Is your corgi loose, crated or seat-belted when driving in your car?

The corgi car discussion made me wonder how all the corgi lovers drive around with their corgis in the car? Do you leave them loose riding shotgun or with the kids in the back, placed in a doggie seat belt apparatus, or in a crate? I drive a Honda Accord and mostly Lilly is loose(leash on) with my girls in the back seat. She also loves to put her front feet on the center console and look out the windowshield. Occasionally she curls up in the passenger seat. She is never allowed on me when I drive. Sometimes I feel like that is being a bad mom and I'm thinking about setting up a seat belt thing. What do all of you do?

Views: 1925

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I only have one dog,so I'm not sure. However you can adjust the length of the attachment so you could control whether or not they could reach each other. Just clip them in on either end of the back seat and they should be okay.
Very cool!
Bringing Wrigley home from the pound, we tried to let him loose in the backseat. I was against it, but my boyfriend (who has had many dogs in his lifetime) insisted it was safe. Halfway home, we ended up with a 40lb. dog in his lap as he tried to drive. We had to pull over and I sat with him in the backseat on his leash. When I have to drive with him alone, I use my leash with a lead on it and loop that through the seatbelt in the back. It allows him to roam slightly, but not reach the front of the car. He normally stays still and looks out the window or lays down back there now.
Violet rides in the crate in my husband's SUV but in my converable the crate does not fit so she rides in the back seat in a dog seat belt harness. She loves cruising through town, with her cool doggles and sniffing the air. She rides in the back seat mainly so her long corgi body can stretch out. I am also concerned the airbag would kill her if we got into an accident. Real kids don't ride in the front seat for that reason so my "fur kid" should be just as safe.
Sami has the entire back seat to herself with her blanket, pad and toy Lamb. She loves to get up and look at/bark at the cars in the other lanes. It was funny how she took to the back seat and behaves very well especially for a 5 month old.
Well I drive a Ford Ranger pickup so there is no place to belt in the boys. Actually they ride behind the seats (extended cab). The space is about right to keep them contained, they can't get into the front from back there. I wish their crates would fit but they don't. Being behind the seats they are out of the way of the airbags and have room to lie down and move around a bit.
Our pups basically jump in the back seat and lay down for however long we're driving. On long trips their kennels are folded up between the back and fron seats.
Shiro is always carated because we usually take him places where he gets dirty and crate is a good way to contain the mess (wet corgi covered in mud or sand). He lays down as soon as gets in the crate, it is his chill place. Those few times that we have him loose he gets all excited and tries to move around. We do it sometimes if the drive is short, but I still prefer the crate. It kinda gives him freedom to play as hard as he can outside without me being worried that he'll mess up the seats. Also crate really helps to contain all the loose hair.
It depends on the trip and who is in the car. We have a GMC Jimmy and a Ford Focus, she prefers the Focus because she can jump in without help. If it is just Ella and one human, then she rides in the passenger seat. If the passenger seat is full, then she will sit in the back seat. She is excited looking out the window, but after 5 minutes she gets bored and curls up on the sit. She always wears her collar (24/7, except bath time) and has to be leashed when outdoors. In the car she keeps both on, and I used the seatbelt of the car to "buckle" her leash handle in. This way no jumping out the windows (they don't get rolled down too far), though she hasn't tried I'm not risking it. I was considering looking into the car harnesses for dogs, but the regular harness I bought her doesn't seem shaped for a corgi. I bought her a medium walking harness, that was for her weight size. However she is so long and her neck is so skinny that it fits funny. I only use it if I know we will be walking in a crowed area, like near a parade, and I think she may get too excited.
I drive a SUV so I put Loki's crate in the back and he stays there. I do have a doggie seatbelt for him which I use on the passenger seat next to me sometimes, but he seems to prefer riding in the crate as he gets a bit nervous in the seat. If we are driving in a convertible though, he likes to sit on the passenger seat next to me, wearing his seat belt, when and only when the roof is down. Go figure..... he's high maintenance! LOL
Our dogs ride in the back...not sure why but they are almost always asleep back there. Both of them have always just laid down and went to sleep when we get into the car for a drive. Even when they are awake they stay laying down in the back.
My Brothers pittbull Scrap and our Elderly Golden Retriever mix ride in the back of the Van while Ace rides in my lap (when passenger) his booster seat or for long rides his Kennel.. if Im driving he rides in the kennel recently on the short trip up to my friends house my mom drives and i ride passenger and Ace rides in my lap free roam..

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service