So around two months ago I was blessed with my corgi Maddie. She was given to us at the age of ten months because of her constant fighting with her bull dog sister. When we got her she was an only dog, but after a break up with the guy I was living with... We moved out to the family ranch. She has three dog siblings and loves the ranch life as you an imagine a busy, young corgi would. The only problem is she likes to start fights with our eight month old red heeler Gus. 98% of the time they are best friends. You always see them playing, roaming, chasing barn kitties, and just loving each other. But when it comes to toys or me, it's a fight. She bares her teeth and lunges. It's gotten better, but the problem is in a few weeks I'm moving to the city for a job where she will live with two other small dogs. I don't want her to cause problems with her new roommates by being bossy and unwilling to share. I've heard this is a common corgi issue. Any tips on making sure she doesn't over stay her welcome within the first few hours?

Views: 1182

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It can be very frustrating when you have a willful dog...or kid.  Love, patience and stick-to-it-ness are what will get you thru.  Anyone who asks how can I help my dog is someone who truly wants to help.  Everyone here has had experience in something with our dogs...potty training, food, illness, aggressiveness, training...you name it.  If you ask we are always willing to give what knowledge we have.  It may not all be the same ideas but not all dogs and all owners are the same...you try different methods until you find the right one that works for you and your dog.

You say she is good with small dogs....my Max prefers small dogs also.  He gets along fine with bigger dogs (his BFF before he came to us was a pittie) as long as they don't try to jump/pounce on him.  I have read from others on here that corgis just naturally try to protect their long spines...I don't know but it certainly could explain why he is better with small bouncy dogs than large bouncy dogs.

Not everyone can afford or has access to a private trainer.  I have always trained my dogs for obedience within our local dog club setting.  If you will have free training as an employee of PetCo than go for it.  They will give you the basics and you can always talk to the trainer about specific problems you may be having.  I have found that most dog trainers, at least the ones I have come in contact with, are more than willing to give pointers and tips.  Most of all...love your dog and provide her with the tools that will help her be a happy corgi.

I have a dog like Maddie. It took me a long time to figure out the triggers and what to do about them. Livvy is the most loving dog of all of mine BUT the balls are hers and the goats(we no longer have). My best advice along with using a leash and NILF is to make sure if you are gone that she is safe in a crate or in your room. Although Livvy has gotten much better I do not trust her if left alone with my other females Bella and Wiley. I have a finger with a plate and 6 pins in to remind me that I must be careful:( Hopefully all the love and training will help her!

Thank you all so much. Sorry for getting defensive. Like I said it's not easy trying to take a dog you haven't raised with issues. All these tips will help us and I'll give an update when we get moved!:)

Watch for triggers also....like too many things going on as she might get upset? Also....is it always the same sex dog? Livvy never bothers my males.

It's any dog who is taller than her it seems like.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service