I need some advice from experienced corgi owners please. I absolutely love my little guy but the past 2 weeks have been horrible with him! He is not listening at all to me and my boyfriend anymore. He is biting like crazy, more than he ever has. We can barely walk without him biting our ankles. He is destroying EVERYTHING, carpet, clothes, wood, anything he finds on the floor or he can reach. And his potty training has totally reversed. He pees all the time inside again. When he was three months, he was not acting like this or atleast not as bad. I felt like he was making so much progress and this one day he just completely reversed.   He is almost 4 months so I know it has mostly to do with his age but I just don't know what to do!  by the way we have had him since he was 8 weeks. So we have had him almost 2 months now. We are correcting him over and over and over on  everything. We have tried so many things with the biting (saying ow, ignoring, time outs, and even a spay bottle) and nothing is working. Now every time I try to work at his training with him all he wants to do it bite my hands, arms, legs, and jump on me. He is not focused all. He is starting to drive me insane and I just feel like I am failing him. Any advice? Does is get better?

Views: 181

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like a typical ADD corgi puppy!  When we brought Ginger home at 10 and a half weeks she was very bitey.  We couldn't wear socks or long pants because she would go straight for them.  After about a month and a half she out great that but the then ankle bitting/nipping started.  It took another month and a half or so to get her over that.  She's now 10 and a half months old and will still bite us (never hard) when we try to pet her at certain points, but usually only when she's really hyper and wants to play.  That doesn't make it any less annoying though.  She also still had frequent accidents in the house until we got her fixed at a little over 5 months old.  She'd do really good for a week or so and then right back to peeing in the house.  We haven't had any accidents since we got her fixed, and the biting has subsided a lot!  When I get on the floor with her she still get super excited and nothing I do can get her to focus.  I just say she has ADD :)  Hang in there, things will get better, I promise!  We found the key to be consitancy.  We would do things over and over with Ginger and get so frustrated because it felt like she just wasn't getting it.  Then all of the sudden, completely out of the blue she'd either do what we wanted her to do or stop doing what we wanted her to stop doing and it made for an awesome day!  Remember, at this stage they are like toddlers and don't have very long attention spans. 
Thanks so much! At least I feel now that its not just my corgi puppy haha. I will just have to hang in there and have faith in him that things with get better. I will definitely keep being consistent with him. Thanks again. By the way Ginger is very cute :)
Thanks! :)  You're little guy is super cute too!  I was just telling my husband today that I want my next Corgi to be a black-headed tri.
How many walks is he getting? Sounds like pent up energy to me. Also part of his development is to test the boundries so that is coming into play. He sounds high energy so I would make sure he gets plenty of walks ( not too long at his age). As for the biting, it is a common problem with herding breeds. Very consistent responses will eventually change that but you must be consistent. I found very dramatic, high pitched screeches when I felt teeth helped. If the biting continued a time out in a puppy proof room for a few minutes usually will calm them down( not the crate). Have you ever witnessed a child having a tantrum? the aggressive biting at this age reminds me of that. Removing the audience helps. Be sure not to be harsh in your training because it usually makes them more aggressive. Also make sure play is not too rough. Chasing a toy you threw=fine wrestling=not fine. As for biting the pant legs I always stop and use a firm No or screech and if it continues a time out. Puppies can be challenging so an obedience class will really help you.
He gets 2 walks a day except for Wednesdays he only gets one. . One in the morning and one in the late afternoon. We take him on trials by our house. Each walk is usually 20 to 30 minutes long. And then when we get home he will sleep for 1-2 hours. But yes I think he has ALOT of energy built up. I do want to get him in obedience class. Did you see a big difference after the classes in your puppies?
Yes classes help a lot especially if you have one of the fun, smart, energetic corgis like my Sparty. He was a terror and classes helped me see how I was contributing to the problems. On the other hand some are like my Izzy who never caused any problems, never nipped and always listened when we said something. On the other hand it does take her longer to learn a trick whereas Sparty will learn immediately. They are both great in their own way but Sparty was a more difficult puppy. Hang in there it will get better!
I agree with Bev Levy. We trained our Merlin to use the treadmill while at home every day for 30 min twice a day. During the weekend, that's when we take him out for LONG walks (about 1 1/2 hours each time) around the neighborhood and to the park. Dog parks are great! Merlin is 6 months now. At 5 1/2 months, we had him neutered. That helps with aggression also.
I agree with Bev, it sounds like he needs a bit more exercise. Is he enrolled in a puppy class? If not I would highly recommend it.
You need to take him to puppy classes.....like yesterday! He needs to learn boundaries and to respect you as the boss. Training classes will teach you and your boyfriend how to teach him right from wrong. Sounds like everyone would benefit. Do it now before he is unmanageable.

I agree with Melissa and Franklin!!

Sounds like he needs:

1) More exercise and

2) Less freedom.

He shouldn't be chewing up stuff he finds on the floor because he shouldn't be loose in areas that aren't puppy-proof.  :-)   Just to give you an idea, Jack was not out of the kitchen very often until he was around 6 or 7 months old.  He had a puppy play-pen set up in the breakfast nook for when we were busy (cooking meals, paying bills).  And we had the kitchen baby-gated for when we could sorta-kinda pay attention to him (keeping an eye on him but not interacting with him).

Now, what that meant is we gave up almost everything for that first six months or so.  We paid bills, cleaned the house, cut the grass, and played with the puppy!  I couldn't even watch a half-hour sitcom.  A puppy will be moving the entire time he is awake, so as he gets older and naps less his behavior will seem to worsen.  

I agree you might want to enroll him in an upbeat puppy training class.  Go and watch one and make sure that everything is kept very short and very happy with lots of time for puppies to relax and no puppy "play-times" that look like uncontrolled chaos, with bossy puppies terrorizing submissive puppies.  

Personally I think the single biggest mistake people make with puppies is giving them too much freedom too soon.  Too much freedom, and not enough play.  We used to give Jack cardboard boxes to shred (the plain brown ones).  That would keep him busy for a good half hour or so.  Tug games also help IF you also teach "leave it" and pup learns no teeth on the people, and drop the toy when the people say so.  I agree with Bev about giving a short "time out" if the biting escalates.  I used baby gates and would sit down with Jack in the kitchen.  If he would bite me, I would say "ah-ah" and if he did not stop, I would get up and step over the baby gate (while prying him off my pant leg) and go out of sight and ignore him for a minute, maybe two.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  Eventually he got the message, though it took awhile (think weeks, not days).

If it makes you feel better, one day when Jack was about four months old, I went into the living room to see my husband sitting on the sofa, looking sad.  I said "Honey, what's wrong?" and he said "He's AWFUL.  We give him a good home.  You'd think he'd be more grateful."

I laughed and laughed.   When I stopped laughing, I said "He's not awful.  He's a puppy."  

The puppy stage is not fun for a lot of people.  Personally I enjoy it, but it's a tremendous amount of work.  You usually end up with at least two pairs of favorite pants and several pairs of shoes ruined, and usually some woodwork or furniture.  You lose sleep and friends don't understand when you mumble "We'd love to go, but the puppy....." because they don't get that if you don't spend time with the puppy after work, he will proceed to terrorize your entire family for the next three days.  

This too shall pass.

I agree with Beth!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service