I have a dilemma.

Both my dogs are registered through TDI, and we do very occasional therapy visits. Jack adores going but time does not permit as much activity as we'd like. Still, I like to keep them certified because it's nice to go on occasion, and I've also found it's a great shorthand when people are afraid to let their kids near the dogs: "It's ok, they are Therapy Dogs" reassures people more than "They are good with kids" does.

Until now, TDI required a blood test for heartworm unless the dogs is on preventative year-round. Mine both are, and honestly we don't bloodtest. Please I'm not looking for a long explanation of why we should or shouldn't: fact is, we have absolutely positively never been late on a dose since Jack was a tiny puppy. He's totally protected, I'm confident of that.

Now, TDI changed it's rules and requires a heartworm test every 2 years even if the dog is on preventative year round.

We tried today at the vet's to do Jack's blood draw, and.... uh, well it's just not going to happen. I have discussed before how Jack is claustrophobic. They had a very hard time doing the blood draw for his neuter when he was a puppy. It is now impossible. We probably could have done his back leg with him standing on the floor and me feeding him treats, but his legs are too short and they could not be sure they had the vein. Doing the front leg is impossible, even from the floor, and doing either is impossible from the table.

Please don't say this is a training issue. It is not. He has been handled since he was tiny but he absolutely wigs if you try to forcibly restrain him. He panics. He is not being mean (they were stunned he never tried to bite because he was clearly terrified). He is not being stubborn. He is having a panic attack. He made noises today I've rarely heard a dog make and he was so scared he released his anal glands (plus a ton of hair).

The only option would be to sedate him. I am leaning towards the idea that it is not worth doing this to my dog just to go on therapy visits a handful of times a year. But I am torn. I also worry about what happens if he ever needs medical help, because it is difficult for the vet to even examine him, let alone perform a procedure.

This is the dog who will calmly lay down in a room full of wheel-chairs, who ran across the dog walk in agility the first time he saw it. But try to confine him and he freaks.

Thoughts?

Views: 277

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

but a dog can't pass heartworm directly to a human. A mosquito is needed. So unless EVERY dog, cat, coyote, fox everywhere in the surrounding area is tested and treated for heartworm it wouldn't make any difference if a therapy dog had it. Joe schmoe with his dog walking by the front of the hospital/nursing home would be just as likely to be bitten by a mosquito as a therapy dog......dunno, just my opinion.
Yeah, I kinda think it's silly too.   I guess maybe they are coming at it from the angle that by not asking for blood tests, they are unintentionally promoting the idea that there is no need to test.   I get the fact that even a dog on preventatives all year can rarely contract heartworm, but the flip side to that is Jack is certainly not the only dog who won't stand for bloodwork.   Sedation, no matter how mild, can be risky and the people at the vet's office said that when a dog is fully sedated their BP drops to the point that they sometimes have a hard time even getting a sample.   So basically I think it's up to the owner to weigh one set of risks (rare chance of heartworm) against the other (chance of dog reacting to sedation and/or hurting himself fighting restraint) and make that decision.  Since there is zero risk to the people the dog is visiting, I don't know why TDI cares.  They allow titer testing after puppy shots are complete, rather than revaccination, so in some ways they are very liberal and then they came up with this.  I am thinking of e-mailing them and explaining the situation.

HI Beth, we are with Love on a Leash and they don't require the tests. I don't know if there is a chapter in your area, but I found a list and contact info for groups nationwide. Hopefully this will be helpful!

http://www.dogplay.com/Activities/Therapy/join.html#PENNSYLVANIA

I think it was Bella who had the jugular blood draw and the vet held as she was new and the tech did the draw...it went very smooth. Bella had been resisting and moving when they tried her legs! This of coarse was during her bout of throwing up and being really sick.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service