Is your corgi loose, crated or seat-belted when driving in your car?

The corgi car discussion made me wonder how all the corgi lovers drive around with their corgis in the car? Do you leave them loose riding shotgun or with the kids in the back, placed in a doggie seat belt apparatus, or in a crate? I drive a Honda Accord and mostly Lilly is loose(leash on) with my girls in the back seat. She also loves to put her front feet on the center console and look out the windowshield. Occasionally she curls up in the passenger seat. She is never allowed on me when I drive. Sometimes I feel like that is being a bad mom and I'm thinking about setting up a seat belt thing. What do all of you do?

Views: 1917

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Chloe rides in a crate.
Shayleigh generally rides loose in the car, most of the time on my lap. After reading this discussion I went out and got leash thing to strap to the seat-belt so she'd be buckled in and safe. Unfortunately, in my little car she could still get in my lap, but the harness was pulling on her, so I removed it after a few minutes.
check out my page about my harness/seat belt blog, its really neat.
Sky has a seat-belt harness that he wears. It fits around him like a harness (only it's full coverage on the chest instead of strappy) and it buckles into the seat. Lyla used to ride in a little puppy carseat (a box that was seat belted in and had a place to hook the dog's harness into the box). However, she has outgrown the carseat. When she is bigger I will get her a seat-belt like Sky, but if I got her one now, I'd just have to buy a bigger one in a couple of months. Until then she just hangs out in the front or back seat.

I also drive an Accord, but I am hoping to get an SUV soon so I can just put both dogs in the back cargo area. It would be so much easier!!
Tucker is go good in the car - thank goodness because most of my family lives 3 hours away so he goes on a bunch of car trips. I have a hammock (the one from Drs Foster & Smith) and he always looks so cozy back there. He is usually sleeping. The hammock keeps him from climbing in the front seat and also keeps him from falling on the floor but I would like to also get him a harness for some added safety on the longer rides.

Here he is sleeping in his hammock with some toys:

Please belt in your dogs! I have a harness and an adapter that connects to the seatbelt. I used to put Atlas in and Scout in their crates until I realized that if I were to ever get into an accident on the highway they would be slamming up against the inside of their crates... not good.
I still think that "slamming up" inside crates is safer than in a car with glass windows and lots of things that can crash the dog. Our crate is plastic and is on a smaller side. It is secured by a seatbelt to stay in place.
Dogs have to be harnessed here in Victoria, Australia. So Potus has a harness that clips directly into the seatbelt clip thing (technical term?). He used to have another car harness, where there is a loop on the back of the harness which you thread the seatbelt through then clip into the seatbelt clip thing. However he doesn't like to sit still and would get tangled up in the seatbelt. His new one is much better- the attachment means the harness clips directly into the seatbelt clip thing via a short piece if leash like material. Now he can turn around all he likes and not get tangled up! Potus is much happier!
Do you have a picture by chance of your set up?
Not at the moment. I'll be away for a week, but when I get back I'll take a photo.

In the mean time here's a link to an identical product.

http://www.amazon.com/Harness-Safety-Seat-system-12-28/dp/B000XKSUD6

As you can see from the pic, the attachment means the harness can be anchored directly to the seatbelt thing.
Wow, what a great price! I may have to order a couple. Thanks, Potus!
Potus, do you think if I used these on two dogs in the back seat, they might get tangled up?

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service