Since my husband has arthritis, it's hard for him to reach down and pick up toys to play with Ella and Maverick, so I decided to make a toy that he could use while sitting. I used a wooden dowel and tied yarn to it and at the end of the yarn, I tied on a small rubber ring. Both dogs loved it and my husband enjoyed it too. Unfortunately, the yarn broke and Ella grabbed a wad of it and ran off. I chased her down and almost had it but she gulped it down. It wasn't a huge wad of yarn, maybe about the size of 4 spaghetti noodles clumped. Sorry, that's the first description that comes to mind! I went online and read that giving her a half piece of high fiber bread would allow the yarn to bind to it so she can pass it. Has anyone had this happen? I don't want to ignore it if it can be a problem. I read that a cat did this and needed surgery! I know it wasn't smart to use yarn, but it was what I had at the time. Ugh. Everyone is always so helpful on here, I wanted to get some opinions. Thank you!
Chances are it will be fine, but any stringy thing can rarely bind up the intestines. I would probably call the vet and ask what they suggest; they will most likely just advise you over the phone.
I will do that. Thanks, Beth!
The vet can give her a shot that will help it pass through. Been through things like this with our doberman!
Once they've stolen something, why do the little twits insist on swallowing it? Many things have gone down my dogs' throats, and its a wonder they've survived it all.
BTW, I also have issues with picking up toys, so I use my grabber stick I had to use when I was in a body cast and using a walker (long story.) Now I just keep it by my chair, and pick up the toys to throw to Lilli. I have taught her "closer," meaning she has to move the toy closer to me if she wants me to pick it up. She learned that one pretty quickly.
Our boy, Romeo, ate a large cross pendant, chain and the bag it was in a few years ago. It was metal and we were worried about it shredding his stomach and intestines as well as metal poisoning. After numerous x-rays and a tearful discussion with the vet about surgery the answer was lots peanut butter sandwiches. They stuck to any metal and allowed the intestines to stretch on the way through his digestive track.
Thanks for all your replies. I can breathe easier now. I saw the "recycled" yarn today! I think all is well now. :) :)