UPDATE: What are things you wish you had known about Corgis before you got one?

I am wanting to start a blog about responsible dog ownership.  I talk a lot about responsible dog ownership on Reddit and I find myself writing the same things over and over.  It will be easier and more thorough for me to write a blog that I can reference!  

For one of my posts, I want to write an overview on owning Corgis for those thinking about adopting.  Our midget pals are growing more popular with the Royal Wedding and all that, and as you know, Corgis really aren't for everyone.  If I can prepare future owners for the task they face, I can go to sleep a happy owner.

So, what are things you wish you knew about Corgis before bringing one home?  Anything.  Temperament issues, health issues... whatever! 

UPDATE: Since this thread was resurrected, thought I would put a link to the finished product: Own Responsibly: The Comprehensive Corgi Guide- A Resource for New ...

Views: 4627

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When we got Milly, I was told she would be a low to moderate shedder. HA! In what world is corgi shedding considered moderate. After her brushing is done, we have enough to make pillows, lol. It looks like we have another corgi in the backyard:)

No matter how much research you do before hand, no matter how prepared you think you are, something will happen within the first week that will throw you off guard. Make sure you know who your primary vet is going to be BEFORE you bring the dog home, and have two emergency 24/7 vets just in case. We have our preferred vet, a 24/7 clinic that's near our preferred vet, and the absolute closest 24/7 vet all in the phone book for varying degrees of emergencies. Also: Schedule their first vet visit the moment you have them home. It stinks when their first vet visit is because of an emergency, everyone is tense, the Corgi doesn't feel so good, etc. Plus, if you get them to the vet early on, it makes it a lot easier for the vet to help you if/when an emergency arises. A vet that has met your dog might be able to provide some assistance over the phone. A vet who hasn't won't.

It would be good to include info on toxic people foods, and on toxic plants. There are some really surprising things on the toxicity list (I did not realize Onions and Garlic were potentially bad!). Also, it pays to go around your yard/neighborhood and identify any bad plants. Three days after we brought Marcus home he got into a plant (I'm assuming a stinging nettle) and started scratching his poor muzzle to death.

Blog your dog! Take tons of pictures!

EDIT: One more thing - many people only look at PetFinder or they only look at a Breeder who has Puppies. Retired show dogs, and dogs that were meant for showing but don't meet Conformation standards are frequently available from breeders. They're generally well cared for, obedient, and already most of the way trained! Don't ignore a breeder just because you "don't want a puppy"

Our breeder gave us this link as well, which is very helpful: http://homepages.udayton.edu/~jmerenski1/doberdawn/dremel/dremel.html

I would add that you need to be careful what you "accidentally" teach them - and your awareness of this needs to start from day one.

When Bear was a puppy and someone would knock, I'd say "who is it?"  And we'd get up and go to the door - little did I know I was training him to bark at every noise outside.

When the cell phone rings in the other room and I jump up to get it - it must look like excitement - therefore over the past two years I have accidentally taught two dogs to jump and run when the cell rings.

I do everything in order - Bear hates the blowdryer - he used to just bark at the blowdryer, then he figured out that I put my mascara on right before I use the blowdryer, so he started barking during mascara application - then he figured out that right before I put on my mascara, I put on eyeshadow, so as soon as he sees that case, he starts...  had I realized that, I would have changed up my routine in the beginning.

Walking and socializing shouldn't be done at the same time. Without realizing it I created more of a problem, by stopping to say hello to every person/dog and now Lance thinks walk time equals play time.  Every time he sees a dog out on a walk he gets over excited, try reversing that, not fun!!!  If I only knew then what I know now!!!
The shedding.....oh man the shedding.  But so worth it!!!  ^,,^
What sloppy drinkers they are.  :)   Constantly wiping up water off the floor.
oh yes.   And let's not forget the 'GAAACCK-AAACCKKK' cough afterwards that goes all over the floor or the cat or whatever happens to get in the way.  :)  
We have had Winnie for 3 months now, and there is not much I can say I wish I had known. I kinda had been waiting 5 years for a Corgi (even though this is my girlfriend's) and I have spent a lot of time doing research, a lot of tips were actually from you on Reddit lol.

The one thing that I hadn't thought of, and it took me completely by surprise, was her puppy teeth falling out. I haven't had a puppy since 2003 and I had forgotten about that ordeal. A lot of blogs and books I have read just kinda leave that out, I know it really isn't too important but man does her breath STINK right now, even with Greenies. I think all she lacks is her Canines to fall out and grow in and it will be over though! (One of her canines is chipped, pretty much half its original size but it doesn't hurt her and the Vet said it should be fine, too much Nom Noming on toys, I guess!)

So I would add that little something in there, maybe just a snippet about how at 5 months your puppy's breath might smell like a horse stall for a bit, and to make sure they have good rubber or dental bones to help with the process, I took the advice to wet some rags and freeze them in random shapes, she loves chewing on them!
Wow~ Matt i was wondering what the awful breath was all about!!  i kept thinking , maybe it was the teething issue. but wasnt positive... Frankie is almost 6 months now , i didnt realize this because Carlys breath was not this bad...I brush his teeth and everything and its still rank!

I had never heard of the bad breath before! Thanks for including this!

I read a bunch before we got our little guy, so there was not many surprises. But I was not prepared for how vocal they are. Not only talk about everything, but their loud sharp yap can be absolutely ear splitting. However, all the different phrases can be quite amusing.
yep the barking , is so annoying and quite nerving at times!! and yes He makes all sorts of different pitches!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service