This is Buddy.  He is my grandson's corgi and has just lost his leg to cancer.  Even with treatment we can only expect him to live another year or two.  Fortunately Buddy doesn't know this and is happily chasing balls and sticks.  Then there is his passion.  SQUIRRELS!  We were wondering if there any other corgis fighting the same battle.

Views: 511

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

... And now our rollercoaster is approaching it's last hill I think. Buddy had a oncology appointment this morning - unfortunately, all the news today is bad news for Buddy. We repeated the chest X-ray ( last taken 8 weeks ago and showing diminished size of the lung metastasis from Buddy's osteoscarcoma) . Today's radiographs show large amounts of fluid surrounding Buddy's lungs, even to the point that the X-ray was "muddy". It was determined at today's visit that Buddy will discontinue chemo and we now begin steroids and other palliative care measures for Buddy. This is not the visit I expected- I have been so hopeful since his previous X-rays show the lung met tumors decreasing. Although none of us can look in a crystal ball, we have been told that Buddy may only be with us for another month or so. My husband took this appointment, as I had a work commitment today. Our 13 year old son was with me when I received my husbands phone call regarding Buddy, so unfortunately I had no opportunity to process anything before I needed to try to help Buddy's boy try to process this sad news. Not sure when the tears will dry up for any of us. When we all got home Buddy tried to climb up onto his boys bed when he saw how sad he was. Buddy still acts like Buddy for now. He chased a tennis ball and a cat  yesterday. As I stated last post, no regrets... But I am so sorry that this is where we are at. My son looked at me after the first round of tissues and hugged me saying he isn't mad at me or his Dad- but he is mad. He's entitled to be mad- I just wish that all we tried to do had been enough. Again, if I had these choices to make all over again I wouldn't change a thing. We love our furry family members, I just wish that it didn't have to hurt to begin saying good-bye.
Cindy,  So sorry! I hope all of you especially Buddy can find joy in his remaining days. We never know how long we have so this is a wake up call for all of us not to take each other or our furry family for granted. Buddy takes it a day at a time and obviously is a gift to you all. Corgi hugs..
Don't ever ever doubt that you didn't do enough!  Buddy couldn't have a more loving and caring family than he has with you all.

This story has been so hard to follow as I think of our family and how I would feel if it were Petey experiencing the same thing. It's just heartbreaking even though, we know, we know, we know that our beautiful pets (and us) will depart eventually. My friends remind me that I can always get another corgi, but another corgi isn't Pete with his unique personality, our long history and love. It's like saying that you can always have another son or daughter, as if the relationship was an interchangeable generic one. He saved my life not too long ago—you can't simply replace a bond like that. So, your Buddy is very much on my mind and in my heart as are you and his poor 13-year old partner in play. Here's a happier photo of my boy that I hope will bring some cheer.

Petey with his grampa.

Much affection, Preston

Preston- thank you! That picture didmake me chuckle. What a "corgi" pose... And to all the other well wishes today/ Thanks for caring about your fellow corgi people like us. As I said previously, I shared our corgi story because there was not much out on the web that offered hope when we began this journey with Buddy. Maybe to some, this isn't a story if hope either, given where we are now . But I will disagree - caring for Buddy has been about hope and that was what was missing when I researched his case on other sites. We remain "hopeful" that the next family who has to decide what do do for an ill pet will be encouraged to try ... I am glad we have tried our best. Buddy is teaching us that it's ok not to be in charge of the outcome as long as you don't choose to be along for the ride and have no goal in mind. We are learning from this experience and I know that somehow this has all been for a purpose if we choose to make it so.  

I have not been following this closely because I lost a much-loved cat a little over a year ago to cancer and it's hard to hear about.  She reacted very poorly to the chemo (it gave her neurological side effects--- she couldn't walk right after it--- and made her anorexic, an unfortunately common thing in sick cats).  

I'm sorry to hear the roller coaster has taken another dive, but your dedication has given Buddy many more happy days than he otherwise might have had.   Many people are afraid to try chemo with a pet because they think of how awful it is for most humans to endure, but the side-effects are often not as severe in dogs, as your posts illustrate.

Big hugs.  

Oh Cyndy, I'm so sorry. We just lost our old man kitty to cancer. It must be even worse when you consider the effects on his young boy. My daughter was 12 when her beloved Peaches (a husky mix) was hit by a car and killed. I think it affects her still today, and she's 21 now. I hope you will be able to cherish every moment you have with Buddy, and I bet Buddy knows he is very loved and adored and will be remembered forever and ever.
Cindy, Thank you so much for keeping us up to date on Buddy and his journey with cancer. I think what I will take away from it is that the people who say the treatment is worse than the illness, don't understand the spirit in all of us to live. Buddy is such a wonderful example of an individual taking hardship in stride and still finding joy in a boy and tennis balls. I hate to admit but I might have been one of those people before Buddy's story. Thank you and God bless.
Hello corgi friends- I am so very sad and heartbroken to share this news with you. Buddy died shortly before 3:00pm this afternoon. I walked in from work and knew something was wrong. Both Maggie, Our other corgi, and Dog were frantic. We found Buddy resting on top of the sleeping bag where he has slept with his boy since we discontinued chemo last week. He appears to have passed away in his sleep. I feel
Bad that we weren't with him, but am relieved in many ways that nature made this call for us and we didn't have to choose what to do for him in the end. Please go love on your corgi and think of our Buddy.
Cyndy, I've got tears falling as I type this. I am so very sorry. Buddy was so well loved and I know he knew it well. Hugs to you and your family. I hope your Buddy will find my Buddy (my German Shepherd/husky mix, my best friend when I was a teenager) and they will play together, healthy and whole.
So sorry for your families loss! Buddy appears to have been a very good boy to the end and deserves some healthy happy time over the Rainbow Bridge. Hugs for all of you especially Buddy's boy.
so sorry for your loss Cyndy :(

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service