Baron is now 2 years old and is still limping.  He limps after only a short walk or when he wakes up. He is still such a happy puppy, always wanting to play soccer and go for runs.  He has two speeds: run or stop. We have him scheduled for a follow up visit with the Veterinary Orthopedic surgeon that saw him in September on Wednsday.  We have to drop him off at 6:30 am (a 90 minute drive). so he can go under anesthesia for the x-rays.  Please pray that surgery will be an option to cure his limping and bleeding paws. Is it too late to crate train him?  The doctor had said that he will need 2-3 months crate rest after the surgery.

Views: 570

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, we went to the vet and the news was not good.  The right front elbow is severly deformed.  He also now has arthritis and bone spurs on the elbow.  The vet suggested arthroscopic surgery to clean out the joint and remove any offending bone chips and spurs.  He has less than a 50% chance of full recovery.  We were sent home with Meloxicam and glucosamine and exercise restrictions to one 15 minute walk daily and no running or jumping.  We are going to see another veterinary surgeon on Feb 21 for a second opinion.

Baron's only complaint was no food or water from 7pm last night till 12pm today and then was given only a small amount of food. He doesn't seem to understand exercise restrictions, presently herding the cat, the ball and begging for food all at the same time.

I'm sorry the news was not better :(

What does less than full recovery mean? He might keep the limp or have lifelong motion restriction? He's so young, it's hard to keep them inactive!

We walk regularly with a 10 year old cardi who has arthritis and bone chips in his elbow. He can't manage long walks, but for under a mile he does pretty well. Glucosamine helps a lot.

I hope you get better news at the second consult.

It means due to the deformity of the elbow his problem cannot be fixed. All they are going to do is debride the arthritis and bone spurs for a temporay fix, then physical therapy.  He will probably have lifelong motion restrictions.  He seems to do okay with one to two mile walks.  The Glucosamine seems to help as well.  I don't lke the idea of daily antiinflamatories on a dog so young.  The vet said one dose daily for 7 days and then give prn.  Hoping for better news.  Does the vet want to operate on your cardi with the arthritis and bone spurs?

Our best wishes to Baron! Sparty was on anti inflammatory drugs for over a year about 6 years ago due to a partial CL tear and is now 12 and up until our latest bout with an infection has been fine. They checked his blood regularly. He continues to love long walks and rule the house. He says to Baron, "Hang in there!"

Thanks Bev and Sparty. 

The daily antiinflammatories was one of the deciding factors for us to opt for surgery with Sidney, I was also worried about it. WE still have a prescription of Rimadyl that we are supposed to give as needed, but we honestly haven't had to give him any.

It's a friend's cardi, not mine. I'm not sure if they offered surgery or not, but I'll ask him when I see him and let you know.

Hi Teresa--sending good thoughts, prayers and corgi hugs your way....

Thanks.

Poor Baron!  I was hoping for better news.  When Seanna had her ACL surgery, the surgeon said she was already forming arthritis, and had bone spurs.  He said the old way of thinking was to go in and clean all that up, but they found that it actually was causing new, more severe arthritis than just leaving the old alone.  Do you have a vet school near you you could take him to?

We don't have a vet school near us.  But the vet we're getting a second opinion from teaches veterinary surgery.  I also agree with your vet that the surgery will cause more problems in the long run.

So sorry for the bad news.   Maybe the second opinion vet will have more options.   Poor pup.  Hard when they are so young.  Can they say whether the problem is congenital or from an injury?   You might want to let the breeder know in case any other dogs from that line pop up with problems.

Best of luck.  Please keep us posted.

Sorry to hear about Baron. I'll be keeping him in my prayers.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service