Yoda is here!! It was rough seeing how upset his mom was about giving him up, but he seems pretty content. He has a little shaky leg problem (he's had it since he was young) but other than that he is just OVERWEIGHT!!! We're going to cut back his food a little and take him on daily walks. (not too long though, he's a little slow and he drags his toenails...)

He has only snapped/growled at Mason a bit...totally warranted, because Mason was in his face. I introduced them on neutral ground and brought them in, shut Mason in a room to eat (he hasn't...he found a rawhide instead) and fed Yoda in the living room. Yoda is a little food aggressive...he gets snippy if you get near him while he eats. Is there a way to fix this?

I'm hoping he and Mason get along well, and that I don't have to rehome him! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we can slowly get them to love one another...a crotchety old lovable man and a sometimes annoying lovable baby haha.

I love Yoda, but I guess I'm a little paranoid...has anyone worried about their first corgi feeling neglected when they got a second? I love Mason with all of my heart, and I don't want him to ever feel neglected.

Views: 11

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1st rule....it will take a month or longer for him to adjust. Don't let him get by with anything but do realize this.

Mason will get used to it and be fine I have 8 and they have all had to adjust but giving them time alone and together will help. Mason may get a bit jealous at times (don't we all?) but he can't comprehend feeling neglected nor will he. You will need to be the leader for both and be able to correct the one who needs correction.

As for one who has rehomed one of my own...it's horrible BUT it gets easier when you see how well they are doing. Giving them some updates if they want them will help.

Good luck and it will work out great....thanks for helping Yoda! My rescues give back soooooo much joy and happiness!

Welcome home Yoda!

Welcome home, Yoda!

My mother had once taken in a dog (temporarily while finding it a new home, as it had been abandoned) that was food aggressive.  The way we dealt with it was this:  when feeding the dog, we held onto the bowl and controlled the feeding.  If she growled, we lifted the bowl so that she couldn't get the food.  When she calmed, we lowered it and allowed her to begin again.  We also would hand feed her frequently (with the bowl raised at first, then eventually while she was eating).  It's a slow process and won't work overnight, but the dog eventually stopped her food aggression with us. 

Don't worry about Mason feeling neglected.  :)  He may feel a little jealous at times, kind of like how a child feels when a new baby is born.  There's a shift of focus for awhile but everyone eventually adjusts.  Be sure to give them time together, but also give each one their own personal time, too! 

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service