Has anyone acquired a Pembroke puppy from Immer Essen Farm in Athens, TN ?

Views: 4297

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

HI Joyce,

Glad to be able to provide information. It's a pleasure to be able to give glowing reviews of a breeder, namely Judy Hart's Sua Mah Corgis. I never heard of the other breeder. If she doesn't have any litters planned, she may be able to give you names of reputable breeders with puppies in the area. She may also know of adult Corgis available or rescue Corgis, if you have any interest in an adult. In fact, I just remembered that it was Judy who recommended Tim Mathiesen, Nebriowa Corgis, in CA when I called her for a puppy. I loved her Corgis so much I was willing to get a TN puppy, even though we live in S. CA! So Lucy (who is my dog, lol, not me!) was the wonderful Corgi that I got from Tim, thanks to Judy! Good luck, Wendy

We have a retired adult from a responsible breeder. If they keep one or two from a litter, pretty soon the numbers get high and most of them rehome sometimes. There are usually one or two that they might keep forever (a "heart dog", or one who is exceptionally good with other dogs' puppies, or one who helps keep peace in the pack) but the rest are moved on at some point.

From what I see of their testing, their puppy-raising, and the links on their home page this is a breeder I would not hesitate to add to my short list if I lived there. The things I like are the testing, the puppy-raising, the fact that they seem to stay in contact with their buyers and adopters.

I would have a list of questions. I see they are aiming to have all DM clear Corgis. This is not easy and without getting into the debate (you can search "DM" or "degenerative myelopathy" here for several lengthy discussions) there are very few clears or even carriers to choose from. So I'd want them to talk about their overall goals and make sure they are not sacrificing elsewhere to get those clears. For myself, I'd rather an "at risk" pup from otherwise healthy, good-tempered parents than (hyphothetically) a DM clear who had a line with a lot of cancer, or with iffy temperaments.

My other concern is it seems perhaps that they only breed "in-house" and don't use outside studs, but I just took a quick look at pedigrees and can't be sure. That is not always bad, but it can be if they are not looking for matings that provide good balance.

But those are questions I'd have for any breeder. Like I said, from what I see they'd make a short list if I were looking in that area. The dogs they pictured looked fairly well put-together, as far as you can tell from a snapshot, though perhaps not as "typey" as some of the show kennels.

Good luck!

Beth,

I love your explanation about a "heart dog" . . .  : )  Our Winston was definitely a heart dog.  He died 3 1/2 weeks ago and we're still crying every day.  We don't want to "replace him" but I don't think I can go much longer without a Corgi.  I miss Winston so much.  We adored him and he loved everyone in our family so much.  He followed me everywhere and I just cannot get used to having him gone.  I think a new puppy is going to be the best option for us.  We have a spayed beagle fox hound that loved Winston, and a 14 year old neutered Westie who loved him too, but I think if we brought an adult dog into our home it might be complicated.  Also, and this is very selfish of me, I want a Corgi that we can (hopefully) have for more than ten years.

Thank you so much for all your helpful suggestions and good questions to ask the breeder.

I really appreciate the time you were willing to share with me.

JOYCE

Joyce,

I always thought it was important to "wait" to get a new dog because otherwise maybe I wasn't being "true" to the old dog that died but for the past few years I have realized that this is not true...if you are ready to find a dog...go for it as it doesn't mean you loved Winston any less...he would understand the hole he left and want you to find a new dog to love:)

Jane,  thank you for sharing that with me.  It makes me feel so much better.  At this point I would do anything to avoid feeling the tremendous loss, but I know a new Corgi isn't going to "replace" Winston and by no means is that my intention.  Still, when I imagine a new puppy running around in the house and playing in the yard, the thought of it just makes my heart jump for joy. Winnie and I were so close and in some ways I feel a little lost without him.  I'm a well adjusted, happy person with a wonderful husband and family, and two other dogs and two cats that I adore, so I kind of struggle a little bit as to why I'm so sad and feel like I'm not going to move forward unless we get another corgi. I feel kind of pathetic because of that.  Quite honestly, I still cry several times a day and I miss him so, so much. 

I just spent a half an hour looking at every single photo you have posted, and what I'm wondering is how many corgis do you have ?  I counted four and then six.   : )  Also, I'm wondering, if the parents of a litter are both red and white, does that guarantee all the puppies will look the same ?  What I'm getting at is we really want a red and white male, for obvious reasons, and although I'd love one with very little white on his face, we would love any Corgi we could get our hands on right now, but what I'm wondering is, if we pick one out of a litter that "appears" to be one that will turn into a red and white, what are the chances it could end up being a tri color ? 

Thank you so much for all your messages, you and so many other wonderful Corgi owners, have been so helpful to me and I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

JOYCE

The breeder will know at birth which pups are red-and-white and which are tri.  It can take a little longer to tell a RHT from a BHT.   Also, they might tell you one will be red and it ends up being more sable.

Red and white parents can have tri puppies.  In Corgis, red and white is dominant to tri, which means it is possible for each red-and-white parent to carry a recessive tri gene, in which case they will probably have at least a few tri puppies.  But if either parent is homozygous red, then the pups will all be red.

I had a cat that I felt about the way you feel about your Winnie.  I have a new kitty now that I love very much, but I still miss my Alice.   That's what love is, after all.  We love all our pets, but some hold an extra special place in our hearts and those are the ones we never truly get over losing.

Thanks Beth !  I was pretty sure red and whites are dominant.  Honestly the tri colored corgis are wonderful, but we're still hoping for a red and white.  

I actually have 8 corgis, 3 are rescues and I couldn't part with the 2 out the 4 I rescued from a puppy mill! They are my heart dogs...well I guess all of my dogs are but some are more special than others. I am actually thinking of rehomimg one of my females. We have 2 farm sites(12 acres) and 3 live at the other site with people but I'm there often and they come to my house to visit. My dogs come with me so we have one big corgi family especially on my days off.

Yes, the breeder will know if they are a tri when born. Sometimes sables are a bit harder if they are going to be very light but you can see this at birth also.

Eight Corgis !  That's what my dreams are about at night !  Of course, I know it's a lot of responsibility and we wouldn't have the time to care for that many at this point in our life, but I would definitely consider two.   : )  Thanks for your answer about corgi pups and deciphering whether they'll be tri colored or red and whites.  As far as I'm concerned, no matter what color they are, Corgis are the best looking dogs in the world, but we're hoping for a red and white, with no white on the face, but will take any one we can get !  I've been meaning to ask, what would you say to me with regards to the difference between males and females ?  As I mentioned to someone else, as far as we're concerned everything we love about corgis is due to the breed itself, but what would we find to be different about a female ?  Also, as it relates to adding a new dog to the family, how would a male or female be any different.  Keep in mind we have a very docile, neutered 14 year old Westie and a very submissive, polite, extremely friendly mannered spayed Beagle foxhound mix.  No rush writing back.  I know I have a lot of questions.  I'm trying to spread  them around to everyone who writes to me.  : )  Thanks,  JOYCE

@ Joyce - It's great that you're checking all this out BEFORE rather than AFTER you bring a new puppy to your home. I've heard that 2 females can be a problem, though I have heard of many families with 2 females that get along great. Rather than risk conflict, we've always had one male and one female. Our pair that got along the best––never a little spat––were litter mates that the breeder told us were so attached that she wouldn't separate them. It was both or none. That was the great, Blandie Ijams, Roughouse Corgis, NY. RIP Blandie. Hope you're romping with your babies, Dylan and Emily. Trust a good breeder. They were inseparable. Blandie came to visit them when she was in CA to judge at the Corgi Specialty Show. She wanted to make sure her babies were in a good home!

Wendy,

What would you say are the differences between male and female corgis ?  I realize that a male corgi that lived in a household without a female might act differently than one who lived with a female, and the same thing for a female who lived in a household without a male verses one who did.  We're just trying to decide if there's any reason why we would prefer one over the other.  Winston was a boy and he got along with everyone.  Sometimes he and our female beagle foxhound would each pull on the end of a toy, and Winnie would always "win" and sometimes he would walk right up and take a toy out of her mouth and walk off, but she didn't care and there was never any animosity between them.  He got along just as well with our neutered male Westie and for that matter, our two cats !  I think Winston may have been perfect !

Yes,but remember 8 corgis can be very loud and obnoxious also(actually one is a mix and one is an Aussie). I believe that personality is more important than sex...my uneutered male(Wynn) is wonderful as is his daughter(Sage), my Therapy dog.  We have 50/50 and my high energy Livvy is very loving but more demanding. Make sure you let the breeder know what you need and why and they will try to help you find a pup that will be a good match:) I do have more competition between 2 of my females.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service