Seanna got out of surgery today about 11:30. The vet said she did great. He said her cruciate ligament was completely torn, but the meniscus was OK. They keep them on a morphine/lidocaine/ketamine drip today/tonight, and get her up this evening to walk. She's going to be alone tonight from midnight to 5am, but they take them to the 24 hour emergency clinic overnight if they have any doubts that they're not doing well. He said she can come home tomorrow morning at 9am. We have to meet with him again then, and go over follow-up appointments and the rehab schedule. I'm so glad that she made it through OK--but I'm not looking forward to seeing her so painful tomorrow.

Views: 53

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How's Seanna doing????
How is she today?
Hope it all works out well. We had a cat who blew its ACL in along fall. The result was not 100% (he was never able to play football afterwards) but lived a long healthy life with only a trace of a limp, if you were looking for it.
UPDATE: Sorry I haven't posted all weekend! I had to work 12 hours each day....

Seanna is doing great! She actually loves her puppy pen, goes straight in there when we come back in from outside. I think she knows that she can't be bothered by the other dog in there. We've started keeping her in there at night so she has more room to move with the collar on, and she's not whining anymore. She still hates the collar, gives me "the look" when I put it on her, but no longer cries. Thank goodness! It broke my heart.

She is actually putting a little weight on her leg. She'll use it to steady herself when she's standing, and is putting a little weight on it walking. The surgeon called Saturday to see how she was doing, which I thought was really nice, and said she is right where she should be with her recovery. We had a flub Saturday morning, which I didn't know about until I got home from work. I put her in her puppy pen when I left at 6:30am, and my daughter said when she got up at 10:00am Seanna was laying on the floor outside her door. Soooo--there was a 3 hour period she had free reign of the house. I can pretty much guarentee that she was jumping up and down off the couch to look out the window. I called our emergency clinic, and they were pretty sure that she hadn't done any damage, that she'd be lame again if she tore anything. She was still acting the same as she was when I left, so that made me feel better. We're thinking that our German Shepherd mix unlatched the gate for her. She is an extremely smart dog, and has no problem unlatching gates. We have one that has a slide you have to slide, then lift up the latch--and she just jumps up, moves the slide with her paw, then lifts the latch with her nose. To spring Seanna from jail, all she had to do was step on the latch to the puppy pen. I have been so careful, I was almost 100% sure that I latched it before I left. Let's just say there are now lots of bungee cords everywhere.

We have our first appointment with the rehab doctor tomorrow to talk about the schedule for hydrotherapy and what ever else she wants us to do. I'll keep you updated!!
We wish Seanna a speedy recovery!! Sending many healing thoughts your way!!!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service