I have been thinking to start an emergency recall training with my pup, since we go hiking every weekend. The places we go are usually well-marked trails, but it is always better to be prepared for some powerful recalls.

I will use fried bacon as the treat for emergency recall (Get the idea from John Wolff, thanks!).

But how should I start the training? The same as the regular recall (inside then outside, and then more distractions)? If so, how I could make sure the dog comes every time so it could become the emergency recall?

Views: 158

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I bought Really Reliable Recall DVD from Leslie Nelson. It was totally worth it for me and Ace - his recall is pretty much spot on, now. Start with ZERO distractions, and short distance. Every time you raise one criteria, go easier on another. It can take a long time, but it's worth it!

I just bought it as your recommended. Hope we could get some great result as you did with Ace:-)

I would start with having a good "come" and then add a emergancy "call". Sage knows if I say "come" she can take her time when coming....but if I say "Sage come front" she comes running fast from wherever she is and plops her butt right in front of me. We just practiced and it worked with high end treats of coarse. I don't have any good advice how to get this.

Introduce the Emergency Recall command word when you KNOW the dog will come, when the dog has to be restrained from coming to you by an assistant -- it's hungry, has smelled and seen the reward.  Set up for success and make it easy at first.

Lavish, over-the-top praise.

Do 3x.  Maybe a couple times a day, every day, for weeks, adding difficulty gradually.  [teach addition before calculus]

fry the bacon kinda crisp, then refrigerate so it won't go bad.  Keep in tight screw-cap pill bottle or somesuch.

Eventually, you might fade out treats (?).  But I always do refresher training with bacon, or at least some treat.

We learned the emergency recall in a class we took last winter - it's been one of the best things we've learned!   Just to add to some of what has already been said, some of the keys were:

1) Use a very high value treat like bacon, as John suggests.    I cook up some ground turkey and stick it in the freezer and then pull out what I need. 

2)  Practice 3 times a day for the first 2 weeks and then gradually reduce that (e.g. once a day for the next 2 weeks, etc).   When you start out make sure that you are 100% confident the dog is going to come to you (e.g. in the house, focused on you, etc.) and then only gradually make it more challenging.  

3)  Practice at random times and don't let your dog see you get the "special" treats out... you don't want them to make that association ;->

4)  Use a different word/body language/voice than you use for your normal "come" command, preferably something you don't use in everday conversation.   We use "Vite" and then I raise my arms up high (and use a louder/higher pitched voice)... but that's just an example.  The body language is very helpful in case you are in a situation where they may not hear you...

5)  When your dog comes to you - party down big time - be very lavish with the praise and treats for an extended period of time (much longer than you normally would 20+ seconds).   Basically you want to make it REALLY exciting to come to you.  The idea being that you practice it enough to begin with that your dog's first instinct is to come running back to you.

It's definitely the single most useful thing that I've learned...  which reminds me, I need to do a refresher on it.    Fortunately I haven't had to use it in a "real" emergency situation but I have had to use it when Chewey is being a pest (e.g. going after an intact male dog on the beach ;-<).

Thanks Diane! These are very useful tips.

I couldn't wait town work on it with my pup.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service