Views: 23671

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We feed Napolean Science diet. Advance fitness. Supplement with fruits (loves apples) and raw vegetables( he loves carrots, kale , asparagus , as long as its crunchy he loves it). When he was a puppy, we fed him Iam's puppy kibble with plain yogurt. He will get an occasional bone and chicken strips (happy hips)treats.
Thanks for the info link, I will be reading labels alitle more carefully. We try to give him raw vegetables and fruit and not rely solely on the kibble. The suggestions in this discussion thread is very helpful! When we train Napolean we use a chicken strip, rarely more than one at a time . In fact we have had this bag for awhile, might get rid of it on light of the info. That is being shared about stuff from china.

Right now we are feeding Zelda Canyon Creek. She seems to really like it, plus it has actual carrots and peas in it that you can see.

Be very careful with all of the dehydrated meat treats. Many are made in China. I think Canyon Creek is one of them. They are linked to dog deaths. Do an internet search.

Cathie, thanks for sending that link. I've never fed Tipper any commercial treats and that link makes me feel better a lot better about my decision. She gets Dentastix as a treat two times a day and loves them. I once bought her some type of chew strip treat but tossed the entire bag without opening it when I read that they were imported. I've tried to tempt her with carrot sticks but she turns up her nose at them. Now and then, I break out a hard boiled egg for a treat...or a handful of cut green beans or a teaspoon of yogurt. Tipper got stuck with a health nut mommy and I'm not sure she's thrilled about it! The information on this forum is wonderful...I've learned so much from hearing about what other people are feeding and their experiences because they are authentic and real.
By the way, if you are on a budget, Mr. Chewy's is a great resource for dog food. Because of their lower prices on quality brands, I've been able to upgrade Tipper's diet without feeling too much pain in the pocketbook.

Rachelle, thanks for the tip on Mr Chewy's. I'm checking it out now.

You might want to try buying  baby carrots and microwaving them for just a few minutes. Makes the sugars more evident and the carrots a bit softer.

Rachelle, please be careful with those Dentastix.  My corgi Mini got one lodged in her back throat sideways and I had to stick my two fingers down her throat to retrieve it!  It took a few attempts to reach it, it scared the heck out of me watching my dog choking and trying to save her.  It was the ones for medium size dogs or 3-4 inches long.  Sorry, just wanted to warn you about my bad experience with them, I don't trust Greenies either.

Mr. Chewy's runs a lot of specials. Today, they are offering 15% off to first time buyers and they only charge sales tax on delivery to two states (I forgot which ones). When I signed up for automatic delivery on my first order I got an instant discount that saved me $7.00 and the order was shipped free because it was over $49.00

I purchased dog food from PetFlow.com for years and recently switched to Chewy.com because everything is slightly less.  The only place I could find locally that sold what I used to feed my dogs was a pet store an hour away from me and I always had to call to be sure they had some in stock.  It was California Natural Lamb Meal and Rice but I figured out it was 47% carbohydrates and switched to a grain free food.   I do live in a rural area so I'm sure most people are able to find better quality foods locally, but for me it was just a huge hassle.  Not having to worry about finding time to go buy dog food is nice for me. 

We actually have a few farm stores that carry good food such as TOTW at a reasonable price:) Also our vet carries TOTW and Canidea and it's much cheaper than pet stores:) Otherwise out closest Pet Store is over an hour away.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service