. My entire family uses Acana for their dogs. It's good stuff.

So I checked out Dog Food Advsior and Acana has a pretty high content of protein. Wouldn't that be an issue?

No, my dog was on Orijen and it's 38%. I know there is some debate of protein percentages. However, all of my research says that it's the phosphorus levels that are the issue, not the protein. Dogs need the protein to grow and create energy. Acana is a wonderful food and many of us use it and see amazing results. It's not anymore higher than almost any good grain free food.

I promise I'm not being arbitrary just want to have all the facts and make sure I ask all the questions I can think of so that I can pick the one that is best for us.

Oh totally. I completely understand. I did tons of research before picking a food. I wanted the best for my dog. Which is why I decided on Orijen/Acana. We ended up going to Acana because my pup is now spayed and does not need the extra protein for energy since a good chunk of energy was used on reproductive organs. Also, it's way cheaper. In our family we have 10 dogs using Acana. Dogs ranging from my Corgi to Great Danes, Yorkies, Basenji's, ect. All of them are in amazing health and have grown perfectly.

Accidentally deleted one of my comments. Just wanted to let you know it wasn't on purpose and I have no idea how to un-delete or if I even can

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service