So I just watched the "Purebreed Dogs Exposed" video that Sam posted awhile back and it got me to thinking:  What have our wonderful little corgis looked like?  I seem to remember a member here posting something about corgi's having slightly longer legs only about 50 years ago...

Did anyone have links or pictures they might want to share?  That and anything that might open up  discussion about what kinds of problems are being accidentally bread into the breed are also welcome - but please, this is just out of my own curiosity, I don't want to see any fights.  :)

Views: 2742

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with Nancy Geddes that "The Complete Pembroke Welsh Corgi" by Mary Gay Sargent and Deborah Harper is a gem for any Corgi owner interested in the history of the breed.

I also recommend the "New Illustrated Study of the Pembroke Welsh Corgi Standard." It was published in 2000 by the PWCCA and the photos are in color! Its authors are long-time breeders/judges of the highest quality: Anne Bowes, Deborah Harper, Judy Hart and Tim Mathiesen.
Linus is a fluffy from Anne Bowes. A Heronsway dog is like having a sparkling jewel. His temperment represents her 40 year bitch line and the adjudged best little boy (Llandian Storm Catcher in his case). Linus is heartbreakingly beautiful and most guess that he is female! At flyball class, Linus is called the Fabio of Fluffies....
I see here name come up (Anne's, I mean) in a lot of the literature. It sounds like Linus is a superb dog. Fabio. That's a riot!
Anne lives relatively close to me and I've had the great pleasure of having a few Heronsway puppies in the various classes I've attended with my Cardis. One of the obedience instructors I use breeds Pems, and bred to Benny last year. They are indeed wonderful, and I am totally addicted to the fluffies Anne produces.
The cover photographs are of 4 PWCs that were Best of Breed at PWCCA’s National Specialty. The 2 Corgis on the upper and lower left are females; the 2 dogs on the upper and lower right are males.

This softbound publication is a valuable addition to any Corgi lover’s library and a must for any Corgi breeder. I believe it is available through Amazon and also through the Pembroke Welsh Corgi Club of America, Inc. Website: http://www.pembrokecorgi.org.

I had posted links to the pics I had found back when we were having the discussion on culling. I hate to bring that discussion up because it turned into a fiasco, but this link will take you to where I posted the links for you to view old Corgi pictures:
http://www.mycorgi.com/forum/topics/culling-1?id=1150197%3ATopic%3A...
I've been in love with corgis for over a decade before I let myself adopt one. Being completely smitten with the breed I've done many years of research on the breed (not to mention nutritional and chiropractic studies); I've noticed a major trend in the whole leg shrinkage situation. It's alarming how the last several years of Best of Breed winners' legs are just getting shorter and shorter. Yes, I'm sure they can still herd but they're by far not as efficient as those that resemble the corgis of 50years ago. I've also read several studies regarding the "new" corgis and how hip dysplasia and spinal problems are growing because of this issue. I plan on educating myself lots more before I take the plunge into breeding later on; i'm just really glad that there are people here that notice the change too. I have one corgi right now and am planning on adopting another in a few months time... let me just say I picked my little boy for a reason, and I'm just getting tired of people complementing him on his long legs and treating it as though it's an oddity.

Could you point me in the direction of those studies? That would be an important piece of information and I would gladly pass them along to other breeders.

WAAA Alien Corgs!! Run run run!!!
HAHAHAHA! that needs to be printed and hung somewhere.

Love it.
John: That's oxygen deprivation!!!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service