We just got some very distressing news about our little Sophie. We had taken her in for testing to rule out Cushing disease. She had become "paunchy," had some hind end weakness and lethargy; my sister's dog had these same symptoms and was Dx'd with Cushing, so we thought that was a possibility. The tests came back negative for that, but her albumin levels were off. So we took her in for a re-check and a liver bile acids test, since she was due for that anyhow. (We do this every so often due to her phenobarbital for seizures being hard on the liver.) The vet told us that she felt some enlarged, slightly firm lymph nodes under Sophie's chin and did some aspirate samples to send in for analysis, too. This scares me big time. Poor little Sophie; she has had a rough go of it with her seizures (and she had been doing so well for so long lately) and now this. Tuesday will be her 10th birthday, too. I hope this turns out to be not as dire as I fear it is. Please send a good thought Sophie's way!

Views: 422

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Holly...yup Christmas Eve, that's why I have been going to him for 35 years.

Well, we just got back for the oncologist consultation. While we are still upset that Sophie has the Dx that she does, we left her office feeling better than when we went in. She was very nice and down to earth and started off by saying that her number one concern is quality of life (including pain management) and not prolongation of life just to get more days. She outlined three different treatment protocols and explained prognosis, side effects, benefits/detriments, costs and time commitments of each.She didn't feel the need for extra tests. We are thinking about our options but know we will try something since Sophie is still feeling sassy and eating like a piggy! Thanks again to all who sent good wishes and healing thoughts to Sophie; please keep 'em coming!

One of my friends had a cat with cancer and did chemo.  The cat never even missed a meal, and cats tend to go on hunger strikes if they don't feel well.   That was a year ago and the kitty is still doing well.

We had a not-so-good experience with our much-loved Alice the Cat and chemo.  But Alice was nearly 17 and the chemo was a long shot. 

Best of luck and hopefully she will continue to feel well for some time.

Chris....she definitely sounds down to earth and more concerned with how well Sophie will feel than just trying to make her live longer.  Many prayers that whichever treatment you choose gives that sweet girl a lot more time to live and love and for you to love her.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service