Update: Thanks everyone for the advice! I was actually able to get into the vet first thing this morning, and they said her incision looks just fine! Thank goodness. I'll be keeping a closer eye on her till she's healed.

Ein's spay was on Monday. She has an ecollar but we've only been putting it on her at night or when unsupervised. I don't know if she snuck in a few licks or if she opened it from jumping or walking down the steps out of the house to go to the bathroom or what, but I noticed tonight (about 11:30 pm) that the scab is gone and the incision was open. Not gaping open. It's pink and no discharge. Doesn't seem to be in pain. I won't have a car tomorrow, so I won't be able to bring her to the vet, although I could certainly find a way if it were an emergency. How serious is this? Anyone else have this happen?

Views: 253

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Ingrid, it can be serious if she continue to jump and walk in grass / moisture / dirt, clean the area and keep her as calm as possible.

I had this happen but it wasn't really open because of all the inside stitches. I took mine to the vet and he wrapped her with vet wrap around the middle which she wore for quite awhile. Mine was taking the steps also. I would take her in and as Sam said be careful. Good luck!

Don't let her walk down the steps...It will stretch her scab/stitches.

Confine her in a small area if you can and give her some potty break (I remember you said she didn't need potty break quite often...)

The first week after the spay is crucial and you want her to have the boredest time of her life... and then she could gradually have her normal life back.

Call the vet and see what they say.  They may want to see her.

Thanks everyone for the advice! I was actually able to get into the vet first thing this morning, and they said her incision looks just fine! Thank goodness. I'll be keeping a closer eye on her till she's healed.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service