UPDATE:  The vet just called!  Lab tests back and it WASN'T cancer!!!  We made the right decision with the surgery!  Vet said that if we would have waited until this Monday for the surgery, he couldn't do it because he got sick, so good thing we had it done last Friday!!  What a relief!!! Yesterday he started limping on his front leg, but this morning he isn't limping quite as much on the front leg that had the IV.

We dropped Bucher off at the vet for surgery this morning.  We are so nervous!  Keep hoping we have done the right thing!  Boo has seen 3 different vets and all said that we should have the surgery!  We are keeping our fingers crossed!!!

Since Bucher was diagnosed with anaplasmosis last fall, he went on the antibiotics, and everything was supposed to be okay.  I have been saying that I didn’t think he ever snapped back to his normal self.  We took him to the vet today, after many calls to the vets, for x-rays.  He has a tumor on his spleen.  We have to make an appt. for an ultra sound to see if it is contained or has spread.  If it hasn’t spread the vet feels removing it should give Boo the chance to have a normal life.  Has anyone else had any experience with tumors on the spleen (Boo will be 10 in October)?  This was so not the news that we wanted to hear!  The vet just called back and our appt. for the ultra sound is 1:00 pm Monday. Keep your fingers crossed for Boo!  :(

Views: 175

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good luck on Monday:)
Thanks!  I think I have myself so worried that I have the hives! :(

I am so very sorry,

My heart, and prayers are truly with you

comancheflame

Update:

We just got back from the vet with the ultra sound. It looks like the tumor hasn't spread! His stomach looks good, the vet thought that Boo looked in really good shape and if it was his dog he would go ahead with removing the tumor. The tumor is one sold mass and no bloody cysts. We scheduled to have the tumor removed Friday. With this news I really couldn't just watch him get worse and do nothing. I hope it is the right decision!!!
We'll be thinking of you and Boo, keep us updated!
Thanks Sam, I have a question.  I asked both vets about the recovery and infection risks.  Both vets felt that Boo would do fine with the surgery and we could take him home the same day.  I asked repeatedly if his age was against him and both vet thought he would be fine.  I know with all surgery there is risk, but todays vet said we would probably have a hard time keeping him quiet for 10 days.  We both watched the ultra sound and he explained what we saw.  The vet said that what we saw was the best we could have hoped for.  Am I missing something??? I just don't think I could watch him get worse with this news.  I makes me feel better to have 2 vets agree.  What are your thoughts??

Hi Lynne, sorry I am not a vet, I've only had human splenectomy experience as a pa, however i do think they share the same concern. The biggest complications are hemorrhage, cardiac arrhythmias and pancreatitis.

As far as the surgery goes, once the body is opened, your surgeon will obtain a tissue sample to determine if the mass is malignant or benign.

If everything goes well, there's a 25% chance that the mass is benign, considering there's no complications mentioned above, then it'll be everything your vet said, Boo will recover and live a quality life.

On the other hand, statistic have also shown that 75% of the cases are malignant, in that case, you'll have some tough decisions to make in a short time.

The average survival time post surgery (malignant) are roughly 19-86 days. 1 year survival rate is less than 10%. 

Chemotherapy is an option and it may increase life expectancy up to 141-179 days but you'll need to take into side effects like gastrointestinal upset, bone marrow suppression. (quality of life) 

Remain hopeful and believe in miracles, you and Boo are in my prayers.

this is great news! Here is a good article about a splenectomy. I love this website for everything vet related from medications to diseases.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_splenic_masses.html
Thanks Melissa!  I have already started giving Boo organic beef liver, cook on low, with organic red bell pepper, fresh parsley, red raspberries.  I plan to study up and keep both Boo & Sally on more fresh foods! 
More positive thoughts being sent your way. Good luck on Friday.
Good Luck on Friday! Happy to hear the 'good' news. Our Waldo did great after surgery. I think he felt so much better having the tumor gone that it was like he was a pup again. Will pray for an easy surgery & a quick recovery.
I would feel good that the 2 vets agree also:) Good luck, you're in our thoughts and prayers!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service