I've had Corgis my whole life and that's a lot of years. Corgis are working dogs that need meaningful activity and discipline. The time to start training is when your baby Corgi comes home. Corgis are very smart and they will be a step ahead of you, if you let them. DON'T let them. They love to know the rules, work hard and be praised. The earlier you start lovingly training your puppy, the more rewards you will have later with your adult Corgi who listens for your command and happily performs it. A rescue dog needs the same training, but first needs to trust its new family. Knowing that your rescue is experiencing a hard transition will hopefully make you more patient and compassionate. Be loving and earn the trust of your rescue. But whether a puppy or a rescue, train your Corgi well and as early as you can. Every Corgi and owner thrive through combined work and effort.

Views: 1394

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@ Wendy...you enjoy ALL those special times...I am so glad he is starting to show affection...I do love it when Sage climbs in bed at night to cuddle...she loves to lay next to me and even though all my dogs jump up to say good night...she gets to stay there!
Where does one begin? With the perfectly trained corgi who decides he can all of a sudden misbehave at age 2 and blame it on the rescue tri who of course was the one who was blamed? Or dead computers with years of pictures on them?

Odie and Lucy would have agreed, I think! Odie would just roll his eyes at Lucky's antics, but then he discovered that he could do things and Lucky was blamed. Game on!! It took us quite some time to figure it out. Now Odie is gone, Lucky continues his crazy antics. I would not trade either one for anything. And of course, both of them think or thought they know or knew more than I do!

I sure wish we had had a back up for our computer!! It died about a year ago, we lost SO many photos. I am going to check into carbonite.
@carol - most things that you think are lost are retrievable. if they're important to you, esp. photos, if carbonite doesn't work, bring it to a computer repair. I've had many things recovered that I was sure were lost.
So...this morning I was eating oatmeal in the livingroom, yes I know better! Lucky, who seal walks so he has very strong front legs, was told to lay down (my husband forgot to tell him to stay!) Next thing I know, he is still in a down and pulling himself all over the livingroom and diningroom! What does go through these corgi minds? Mike was having a fit, but he really was to blame (I was afraid to point it out or to laugh) Mike puts him out without his wheels, he is incontinent, he is bunny hopping to poop and falls off his ramp. While in his wheels he runs over everything in his way. (I notice the new hose is now shredded) Maybe he could go live at Jane's or Jack and Wendy's and help with the training of the youngsters - I am sure that his corgi mind could be tranfered and they could all get into great amounts of trouble, just as Jane and I could get into great amounts of trouble if we were together!

We have also figured out how Sonny the Two-Wide Corgi gets out of the triple wide fence! He is on a diet to try to reduce his 40# frame, but in his corgi mind he is starving. He has been eating zucchini off the vine, weeds from the piles, arugula out of the pots on the deck and spent thistle seed. 3X lately he has appeared outside of the fence by the front gate - he has gone over the rocks under the thistle feeder, slipped under the triple wired fence (we don't have good soil, it is sand) eaten the spent seed somewhere along the way because his mouth is caked, slid down the steep hill and then he makes his way up the drive!! At least he is getting a little exercise! He is rescue #2 who was never trained or socialized in his old home, we also think he never had dog food but just ate people food. We are working on the training and socializing of him - he is 9. He is now a very loving dog but would really like to just eat and sleep!!! Jeremy got him to go down to get the paper the other morning by bribing him with a pretzel! That's Sonny, "will work for food" I might put him on a corner in town.
I think Jane, you and I could get into some serious mischief if we got together! LOL. We could gather up all of our pets and we could ignor them they could ignor us. Oh what fun and antics would follow...
Too bad we live so far away...we might be able to get into lots of trouble with or without our dogs:):):) Gotta have some fun right?????? Or we could blame it on the dogs??????
Let's blame it on the dogs!!! ; )
My husband would just say..."there she goes again" I'm a bit of a rebel...always have been! maybe it's because I'm an Aries!
Figures! I'm a Leo. We're both fire signs.
make sure you reply to my new discussion...I am interested if certain signs make a difference in corgi ownership...are we more up for the challenge?????
whoops! just got home from a party, so i'll save my comments until i'm sober!
but if we consider our signs, shouldn't we consider our corgis signs?
YUP...just posted all the signs...

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service