My Corgi isn't very affectionate. Did I do something wrong?

This has been bugging me for the longest time! My little guy, Oodeveer is over a year old and has NEVER been very affectionate. He hates to be held, will only allow me to scratch his neck or pet him for a short time, doesn't follow me around, won't lick me and just doesn't seem to "love" me like I've seen other Corgies do. Addie, his little sister is about a eight months old and is the exact opposite, she's very loving, likes to be held and cuddled and will follow me all around the house. Oodeveer is a smart dog and is very well behaved, doesn't have any aggresive or unusual behaviors, gets along well with his sister and is very friendly with strangers but he's just so ultra independent. I know dogs' personalities can vary from dog to dog but it bothers me he doesn't show affection like most other dogs. It seems he really hasn't bonded with me. Is this something unusual?

Views: 5465

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Theo is so much like my Charlie is!!!! And he IS affectionate around strangers. I am rather upset about that.

May be it's just a boy-corgi thing?
I don't know about that... Ender is very affectionate all the time (he's practically a Velcro-dog). But here's the thing... I have a theory that it might have something to do with where they sleep. Ender is crate trained, but he's allowed to sleep on my bed if he wants. He does both depending on his mood. Last night actually, he came up and put his head on my chest and went to sleep! I've read somewhere that hearing/feeling the heartbeats is very comforting to animals and babies, could this have something to do with it as well?

Aber was always reserved: very sparing with kisses, never was much of a lap dog, really just wanted to be in the room with me, but not necessarily close to me.      Kelso and Ragnar, both boys, are the exact opposite: cuddly, loving, kissy, lap dogs.   Kelso sleeps on our pillows at night and likes to rest his chin on my head or my shoulder (it's sweet, but he's very warm!), and Ragnar likes to be a teddy bear and sleep in my arms.

I think it's just an individual thing and some are just more reserved than others.  

Gwynn has a 2 ft. rule. Her comfort radius is "just barely within reach". She tolerates stroking but doesn't crave it.
Al will fall asleep in my lap or on my chest, loves touching, likes to lick sweat off my skin. Cuddle-bunny.
Remarkable distinct personalities.

What might be interesting to observe: see if you can notice differences in the dogs' behavior when they are together with you, or with you separately.
KC has grown more this way. She is now about 9 1/2 months. She has her moments when she still wants to cuddle and held but for the majority of the day she is either outside entertaining herself or she lays on the floor. She will lay under my desk for awhile but other than that it is a strictly when she is in the mood thing. We will be getting her little brother in two weeks so it will be interesting to see if she changes her mind then.
Oodeveer just may like to be on his own. Some corgis are super cuddlers, some are not. Trunks loves to cuddle up next to you and sleep. Pandora is much more independent. She likes to sleep away from us, unless she needs attention. Most of the time, she is in another room.
Wyatt will cuddle with me but nobody else, he hates being held and feeling restricted. Its strange because his cousin gives so much love to everyone. He gives me tons of kisses and makes my boyfriend jealous because he says come give daddy some kisses and wyatt ignores him completely. Poor scott feels unloved by the dog.
My Rhys and Andy were littermates. He was not a cuddler particularly (he had the teenage boy thing going: "I love you, Mom, but please don't cuddle me!"). Andy is a super cuddler! She loves to be near me - loves attention, pets, kisses.

It's not just boys who aren't cuddly, though - I have a friend with a fluffy female who practically has to pin her dog down to get a kiss!
I have a trick to make Charlie affectionate. Sounds crazy - I start singing. I guess the high tones in my voice remind him his mother-corgi. Even at walk he stops, and goes back to me, and jumps, and wags his short tail

that's so funny! He is my favorite audience :)

Sully immediately snuggles in when I sing to her. Loves is so much I used to wonder if she was deaf. I wonder if you hand your pup on your lap if he may begin to associate closeness with fun?

Grover isn't a big snuggler unless he's cold. It sounds strange, but I swear he didn't start really cuddling me until the weather changed, now he wants to be right on top of me in the bed. I will say though, that if he's out playing or what not, he wants none of it. And when we were taking his intermediate obediance class, I would see all these other owners hugging and smooching on thier dogs when they praised them, Grover NEVER let me do that in class. It was kind of embarrassing because I would try to pet and love on him when he did well in class and he would run away from me!
Just a personality thing! At least Oodeveer isn't insanely needy, right? Those dogs who can't stand to be left alone are the ones that really worry me!
It is definitely not unusual. Some corgis just don't want to be "loved" on. Zia (2 in August) isn't very affectionate either. She will come sit in the chair beside me and lay her head in my lap for maybe 2 minutes, and then she's off. She doesn't really like to be loved on either. Every great while she will let us pet her for a minute or two. She does follow me everywhere and loves to give kisses, though. She won't snuggle me at night, but will lay right up against my feet. Zack (he'll be 2 in Feb. and we just got him 4 months ago today) loves to lay on the couch with us and will lay beside us in bed. He loves to be cuddled and loved on...just don't try to lay him on his back. Zeke (Zack's littermate) is my cuddle guy! He will lay on his back in my lap, just like a baby, for hours! He loves to have his belly rubbed. He will lay beside us on the couch and give tons of kisses. He just doesn't like to sleep in the bed with us. He'd rather sleep in his crate or on his pillow in front of the tv.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service