When I got Selphie, I decided I was going to try positive only training techniques, clickers and praise and the like. Well, it's been almost 2 weeks and she hasn't learned anything! She still pottys all over the house (when we see her potty on the floor, we take her immediately to one of the 4 puppy pads we have spread around our 1 bedroom apartment and praise her... she doesn't seem to care, she will pee all over the house and poops right in front of the door) When she plays with our other dog, she's extremely rough, biting and snapping at him, constantly jumping on him, pulling his tail, biting his privates, biting his ears, he yelps and runs, trying to avoid her, he's not dominant and won't correct her unless she's biting him while he's chewing on a toy or bone. When he's in his crate eating or trying to take a nap, she will scratch and bite the door and sides of his crate, barking at him, growling. We've tried over and over to distract her with a squeaky toy or by calling her name... at first it worked, now she completely ignores us. She also growls and bites at us when we talk or pet her, when we pick her up she squirms and growls, trying to nip our hands. Clicker training is proving to not work at all, we've charged the clicker, but she loses interest in toys OR food after about 6 rounds, not even BEGINNING to learn anything before she gets bored and starts getting aggressive with us, nipping our hands, pawing, trying to get the treat without doing any work.

Peanut was trying to eat in peace in his crate a moment ago and she was pawng and chewing and barking at the bars, I kept placing her in front of her bowl and she'd just run over to the crate, I have tried sharply saying NO... doesn't phase her, in fact, she just barks back... finally I had to spank her, this immediately stopped her and she went to eat......... HELP?!

And now you see, I have lost hope in her being a therapy dog, she's just too much of a bully. Also, she's 9 weeks old, was with her brothers and sisters till she was 7.5 weeks old.

Views: 319

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

what a precious fur ball!!

Seanna was HORRIBLE to potty train.  She went well over a year before she didn't have any accidents anymore.  She also had problems with bladder infections until around that age.  She has an extra fold of skin that keeps urine from getting out so bacteria grows.  I started keeping her wee-wee area hair trimmed down and wiping her periodically with baby wipes, and the problems went away.

As for the stubborness....welcome to corgi land.  I noticed a huge increase in Seanna's listening once we went to puppy school.  We did 5 classes total...puppy, obedience 1 & 2, rally, and agility twice.  The more I worked her and gave her a goal, the better she did.  Make your puppy work for every bit of kibble you give her.  Seanna was a pro at learning new tricks.  We aimed for one a week, and she did great.  As she got older, her ability to focus got better too.  We still have many days though where she looks at me when I tell her to do something, she looks at what she wants to do, looks at me  again like "is it worth it", and then goes and does what she wants anyway.  Then we break out the nothing in life is free program, and the leash, and we go back to "I'm the boss".  It really does go back to them having to think independently to herd the cattle.  Be patient!  It takes a lot of time, and they need to learn to trust you and your instincts.  She is still quite little, and learning.  Wait until the "teenage years"....around 9 months.  You think she's bad now!!  Just start laying down the rules and things will turn around.  You can always try leashing her and then tying the leash to your belt so she has to follow you and go by your rules.  I've heard it works quite well....

You've gotten really good advice already, but I just wanted to add that she is still incredibly young to be expected to do all these things. She's just a baby! I would definitely agree with limiting her freedom - leash her to your belt loop if you have to. She should not be able to pee or poop without you noticing immediately. I personally would skip the potty pads if possible. I know it's a huge pain in the rear to take a puppy out every ~hour, but I really think it's worth it in the long run. The pads really seem to confuse a lot of puppies.

If she's being really snarky with your older dog I would keep them separated and/or monitor their activity together until she learns better manners. Puppy class should help with this, also sometimes vets, shelters, or daycares will offer play times as well which I would look into. Right now she really just doesn't know any better. I would also crate both of them while they eat.

For training sessions, keep them really short. Like 2 minutes if that. A puppy's attention span is incredibly short and you want to end on a happy, fun note. What are you using for training treats? If you have some tiny pieces of hotdog or even actual chicken I would try that. My pem was a treat snob!

I highly recommend NILF training, it worked great for my stubborn boy. Also for situations like where she wouldn't leave your other dog's crate alone, I would use body blocks and a strong ENNHH noise or "leave it" to keep her away. Yeah you may have to leg check her a bit but she'll get the idea eventually and it's better than spanking her IMO.

I think many of your issues will disappear if you crate train her. I can't even begin to tell you how helpful that was for me. Franklin was hard to potty train as well, and I think it was because I used the potty pads. He came to me at 8 weeks old crate trained and fairly well potty trained (i.e. he knew outside was potty time). I lived in a 3rd story apartment and thought that using a potty pad would be easier than taking him down 3 sets of stairs every hour, BOY WAS I WRONG!!! I actually didn't have him fully potty trained until I moved to an apartment where I could take him outside to potty, the potty pads do just really confuse things. If you crate train, don't use pads, and limit her freedom I bet you will have her pretty reliably potty trained by 6 or 7 months old. Another thing, she is still very young like everyone said, however, she is a corgi! The are exceptionally smart and do need a job and some kind of activity to stimulate their brain, even the puppies. Just don't expect any intense training sessions that last more than a few minutes. you'll be suprised at how much they can learn with 2 or 3 minute training sessions.
i would like tell you how much i sympathize with your situation, i cried many a tear over my Carly but she has gotten so much better @ almost a yr im seeing a much improved girl.. hang in there take her to classes , and walk her alot~ i have high hopes and im not a bit sorry for all my work..its paying off

Wow, I think I'll say my grateful prayers for a dog who was amazingly easy to house train. We got Abby at 7 weeks, and the breeder had not started any potty training. She is now 7.5 months, and I would have to say has been fully reliable since around 4 months. We had very few pee accidents in the house, I don't think even a half dozen, and no poops. We did not use pads at all or newspapers, because the breeder used papers and let the pups drag them around and rip them up...It was outside only, and we kept a diligent eye on her at all times, and learned to read her body language. We also took her out about every hour for the first week, but she was crated at night (a 24" crate with a divider - she started out using about 1/3 of it! They feel safer in a space not too big, and are less likely to mess it) , and went thru the night right from the very beginning.

After the 2nd week, we had to go back to work, and she was in an ex-pen attached to her crate and one of us came home at lunch for feeding and potty break, trying not to leave her more than 3-4 hrs at a time. For the first week or so of this, we would have one puddle each time, and then she quickly was able to go the half day with no problem. We still come home to break up her day, but she can go 8 or more hours if needed.

She also started puppy play group at 8 weeks (Our Petco store has a great trainer, and they will start at 8 wks with vet approval, and she still goes once or twice to this free romp time .She is also on her 4th training class and now goes to doggy daycare one day a week. We both work with her every day, and breakfast kibble is hand fed in exchange for tricks, and then she also gets combed while finishing breakfast. She only recently has had access to the living room and dining room when we are in other areas of the house- we used to keep it gated off unless we were in there too. When we are gone she is gated in the kitchen, we gradually expanded her area from the ex-pen to 1/4 of the kitchen, then 1/2 of the kitchen, and now all of it. At some point she will graduate to having the full main area for the day, but not just yet.  It has been a huge amount of effort, but it has paid off. She is absolutely the best dog. At night she sleeps in her crate in the kitchen, at some point I may leave her door open, but she doesn't complain. Ocasionally I think about letting her sleep in our bedroom at night, but again, she doesn't complain, so why fix what ain't broke?? Actually, she just put herself to bed now, came and poked me in the leg and climbed into the crate. She likes to get her beauty sleep!

She is bossy and sassy and stubborn, not a submissive dog by any means, so all this work was necessary

If you CAN take her outside to potty then you SHOULD.   Give up the potty pads, with dogs it is location, location, location, they don't know the difference between peeing on a pad in the house or just peeing in the house. She is way too young to hold it,  and is going to just pee when ever just like a baby cause that is what she is. But if she does poo by the door then she is trying to tell you something.  When she walks passed the door take her out right away. You might be surprised.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service