In memory of a loving friend.  This is NO JOKE.  We almost lost our first dog this way.  It is a common FATAL accident.  Cut bottoms off food bags and keep all of them out-of-reach of even a determined unsupervised dog. 

NOTE:  "On the counter" is not "out of reach", especially if you have a cat to knock things down.

See comment below 12/14/11  re. corgi fatality from chip bag left on a tabletop.

I'd thoughtlessly kept this dog food bag without cutting off the bottom, thinking it might be useful:

"Like, he really owes me for this..."

Sorry if this is kind of shocking.  It's meant to be, so we'll remember.

Learn to look at a plastic bag and see a loaded gun.  We almost lost our first corgi this way -- there was a hole in the bag, just big enough.

Watch your children and guests -- they don't know!

FYI, if you're handy, it's not too hard to cut those swinging panels in the cabinet doors.  They're attached with strong spring-loaded hinges.  The cabinet doors are held by only a magnet, so I added turnbuttons (top photo) to keep out even a determined dog.

Babyproof your home.  Many things kill both children and pets (Venetian blind cords come to mind).  Beware of choking hazards, like bones, too (we DID lose our dog that way).

Let's keep this discussion concise.  I may edit to keep it quickly readable.  Practical safety suggestions are welcome.

Views: 9650

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As I was getting my recycling ready...I dumped a bunch of plastic pop bottle tops...they too could be a choking hazard.

Thank you John for the reminder. After reading Teddy's story, I took out my trash can and I currently have plastic bags full of Christmas presents in our upstairs spare bedroom. The door is now closed because I don't want Noodles getting in to anything. The items we've been throwing away, I've been cutting up in small pieces and also the chip bags on top of our fridge are either shoved way back so they can't fall off or are placed inbetween something so there is no chance of them landing on the ground. I'm heart broken that it took Teddy's passing to make me realize the safety hazards we have in our house.

Rubber bands, when swallowed, can tangle and cut off blood supply in the intestines. Cats are more inclined to eat them than dogs, but best to be safe.

Ditto for rope tugs. They are great for interactive play but shouldn't be left for dogs to chew. The strings can cause gut trouble.

Here's one I never would have thought of in a million years.  More likely with a bigger dog but still possible with a Corgi.

 

Someone we know from a training class just lost a dog when he jumped against a glass panel in a door, the glass shattered, and he severed an artery and bled to death.   How awful.  

 

Keep dogs away from glass doors.  Even if you are standing right there, you won't be able to save a dog with a severed artery unless you have extensive veterinary training.

We actually had a dog rushed to our vet for jumping through a glass window. It was very sad and there was incredible damage to the poor dog. My parents dog will smash up against the front window when they are gone and they didn't realize he did this until a friend of mine rang the doorbell when they were gone. They have since moved the couch from under the window so he can no longer access the window.

Really appreciated this post, John. I was having nightmares about this but your suggestion of cutting the bottoms off the food bags will help me sleep a little better at night. I am now banning chip bags from the living room, chips may only be eaten out of a bowl. 

Great idea!!!

Watch your visitors, they won't know the rules.

Thanks to John & others for this post/input. I'm going to go room to room to make sure all areas Steve has access to is a safe-zone. I've always been careful with plastic/grocery bags but I'll now view all bags differently.
I'm also going to share this info with friends with pets (and little kids).

Child safty locks work too. Thanks for the reminder! 

We lost our beautiful black baby Serah (cat) because she found thread from a unattended sewing kit. So much had found it's way around her intestines that we had to euthanize her as there was just too much thread.

Nothing can replace poor Teddy, and Rebecca and Arthur will still have their broken hearts from the loss of their friend.  But if Teddy's untimely death spurs people to be more aware of the dangers that common household items and trash can pose to their dogs and pass the word on to other pet owners, then some bit of good can come from the loss of Teddy.  We can't count know the number of pets that could be saved but surely some will be.  Good on you, John, for posting this.  R.I.P. Teddy.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

 

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2020   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service