i was wondering what the proper weight is for a male corgi? i took teddy into the vet today for a check up and to also get some heart worm meds also. he use to weigh 28pounds but now weights 32.1  does he look like he needs to lose weight? my vet says he could lose a couple pounds but said she really dosnt know to much about corgis as she has never seen one lol

Views: 1465

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I see what u are saying. I am just stunned because he gets an hour walk everyday and even some off leash time. Fetch And frapping time in the back yard. About 3times a week I take him to the lake for 4hours. There is a dog park there along with a 2 mile trail That we always go on. He loves to swim as well. Last night I felt his muscles and they are rock hard. It makes me think that maybe he is mostly muscle, as fat weighs less. Could this be right?
At Baron's last vet apt he was 32.3 pounds.  The vet said he was okay, but not to let him get any heavier.

i think i am going to switch vets as when i was asking some questions yesterday they had no idea how to answer them, im starting to think they dont know anything. obviously not what i am looking for. i had 2 amazing vets in SC and i do miss them, one was all about corgis and knew how to answer my questions.

i think 32 is good for a male as they tend to be bigger than the females. how old is Baron? he sure is a cutie:)

I think this is just one of those instances where you have to go by your dog's body and no one else's. Henry would be a butterball at 32 lbs for example. Make sure you can very easily feel his ribs, that he has good tuckup at the abdomen. Maybe this chart would be helpful? 

Another thing you could is just measure him, is he bigger than the standard? I don't rely on my vet for very corgi-specific things, they are just not common enough in this area for me to be comfortable trusting her very limited experience. I think a lot of people do let their corgis get overweight unfortunately so people are used to seeing them that way as well.

Size, Proportion, Substance
Height (from ground to highest point on withers) should be 10 to 12 inches. Weight is in proportion to size, not exceeding 30 pounds for dogs and 28 pounds for bitches. In show condition, the preferred medium- sized dog of correct bone and substance will weigh approximately 27 pounds, with bitches approximately 25 pounds. Obvious oversized specimens and diminutive toylike individuals must be very severely penalized. Proportions--Moderately long and low. The distance from the withers to the base of the tail should be approximately 40 percent greater than the distance from the withers to the ground. Substance--Should not be so low and heavy-boned as to appear coarse or overdone, nor so light-boned as to appear racy.

thank you very much for the chart:). after me and my husband looked at it we feel he is at the 5. he is very fit, in our option but then again everyone has there own options. when i measured his height he is at a 12. i have put new pics on my page so if you or anyone wants to take a better look at him feel free and give me your option.

Yep, Maddie looked porky at 30 when she put on a few "holiday pounds" this winter.   She was 28 pounds when we brought her home from her breeder (she was a retired show dog).  When I took her to CGC class, the instructor said "She's skinny.  (pause).  Or are most Corgis just fat?"   I laughed and said most are fat. 

I have been keeping Jack super-skinny because of agility, and at 33 pounds he's probably a low 4 on the chart.  He looks great at around 36.   Maddie would be rolling around at 36.  But then again, while she doesn't look that much shorter than him, if they both stand on their hind legs to look out the window he's almost a head "taller" than her.  And he has a massive chest.

He turned one year old in January.  Thanks.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service