Yesterday late afternoon Griffyn got stung by a bee. He's okay! But... I thought it might be a good idea to post a link to a website that tells what to do if your dog gets stung once, or multiple times.

And I also want to point out an interesting thing about the bee that stung Griffyn. It was dead!!! Apparently a bee's stinger can still "do it's thing" even after the bee is dead.

Poor little guy.... he was curious, of course, and as soon as his nose got up against the bee, and before Dawn and my sister knew what was happening ZAP! He didn't cry out... but he ran out into the yard kind of shaking his head and licking his nose. And sure enough the stinger was right there in his lip right by his nose. Dawn immediately checked the internet, and we learned what to do. Fortunately, he didn't have any kind of reaction other than a slight bit of swelling that came up after we removed the stinger but went down very quickly after that too. We were lucky that he didn't have an allergic reaction but just to be on the safe side, we're definitely going to be getting some benedryl to keep in the house.

There were a couple different sites that gave different suggestions. One of them said to put vineger on the sting and another suggested ice. And actually those were the two things we did since it didn't appear that he was in distress, just in discomfort. But I think this link gives good advice and a good description on how to remove the stinger. So.... here's the link ~~> http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dogs-701/Wasp-sting.htm

Views: 275

Comment

You need to be a member of MyCorgi.com to add comments!

Join MyCorgi.com

Comment by Geri & Sidney on January 29, 2010 at 5:42pm
Thank you so much for posting this info!
Comment by pat_m on January 29, 2010 at 3:26pm
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt..

When Byron was a pup he got stung and had to take him to the Emergency Vet - His nose was swelling. He was treated and released.

When always have Benadryl on hand- He does seem to get stung once a year.
Comment by Judi, Dawn, Soffie & Griffyn on January 29, 2010 at 2:00pm
Yes John, dogs can suffer anaphylactic shock too. And some of what I've read... there can be lingering effects so we're keeping an eye on Griffyn for the next few days, just in case.
Comment by John Wolff on January 29, 2010 at 1:26pm
Administer up to 1mg. of Benadryl per pound of body weight.
Be sure the Benadryl is the regular type for allergies, not the sinus one [which contains decongestants also]..
Comment by John Wolff on January 29, 2010 at 1:22pm
Honeybee stingers are barbed and stick in the skin; the bee eviscerates itself when it tries to fly away. They can sting once. The stinger left in the skin often contains additional venom that can be squeezed through the stinger if you simply grab the stinger with tweezers, so avoid this. Supposedly, a poultice made of tobacco is effective in reducing sting inflammation.
Wasps (learn to tell them apart) can sting multiple times. They are more aggressive, mostly in late summer when they're hungry -- they're running out of all the grubworms and cutworms they've been eating in your garden (if you like insect pests, remove wasp nests).
Honeybees kill more people in the US than any other wild animal. Anaphylactic shock, one of the true life-threatening first aid emergencies (I believe most commonly in auburn-haired and possibly blonde people). I don't think Benadryl will handle real anaphylactic shock; that's what an epi-pen is for (epinephrine).

QUESTIONS:
1. Does anybody know if dogs are susceptible to anaphylactic shock from bee stings? or is this just a human thing?
2. How do you administer Benadryl to a dog? How much?
3. What about 1% cortisone cream (I usually have some of that at home)?
Comment by DR, Nala & Simon on January 29, 2010 at 10:51am
Glad to hear he's ok!! Thanks for sharing the information.
Comment by Bev Levy on January 29, 2010 at 10:15am
Sparty has been stung many times. Fortunately he is not allergic because his reaction to the first sting was to declare war on any flying insect. If he sees one he instantly goes for it. If there are bees around I have to keep a close eye on him.
Comment by Jane Christensen on January 29, 2010 at 10:08am
Oh yes...Livvy has bitten bees more than once and I wouldn't be without Benadryl! Glad he's ok! Thanks for the link!
Comment by Rebecca Marie O'Bryan on January 29, 2010 at 9:53am
im glad he is ok:) poor little guy, curiosity got he better of him lol and the link is very helpful, thank you
Comment by Edward and Gemima on January 29, 2010 at 9:51am
This happened to Gem and her snout kept swelling and swelling..had to take her in and have her looked at and she was on Prednisone for a few days which immediately helped it. The things they get into to!!

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

 

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2018   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service