We just got our first Corgi puppy and I am a bit confused on what type of food I should feed him. Our Vet told us that Purina was a good food and then I have heard that it is a horrible dog food and then I have heard that same about Iams, Science Diet... So, I don't know what to feed him! I went ahead and bought a small bag of Iams just to get us by until I did some research on what type to feed him!
So help! Anyone have any suggestions or information on this?
and
How much do I feed him? Our Vet gave us some canned food b/c he's belly was upset and he wasn't feeling his best so the vet wanted something that would be light on his stomach but told us give little bitty amounts several times a day so to equal 1/4 cup. He seems to always be starving and wanting more! so how much should I feed him?

Views: 313

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for everyone's comments! After doing some research, Has anyone ever tried AvoDerm? I have read that it is good for their skin and coat and it is a natural product. I think I am going to go with either Wellness or AvoDerm...
We gave Avoderm a try, but the dogs did not like it as much as Wellness or Canidae. Good luck, I hope you find one your pup really likes!
Bertie won 90 pounds of AvoDerm from our local pet store in a raffle (which specializes in natural foods and holistic stuff) -- he loved it, and it was actually lower in fat, so easier to keep him at a good weight (he's a very big boy, and typically weights about 38 lbs, but is a few inches taller and longer than the Corgi "standard"). He also likes California Natural.
Neither of our Corgi's will touch dried food, to the point that the little one had not eaten for 3 days, and believe me we had tried every single dried food our pet store had, and then some from supermarkets as well. We have to feed them canned food, not ideal but so far both dogs are gaining weight nicely, we dont have massive amount of pooping and they both exercise well.
I was in the same spot you were a year ago. The breeder had Bailey on Purina Puppy chow..... he hated it. would eat it as a last resort. then we read more about dog food and chose nature's recipe. well turned out that wasnt quite so great, even without the fillers. We now have Bailey on Wellness (Super5Mix - Chicken) and he LOVES it. He'll even do tricks for his kibble. hahaha =D It's natural,and uses only human grade ingredients. They also make a great line of treats, and has never been recalled, as far as i know. They have a puppy recipe too, which we had bailey on before we switched to the adult chicken.

good luck on the choice!. I also hear Canidiae, Merrick's, California Natural, and Blue Buffalo is good.

Just remember, don't make your choices based on price - as you usually need to feed less of the "better" food, thus, it can actually be cheaper. and oh the better the food, the less the poo (because the less indigestible fillers like corn).
Shippo was fed Canidae All Life Stages for the first two years of his life, and he did great on it. I have to say, I really like All Life Stages food from my personal experiences. I believe that in most cases, "Puppy," "Senior," "Lite" etc. is just a marketing gimmick in order for the dog food companies to sell you more product.

Also, the right wet food is not fatty. In fact, most high quality wet foods have less carbs and less calories than kibble. Carbs are what they use to get the dry food to stick together and and form kibbles, so it takes a lot more carbs to make dry food than it does wet. Also, carbs are one of the main things that stick to the dog's teeth and form plaque (so that whole teeth cleaning thing is out the window lol). For example: In order to get my cat to lose weight, I had to put her on an all wet diet, because kibble had too many carbs for her.

Since Canidae changed their formula, I've had to switch my dogs to a different food. Shippo is now being rotated between Nature's Variety - Instinct and Prairie (basically it just has to do with which one I can afford that month lol). Also an All Life Stages food.
A good website for you to do some research at is www.dogfoodproject.com - they provide all the info you need on making an informed decision about what food is best for your dog. Any clients that ask me about food I send them to that website and then tell them if they want me to recommend some brands I can, but I'd rather them make an informed decision first and learn about proper canine nutrition and what to look for on the ingredients list on the back of the bag. Most grocery store or big box store brands are not healthy for dogs and are made of cheap ingredients.

I buy my dogs food from a health food store. Their poop is much firmer, less smelly and they have glossy coats and good teeth. I do agility so I feed a higher calorie food than what most corgis would need but they also only eat half a cup of food a day because of the amount of calories in it. It's a myth that higher-quality foods are more expensive - in the long run you're feeding less than you would a grocery store brand so you are saving money.

I recommend any brand by Natura.
we have ein on his purina puppy chow. he loves it :) this was recommended from our breeder. sometimes we'll give him a dollop of cottage cheese with his food for some extra calcium and so his coat will be shiny. again, recommended by our breeder. we feed him about 1 cup twice a day (breakfast & dinner). i've read that you really have to be strict with your corgi's diet since they gain weight so easily. we combat this by daily exercise! so whatever diet you choose for your corgi, just be sure to keep them moving! ein's happy being slim and trim!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service