WHAT IS THIS??

Sorry for the caps, but I've been dealing with this for a while and it's gotten really just...bad.  Waffle's butt constantly and consistently smells like fish.  Sometimes it doesn't, and then other times it's so overpowering.  ... WHY?  He doesn't appear to have any poo stuck to his butt... and if he did, wouldn't it smell like poo? Haha.  D:  

Bad drawing coz my senses are overpowered by fish smell.

Views: 3632

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you everyone for the education on Fish-Butt or having a dogs anal glands expressed. I have not had this experience with Sophie yet - but now I am ready when and if it happens!
Rachel,

If the solution is harder stools, why don't you start giving him a portion of your fruit and veg? More fiber will help the problem until Waffle's current food is done. (Among Edison's favorite fiber-containing foods: grapefruit, tomatoes, lettuce stumps, corn, apple cores, pear cores, carrot peels... you get the idea. He's a corgi. :))

And by the way, your drawing is utterly hilarious! :)

-Alice
Lol! It's funny that you think I eat fruits and vegetables. I'm a college student, I subsist on Ramen and Wendy's! Haha! My dog, however, gets fed the good stuff. I should go buy him some more carrots-- he loves those things.
Sounds like the dreaded anal gland monster! Gunny has had to have his anal sac expressed once a month or it "explodes" and smells horrendous. It seemed to happen at the most inoppertune times too, like 30 minutes into a 3 1/2 hour car trip, or when visiting at someones home. Maybe nerves set it off . But, the only thing that worked in stopping it was to have the sac expressed regularly. Some people know how to do it at home, but I am not sticking my finger into his butt and squeezing. No way! He always needs a bath( at least his rear ) after the expression too. Nasty stuff! The people that said to firm up the poop probably are on the right track. I cannot get Gunny to eat raw carrots, apples etc.
Forgot to say: I love the drawing! Very creative and totally "describes" the situation!

We have the same issues with our Corgi's - one seems to be worse than the other.  We've switched food, add pumpkin or rice to their food & nothing seems to work.  Our vet showed my husband how to try and express the glands on our own but we don't always have the best luck with that...so off to the vet we go- some groomers will do this too I've heard.  Seems like the only other alternative is surgery but from what we've heard it sounds very painful for the dog so it just doesn't seem fair to do.

LOL!!! Edward is known as Anal gland Ed around our house....he has to have them expressed but Gem has never had to so far!!!!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service