So I have been on the search for a 2nd dog for some time now. I thought I found that perfect 2nd dog in Truck, but his personality just didn't match my lifestyle. While searching for him I sent out e-mails to several breeders in my area describing what I was looking for and asking if they had (or knew of) anything that fit that description. I received an e-mail last night about a 14 month old female that a breeder local to me has. Here's the catch though, she wants $1000 for the dog (which seems ridiculous to me)! So my question is, when breeders are re-homing adults, what would you expect to pay? When I got Truck I paid $300 (which was fully refunded after the trial period if he didn't work out), I got all his titles, championship awards, OFA certificates, food, current vaccines and microchip, and a large metal crate. I figured this is more than fair seeing how the crate itself is about $80-$100 and that was about the cost of an adoption fee from most rescues in my area and included the same stuff (neuter, vaccines, microchip, 1  dose flea/heartworm meds). If its common for breeders to ask $800-$1000 for an adult, I am going to quit looking at breeders and just put my name on a  list for a puppy and keep an eye out at shelters, so I'd love advice/opinions/experience on how much is "common" to expect to pay for a re-homed adult dog. 

Views: 1005

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

To me that price is high. You can get a cardi puppy from champion, health tested parents for less than that. I guess if the available adult had full health testing already I would consider paying a higher price, but I probably wouldn't expect to pay more than $500-$600 for an adult.

Edit: coedwig has a 3 year old blue merle adult male available, but I'm not sure where he is located.

oooooooh thanks! I'll look into it! This female's sire was a coedwig dog, and I dont think she had much show experience but had some obedience training. It didn't give any information on health testing, etc. but I agree I can get a corgi pup from Nebriowa Kennels for $1000 and I KNOW Tim's dogs are pretty much top top top for pembrokes. If I'm spending that much I'd rather have one of Tim's pups.

oooooooh, I just looked up the male. He is beautiful! Looks like he is maybe in Texas? I am going to contact for more info!

I wouldn't think this is unreasonable.  I would expect to pay more for an adult than for a puppy, since more time and money has been invested into the dog.  Growing older should make the dog more valuable, not less, provided the dog is actually happy and healthy and well-trained.  That's just my opinion though!

That is usually true of performance dogs who are started and winning, but not of pets. A promising field trial dog might bring ten grand, compared to a pup of unknown potential who might be $1200. But those who are retiring or being "downgraded" to pets lose value because you have less time with them and have missed the important socialization periods.
Here's my thought: If she's being placed with full papers because her owner hasn't had time to finish her, or has close relatives and wants to make room for someone else, then the price makes sense. If she were 5 months old and being placed on pet papers because she had a minor non-health related fault, but the owner had already started training, then paying full puppy price also makes sense.

But in a rehoming/retirement situation, that seems high.

Maddie came to us as a fully socialized retired show champion who had one litter. She was free. We had to spay, and it was suggested, but not required, that we make a donation to rescue, which we did. But she was free.

The breeder told us she can't put a price on her adults. They have loved her, worked for her, produced for her and are priceless. She only places adults with puppy people she already knows.
Maddie was 4, by the way.

This breeder just said the dog hasn't developed into the show/breeding prospect she had hoped it would. Seems kind of odd to charge what she paid for a show/breeding puppy for a dog she has determined doesn't have the potential for either of those. She said she wanted to get what she paid as a puppy. I guess each breeder is a bit different in what they do. I will just continue searching with breeders and keep a puppy or rescue in mind as well.

My guess is that she's trying to recoup some of the investment that she put into the little lady.  Personally, every breeder I've ever spoken to has had their adults for less than the cost of a pet puppy.  A couple of breeders had adults for the same price as a pet puppy.  It all depends on where you live and who the breeder is, though.

It really is a shame that it didn't work out with Truck.  I hope that you're able to find another furry friend soon for you and Franklin.

when we adopted Dollar( well she was a gift from his dad) he paid 250 for her and she had many litters before hand, she wasnt a show dog but has some champion bloodlines in her. i honestly expected to pay more with how well they kept her. before she was able to go home with us they cleaned her teeth, gave her shots, spayed her, microchiped her, bathed her, and gave us all her paper work along with a collar/leash and bedding. she even did blood work on her to be sure that she was 100% in good health and that alone was $98. she was well socialized too. there isnt anything this old girl is afraid of:)

i hope that u find a dog to fit you and Franklin's life as i know u have been looking for some time now. i actually now encourage people to adopt an adult dog over a puppy as its easier than having a puppy

yeah I don't really have ANY desire to do the whole puppy thing, and to me getting a puppy would be a last resort! Lol. Thanks for the input, dollar seems like the exact type of dog I am looking for. Who would have thought a happy, well socialized dog would be so hard to find! I'm even starting to consider other breeds since I'm getting so frustrated with this search. Crossing my fingers I will stumble on something that suits my lifestyle! :-) 

lol I in NO WAY expect a Franklin. I know he is quite unique and don't ever expect to replicate him. Essentially all I want is a typical corgi: friendly (towards people and dogs), outgoing, and fun-loving. That's it! Not looking for a perfectly behaved dog, I just want a dog that I can tell has a friendly and outgoing personality. Truck had absolutely no personality at all, in 3 weeks I didn't even see a glimpse of a dog that actually enjoyed doing ANYTHING, he was just so fearful and anxious about every little thing and didn't really even enjoy being petted, everything was SO SUBMISSIVE about him that it was like he was scared to actually have fun, not to mention his dog aggression. My dad met him on day 1 and then didn't see him until I re-homed him 3 1/2 weeks later and he said he was the EXACT same dog 3 weeks in as he was when I took him home on the first day. I would expect in that amount of time he would have come out of his shell at least a teeny bit if his personality was in fact due to the stress of being re-homed, especially being a dog who was frequently sent to different handlers for training. His owners even said I'd see what he was really like in about a week, but I asked for a month trial just to be sure. 

We have 12 rescue dogs in my vet tech program right now and out of all of them I would say 6 (maybe 7) match the personality I am looking for, only problem is none of them are corgis! I'm thinking of taking one of them home instead though and just not having my 2nd dog be a corgi :-( I have until April to decide if I want to take one of them home, so I am giving myself until April to find a corgi. I have found several that match what I want in my area but they are always snagged up before I can get to them (a purebred corgi doesn't even last a day in a shelter or on craigslist around my area). Many rescues also won't adopt to me because I live in an apartment despite the fact my dog gets more exercise than any dog I know that lives in a house.

Adult corgis are hard to find.   Most breeders rehome someone eventually, but they don't necessarily give them up to people they don't know anything about . As I mentioned, our breeder says she only puts adults with people she's had puppies with, so she can see how the dogs turned out and get an idea of what the home is from there.   She had told two different people she had nothing available when she was trying to place Maddie.   They might hold onto a dog for years waiting for what they think is the "right" spot.  I think many of the good breeders find it more distressing to send an adult dog off, with its personality and routine set, and so actually have a different set of standards for adults than for pups.  For pups they are looking for "a good home."  For adults they are looking for "Someone I know who has no dogs or one dog but is familiar with Corgis and does all the types of things that this particular Corgi, whose personality I know so well, likes to do."   I think what worked for us is Maddie loves to swim and we live by a river, for instance.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service