I'm not understanding the pricing of sterilization.

I asked 5 different vets in my area their ballbark charge for a neutering. All around it was approximately 300$, with no price break if it was a spay or a neuter. The break down of fees said this included pre-surgery bloodwork, the sedation, and the take home medications. One vet was even very short with me when I asked how much it was without pre-surgery bloodwork. He said no responsible vet would do it. When I asked why shelters didn't do it, he hung up on me.

The shelter costs were about 25-35$ depending on if it was a spay or neuter, and with the caveat that there would be a additional charge if there was an undescended testicle. Alright, makes sense.

That's a huge difference but I figured that the shelters are probably subsidized or working on a volunteer basis with some vets.

When I couldn't get a hold of the shelters I came across some sterilization foundations that ranged from 65-75$ for spay/neuters, flat fee. That's a little better. Availability is not great. Talking to one of these people she refered me to a few clinics that had discount surgeries which she admitted were "a little more". I assumed that it would be in the 300$ range like the other vets.

Contacting one of those vets he said he regularly did spay and neuters for 95-100$, barring in unforeseen issues, and didn't suggest pre-surgery bloodwork for healthy young dogs. I ultimately picked this mid-range clinic.

So my question is, where the hell are they getting these numbers? Are they just competeing in different markets, or is there an actual cost difference of staff and resources?

Does anyone know?

Views: 125

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have noticed that small/large animal clinics had better prices, but the one near my house seems to be getting more of the suburb clients and less of the large animal clients as the urbanization of this area works its magic.
I have a lot of farms in my area, so the wife Vet takes care of the small animals and her husband handles the large farm animals. They own their building and run a large animal supply business as well, so I think this helps with the costs.
Starbuck's spay is coming up, and it's going to be around 400, including her microchip. There are low cost alternatives, but I'm nervous to use them. I like her vet and have talked extensively to him about the procedure, so I feel comfortable with him doing it. That said, 400 is a whole lot compared to the 80 at a low cost clinic. I'm just concerned about the care and quality she would get. She's our little baby girl and couldn't fathom anything happening to her.
I think I paid just over $250- Australian dollars that is, and that was including the additional pain killers (how could I not get my baby the extra pain relief?) It was done at a high quality vet surgery- not a low cost clinic, and didn't include microchipping (he was already chipped when we got him) Looking at the receipt it included fluids, castration and vaccines. (I'm not sure about bloodwork-I'm not sure if its common to get it done pre-surgery here in Australia.) It was pricey but we felt well worth it- we trusted the vet wholeheartedly and knowing he was at a good surgery helped to ease our own worries.
In my area it is about $400 to spay with the vet. I had to do that with my oldest dog, the other came pre-done. I think it depends a great deal on individual costs. Is the vet still paying off his college bills, the cost of the rent for the facility, have they baught a new X Ray machine lately. These are the costs associated with my job, I am a motel manager. My motel is significantly less expensive because the owners have no mortgage and the family does all the work themselves. More employees = higher costs.

And yes the rescue/shelter would have it for less. Vets can volunteer their time and write off the time as an expense/donation. So the shelter wins, the vet wins, and most importantly the dogs win.
I don't know but that is a crazy amount!! I was able to get a voucher from the local shelter and took Chesney to her regular vet. With the voucher I only had to pay 20 for the spay and then 6 for the pain killers. Thank goodness too! My husband hasn't been able to work in 3 years because of back surgeries and I had just gotten my hours cut back drastically! It was a huge relief!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service