(I guess I'm just on a discussion kick today. . .) But anyways, I have a cardi, and I know that some of you have both cardis and pems - do you see a real difference in the way that they play and act?? I've read all the descriptions online and in books, but want to know "hands on, errrr. . .paws on!!" My cardi is still a pup, but hardly scared of anything, never calms down, and loves EVERYONE!! He must be with me constantly, and if I am ignoring him, he causes trouble - i.e. grabbing things off the table and showing me them, then RUNNING!! To me, that sounds more like a pem. . . I got a cardi because they were more "laid back." HA!

Views: 56

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Pandora (Pem) is more open. She is alert, laid back, and cautious about what she reacts to. She is slow to bark.

Trunks (Cardi) is very reserved. He is ready to alert us to any danger he perceives, which is every thing from the mailman to a paper falling off the table. He is very barky.

As for playing, Pandora is a chase me chase me kind of dog, but will get rough when pushed. Trunks is straight to the knock you over and bite you kind of dog. It is very funny to watch them play. Pandora is the alpha and she will put him in his place.

The funny thing is that they all have their own personalities. I know there is the descriptions of the breed, but they aren't accurate. When we got Trunks from the breeder, he was the quiet one. Guess that changed when he didn't have six siblings barking over him.

I do believe that overall the cardi is the quieter of the two breeds.
i dunno....gizmo is my first, but she's all pembroke - gutsy, talky, playful. her personality is a great deal like what you describe your cardi's to be; maybe that's his puppy personality?????
Its late, and I really want to respond more in depth tomorrow.
but quickly...
Cardigan - reserved, serious, emotional. Eager to please, protector
Pembroke - funny, goofy, happy lapdog. More excitable, a little defiant.
My Cardi (also still a puppy) thinks he's a lap dog. he's goofy, happy, goes from full of energy to wiped out and ready for a nap in the blink of an eye, very food motivated, great guard dog, loves people and animals, is either very willing to please or very rebellious depending on his mood, loves to be near us when we're at home, he's been quick to learn everything except the rules of pottying. :)

The biggest difference with the Pems I've known is that they don't get along with other dogs very well. This isn't to say they are all that way but it seems pretty common even with people to socialized them well us puppies. I think this is odd considering everything you read online says that Cardi's are the less social of the two.
I have only had only pembrokes but I would like to get a Cardigan. For some reason my husband thinks 2 corgis and a doberman(grand dog) in one house is enough! However, I have to say all three of the pwc's I have had are friendly to other dogs. One was very mild mannered and laid back, one is very active and strong willed, and one is in-between. I think there is just a lot of different personalities with either breed. Don't forget they weren't always considered to be different breeds.
Of course, all dogs have their own personalities and I wouldn't say that ALL Pems are antisocial. :) Just so happens that the ones I have known personally as well as a couple we've encountered on outings have not been friendly with other dogs. I have met a couple that were friendly and a couple more thar were very dominent, they are all different.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service