I have recently contacted Twinkie's breeder about finding a brother for her.  Our conversation went extremely well and I think she is going to keep us in mind for one.  The only part of her email that has me chilled to the bone is when she said that breeders are getting better at isolating the fluffy gene and therefore having litters with NO fluffies!  I love the fluff!  Deep down I know that good breeders want to keep within in the standard, yada, yada, yada.  Why can't the AKC recognize fluffs?  There are both smooth and rough St. Bernards in the show ring.  I am frantic because I just love a fluff.  Can't we just call them "Glamour Coats" and get it over with?  In my experience (and what others have said here) fluffs have sweet dispositions and I think they shed less.  And cute?  Forget about it!

I know a lot of you are breeders and you can explain it to me better.  I am really afraid that fluffs will become a thing of the past

Views: 1524

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just to modify and expand a bit on my previous comment:  An excellent book on the history of the Corgi breed and how it got to be the Corgis we love today is The New Complete Pembroke Welsh Corgi.  It's well worth reading for those who want to understand a little more about the why's and wherefore's of Corgis.  

A quote from the book, referring to Corgis in the UK in the 1920s, reveals how far the dogs have come and where they could wind up again if breeders were not serious about developing and protecting the breed and adhering to a consistent breed standard:

“...the Corgi scene remained just short of ruinous chaos for several years following the granting of championship status. Cardigans and Pembrokes were classified together as a single breed in Kennel Club registry, and the two Corgi types, shown together, were judged by a single Standard.

Mongrelly-looking dogs of every description—heavy set, long and low, fine boned and terrier-like, straight fronted, with or without tails, all appeared in the Corgi ring.” - The New Complete Pembroke Welsh Corgi by Deborah S. Harper
A quick look at what the champion corgis of long ago days look like is here.
As for me, I think fluffies are charming, especially Cardigan fluffies, and their owners seem slightly more daft than most of us corgi owners already are.  ;-)  The reality is that there are no perfect dogs, only official standards for breeders to try to breed to in order to ensure that the dogs we love will improve.  I doubt that fluffies will disappear anytime soon, they are too innocent of a by product of the over all effort.   Gromit isn't perfect, according to the standard, but he's perfect for our family.

Doug said, "Gromit isn't perfect, according to the standard, but he's perfect for our family."

Hooray Doug! In the end that's what matters to those of us who aren't looking to show. Both of mine are perfect for us - altho Pip has a bad overbite. No one wanted him because of it - so we got very lucky because he's fabulous. We can't imagine life without him (and I don't think Hunter could either).

Doug,  That was fun looking at the old style corgis. Sparty looks more like that and as with Gromit has found a family he is perfect for (most of the time..:))
We fluff people are just so happy with our beautiful little accidents:) I am sure there is more involved in that fluff gene than just a fluffy coat lets hope they don't breed it out before they find out. Love ,love, love my fluff:)
I think like someone already mentioned, with all the different things to consider when breeding that fluffs will still remain.  Most reputable breeds WILL make health traits priority over fluff traits or other non-health issue's.  With all the health tests they're coming out with, fluff may be the last thing they worry about producing.  It is A criteria to consider but not the only and certainly not first in priority. Now could we see an elimination of DM? That would be nice.  I would gladly chance fluffies in my litter for the sake of DM clear.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service