Hello all! My husband and I are very interested in getting a Corgi (probably next summer). But we are concerned with a few things as it would be an indoor pup! We were wondering how they get along with other critters, we have a cat who is quite dominant at the moment and we're not sure how he would adjust with us getting a puppy. He is declawed in the front so I'm not too concerned with fighting, but we'd love if our animals would get along! Also, we were wondering about Corgi's smelling. Like I said, it would live inside and with it's full coat we weren't sure how that would go! Friends of ours have a golden retriever inside and you can definitely tell they have a dog! But other friends have small dogs and you wouldn't even know it (that is, if they wouldn't run up to you when you come through the door!) Please let us know if you've ever had any problems with them being little stinkers or what you do to prevent it if they are! We really appreciate it!

Ryan & Rachel

Views: 3468

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll bet if you bring a new puppy home and let it grow up with your cat they will be best of friends before very long. I have never heard of a cat being "very" aggresive toward a puppy. And, I have never heard of a dog not treating a cat that it grew up around like one of the pack. As far as smell goes, I don't think that dogs have a smell. Well, if they are wet they do. But besides that I don't think they have a smell. I don't want to make anyone angry here but I go into hundreds of homes every year and I can tell as soon as I walk in the door if a cat lives there. But dogs, unless the house is (lets say) not kept up, you won't know if a dog lives there until you see it. Corgis, like almost all dogs do shed and need to be brushed/groomed regualry. Bear likes to be brushed. I think if he knew where it was kept he would bring the furmanator to me two or three times a day. He has allergies and we bath him more than we should. But, he also likes his baths and is a pleasure to bath. All we have to do is tell him to go get in the tub and he goes and jumps in all by him self. However, he will not shake off on command or at any time when we are ready for it.
I chuckled at the "when they are wet they do" statement and checked your profile and you live in Texas.

Around here.... My dogs get bellies and legs wet every morning all summer when they go out to potty as there is dew on the grass. We also frequently either take them wading in the creek, or drag out the little kiddie pool for them in the summer when it's hot. In the spring and fall we get a lot of rain. In the winter of course there is the snow. For some reason, the smell of a dog who's been playing in week-old snow with no fresh coating on top is really a bit unpleasant. I think the old snow starts to hold outside odors from other critters that have been shuffling through.

A beach towel hangs over our banister at all times, specifically for drying dogs, and gets washed regularly with their bedding.

I agree (probably with most people) that there is a distinct "wet dog" smell, and perhaps the fact that mine are wet so often partly explains the difference in perception.

But, having grown up always having dogs, I don't really notice it in my own house unless I go away on vacation for a week or so and then come back home. Also, our house is pretty new and air-tight, and it had that "new house smell" for over a year, so odors definitely linger, especially since there is rarely an open window from October through April.
Yeah, you have a good point. Our dogs don't get wet all that often. Although, it seems that it has been raining here almost constantly for the past six weeks so I probable smell like a wet dog and don't know it.. They almost alway come and go through the kitchen door and that is tile to concreat and concreat to tile. And we always towel them off as they come in. I think they like the extra attention. Plus, I try to keep the back yard cut pretty short and of course we hardley know what snow is and week old snow is what we call the Gulf of Mexico.
LOL
Yeah, Shiro will smell like a wet dog for 2 hours after bath even though I dry him with a towel like crazy. There's just something about their fur...
I guess all our opinions are based on experience. I've known many many people whose homes smelled purely of dog. But, they were not well-cleaned homes, so it could have been all the loose dog hair sitting around on the furniture and not the actual dog... (?!) And I also know someone who has a cat who, any time I bring my dog in their apartment, the cat acts like it has been transformed into a tiger and my dog is the small, defenseless animal it's decided to hunt down. My dog doesn't do anything to provoke the cat, just her presence makes the cat go into attack mode. So, I suppose in the end, it's a gamble.

But I think the odds are good. :)
I guess the main thing is this, with any dog there is the possibility of bad odor. You cannot predict whether or not your dog with have a "doggy" smell, but you can groom appropriately to help prevent it. None of us in this discussion have really complained of our dog’s stench so I doubt it would be an issue for you. The time Finnigan smelled the most was when he was teething and he had awful fishy breath, other than that unless he is due for a bath and has all kinds of dirt and other dogs’ drool coating his fur, he doesn’t have a bad smell.

Your cat will adjust to having a puppy around and will either become great friends with the pup or just avoid it when possible. I've seen it go both ways. Even if they are not pals, it doesn't mean they can't coexist peacefully.

I think you'll do fine. Good luck!
I think Alice summed it up best!

My parents have a lovely Chesapeake Bay Retriever. They have a special coat that gets quite oily starting in the fall, to keep their skin warm and dry in cold-water retreiving (they can hunt geese in the dead of winter) and therefore if they are hunting you are not meant to bathe them with shampoo or warm water from fall til the end of the season in spring.

Man, she can really stink! The oil gets a sort of rancid smell. Labradors have a similar coat, though not to such a degree.

With the cat, the only thing you need to watch is that without claws, he may not be as intimidating to the puppy if puppy decides to chase. However, our cat merely has to hiss and both our Corgis cower. And my family did have a cat at one time who was great friends with my aunt's Jack Russell; it's really up to the cat (as someone mentioned) whether they will be friends or simply tolerate each other. Most dogs that are raised with cats want to be friends with the cat.
my Corgi is an outside dog and even then, I don't notice much of an odor from her. there are definitely some dogs that smell very strongly, but I haven't noticed Corgis being one of those types. Especially if they'll spend most of their time indoors, where they won't get as dirty. regular brushing and a bath every now and then should take care of that.

can't help you with the cat question (I don't have any), but I'm sure there are many people on here who can. Good luck!!!
I can't speak for all corgis but I'll tell you about my little guy.
He loves cats and all other animals. Once he sees one he tries to run towards them and play. The breeder we got him from had 2 cats and all of her dogs were fine with it. So when looking for a puppy ask the breeders if they have cats. Most likely your puppy will be OK with yours either way, but this helps.
Cats don't like him though, hiss and run away.
I have a chinchilla and the puppy always tries to play with it too. Once the chinchilla jumped out of his cage and there was a 30 second mayhem in the kitchen. If Shiro cought the little guy he would probably hurt him accidentally.
I haven't found a way to train him not to jump on every moving thing but all dogs are different and maybe it's just a puppy thing.

Bathing
When he was under 6 months old he got bathed every week. That's because his fuzzy coat was getting dirty from all kinds of activities, especially at a dog park! Now, it is more like an adult coat and any kind of dirt or dust just falls off.
He will start to stink if not washed for over a month, but so is my dad's female boxer. It is not hard to bathe a corgi in your own bathtub. I guess that explains why your friend's golden doesn't smell as great as the small dogs. You really don't have to take those little guys to a groomer to get them clean.

Shedding
Corgis shed A LOT all year round and worse in shedding seasons. I personally didn't find that to be a problem because we brush him once a week (should be twice actually) and he's not allowed on furniture. He also has a crate for car travels, that helps to reduce hair in the car. The carpet does need to be vacuumed more than usual though.
Hope you'll find a perfect match for you! It's good that you started so early!
I was reading about the opinions on smell. My Dad raised Beagles and I used to have a horse so I probably have a high threshold for stink! I bath mine about once a month (except when it is really cold in the winter: Michigan) and found a nice doggy spray with either Lavender or Raspberry scent at the health food store that I spray on them. The scent of course sends my Drama King, Sparty, racing around the house trying to rub it off. Consequently a lot of things in my house smell like raspberries & lavender. Not bad really. Have you ever smelled a wet hound! Whew, now that is bad!
Compared to others dogs I've been, corgis are fairly low on the "smell" scale. They're no Vizsla, but they arent a kick in the face to hug after a week. I bathe my dogs weekly to bi-weekly and they don't even get to smelling bad in between. My mom is more sensitive though so I bathe them when, if I thrust my nose into their ruff and take a big sniff, I smell a hint of doggy smell.
Mine have learned to leave the cat alone. Whether they'll ever be friends may depend on the cat. My cat hates them, but if they leave her alone they are ambivalent.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service