Holy moly, Olive chews through dang near every toy we buy her!  Doesn't seem to matter how much it costs, what it's made of, which end of the grey-scale it's on, or what shape it's in... Olive will chew it up no doubt.  Can't buy her stuffed toys anymore.  Can't let her have a rope for too long.  Squeakers?  More like deaders.  Rubber, schmubber.  It seems like we buy and throw away at about 1:1/week.  I bought her one of those black kong super chewer toys, so we'll see how that goes... any help on what to get her that might actually last would be greatly appreciated!

...she's 10ths old, maybe 20lbs

Views: 307

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

the best toy that I've found is from a company called West Paw. All of their toys are made from recycled materials and they actually guarantee their toys, saying that if your dog somehow manages to chew through one of their toys, you can return it and get a replacement, or if you have the reciept, a refund. i work at a doggie daycare and we have a ton of dedicated chewers here, most of them labs and shepherds. the West Paw toys are the only ones that seem to last. you could also try a "Jolly Ball". This company actually make toys for horses, but they have a couple heavy duty hard rubber, and hard plastic toys for dogs as well. they don't seem to last as long here at daycare, but they do alright. (fyi: i bought one of the West Paw frisbees for my husky mix three years ago, and though she has managed to remove the center part of the frisbee, it still flies and it is still one of her favorite toys. i bought her a new W.P. frisbee about a year ago and it's still completely intact, and believe me when i say, this girl LOVES her frisbees- aka hard plastic ones last about two seconds after she catches them...so there ya go.)
I have the same problem, though the Kong has lasted. Poopdeck gets a hold of the stuffed toys and immediately starts to tear it apart. He loves pens, business cards, and empty water bottles. For fun I gave him a 2 liter bottle, but he managed to make short work of that too.
He also has a Nyla bone for extreme chewers and he likes cow hooves and something I bought from the grocery store called Butcher bones. (looks like round roast bones)
My Olive is more of a defuzzer than she is a destroyer. She will stand on her fuzzy toys and pick the fur off spitting it out or eating it but I love the Everlasting Ball! The treat part doesn't last forever but it's refillable and you can also but your own treats in it. It's kind of a hard gummy bearish rubber and I think it's really good for their teeth and gums. Olive gets hers every morning while I read the news (on Mycorgi of course) and it keeps her busy and non-whiny.
Orion and my brother's australian shepherd LOVE to defuzz!! They'll do it for hours! Also, I don't have the everlasting ball but my brother does so the corgis obsess over it when they're visiting his house, it keeps them very busy, I should probably get one...
My last Labrador, Shadow, used to peel the fuzz off her tennis balls. Have you found bald tennis balls around your house?
Penny loves to chew the fuzz off her tennis balls...once the fuzz is gone then she destroys the ball. I haven't found one toy that she hasn't destroyed in minutes!
Warning- Be carefull with the Nylabones if you have a heavy chewer. Sparty broke some teeth and wore the enamel off his back teeth cranking hard on the Nylabones. We allow cow bones because he really can not get as much traction with them as he did with the Nylabones. Raw hides are OK as long as you are there to supervise because they can be a choking hazard. Sparty loves to gut stuffed toys and never eats the stuffing so that is an occasional treat if they are cheap enough. They last about 2 seconds! Kong makes a series of toys that squeak called Air Kong that really last and satisfy some of the stuffed toy desire. Eventually our Doberman can pop them but it takes a while. Izzy seems content to cuddle and drag around the skin. Rope toys if they eat them are VERY dangerous. Surgery to remove the rope is very expensive. When Sparty was younger I would give him empty cereal boxes to tear up and he loved them. It is a little messy but not terrible harmful and very cheap. Smearing a little cheese in a Kong helps train them to chew more safely.
My pups haven't been able to destroy GoDog's chew guard toys (the triceratops Tabaxterful mentioned is one of them.) One of them, though, the squeaker broke within the first few days I had it (it was defective) and I emailed GoDog about it. If its one of their "chew guard" toys, they send you a replacement toy if you send them a picture of the damaged one so they sent me a brand new toy! I later actually opened up the broken toy and put a replacement squeaker in it too. But they haven't been able to wreck the "chew guard" toys...... yet
Katies fav toy is actually a cat toy. Its the round plastic round tube with a ball in the middle that goes around and around. I guess it sparks her herding and she barks and barks at it picks it up, and runs around it. It gives her lots of excercise, and she can play for hours with it. the 1st one lasted almost 2 years, and then she finally cracked it enough for the ball the fall out.
I just found another one but the ball didnt rattle. so I had to replace it with one that did. and she is back to playing for hours. so if you try one, make sure the ball inside has a rattle.
Katie has gone thru the chew toys also, this one is the only one that lasts and she has played with for years and loves it just the same as day one.
I had one of these with a ball that would light up when it moved. Laika LOVED it! Then one day the ball was missing.... I still haven't found it. I'm sure she got it out and decided it needed to be hidden immediately
My mom sent my cat one of these toys and she never played with it. So when we got the pup I didn't mind when he took over, at least someone was finding it amusing. I probably lasted a couple of months before he go the ball out and chewed up the rest of the toy. But he had fun!
Well they're not really toys, but as far as chewies, have you ever tried antlers or the Himalayan yak cheese? My guys go crazy for both and they last quite a while (the antlers especially).

The antlers at my local store are really tiny (and expensive!) so I always buy large half antlers from this seller:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/AntlerPantry

The yak cheese is available at bestbullysticks.com and amazon I believe.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service