I know there was some discussion awhile back about how many vets seem prejudiced against Corgis, people were theorizing on why, and I thought it would make an interesting topic.

We recently had Jack to the vet for his annual checkup. Now, Jack has been to the vet's office several times recently for weigh-ins, so he's an old pro at the scale. The vet who we saw is an experienced guy who looks like he may be nearing retirement age. The scale was all the way up, and I said "Oh, if you lower it, he'll hop right on."

So, the scale went "Whiirrrr" and Jack pricked his ears and took a step back, and then when it was on the ground I snapped my fingers and said "Jack, up!" and he hopped on the scale, and sat on command. Then the scale wasn't resetting right, so we had to hop off and reset the scale and do it all again. The vet commented "What a well-trained dog!" which pleased me more than 100 strangers in a park saying what a good dog we have. But I said "Ah, wait til he's on the table!"

Well, as I suspected, Jack was cool as a cucumber in the room while we chatted with the vet. Then we put him on the table, and game over. He HATES it. He is not a nipper, so he doesn't try to bite, but he tries to scramble backwards, jump off, get away. He cries. His little heart is pounding. I don't think it's heights, as we have popped him up on picnic tables several times and he's calm. And it's not being handled, as he passed CGC with a stranger looking in his ears and mouth.

I think it's being crowded. Getting the exam done took all our obedience skills. Lots of "Jack, staaayyy, stay" very calmly got him to hold still (tense as could be) long enough to have eyes, ears, teeth, etc checked.

And after all that, the vet smiled and said "He's pretty good for a Corgi. A lot of them I've seen need to be tranquilized to even be examined." I was pretty surprised at that, as this vet is super calm and really good with the animals, but he said they seem to hate being confined. I do know I read that once or twice online as well.

He also said (and this I believe) that many of them are great and loyal, loving family dogs, but not so good with strangers, so it was good that I had socialized mine. Now my Corgi loves everyone he meets, but we got from a breeder who breeds outgoing personalities, and we socialized him within an inch of his life when he was a puppy.

How is your Corgi at the vet? And what does your vet think of Corgis? Mine was nice as could be and he didn't sound hostile when he described what he's seen, just matter-of-fact.

We also visited a breeder on Saturday, and she mentioned that a lot of vets don't really like working on Corgis.

In the meantime, I am going to try to find someone with a grooming table so we can work on Jack being up high while people loom over him, as it's that very specific combination of events which sets him off (I believe he feels trapped, as he does not mind being crowded on the ground).

Views: 1026

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My male, Harley, is totally unaffected at the vet. They can do anything to him. Will scream once in a while when he gets a shot, but I think it's his silly sense of humor just trying to scare the daylights out of them. (ha ha, I've been really good so far, let's make them work for their money!)

Tessa, the youngest, acts just like him as long as they are together, but isn't quite as brave if she is alone (she will sit next to me instead of on the floor).

You could ask your vet if you could just bring Jack in once a week and let him walk into the room, put him on the table, give him a cookie and then leave. Maybe that would help him associate the vet's office with a good thing and not always something being done that makes him nervous. Kind of like de-sensitizing.... ??
Miranda is very well behaved, gives kisses and generally likes the people there, but she knows whats coming and becomes tense and wines. She will not nip or bark, she just sits there and sometimes shakes. I would take her there when ever I had to drop by for something and the receptionist would give her treats. So she first learned this was the cookie place, so she was fine with the vet until she had to get some blood work done. After that day every time she goes to the vet she wines and shakes. She has not had lab work since, she just gets scared.

It is funny, she loves the receptionist and hides behind the counter with her, and she kisses the vet like crazy ... part of me wonders if she is begging him not to use the needle or something. Kind of humanizing it, but still it is interesting to think about. Other than the fear, she is an angle for the vet.
Whenever I take Radar to the vets office we always have a discussion about the other Corgi's that she has treated in he practice. She is proud of the progress that Radar & I have made the past 4 years and she can tell that I have worked with him a lot. She has said other Corgi's that come into the practice either have to be tranquilized before a check-up. A lot of it
has to do with the owners taking time to work with them. Such as playing with there paws, getting use to have there teeth checked and so forth. Don't get me wrong Radar does not appreciate shots...but he doesn't hold a grudge after she gives
him his injections anymore. He would love to get off the table during the exam..but I have him in a loose head lock and talk
to him calmly. Usually before the exam my vet will sit on the floor with him and play with him for a few minutes. This past exam Radar let her inspect his teeth and gums without much fuss. Corgi's require a firm and loving owner!!!!
Our veterinarian, Dr. Bates, has the best liver treats in the world, has extensive Virginia "country" experience and genuinely loves our corgis. I reduce anxiety by keeping our visits to one shot or one examination. I dremel my dogs nails at home so that there is not that stress factor, either. Yea, my dogs don't exactly appreciate the cold, metal topped tables, but as soon as Dr. Bates comes into the room (and he is a big bear of a man himself), Bear, Tasha and Linus know this guy has the greatest schnackies in town!
I had Leo to the vet this morning for nail trimming..he did not make a sound and apparently is good with it all now. Leo is quite stressed out due to waiting for little bro who is at the vet for surgery today. Even still he was good for his nail trimming and weighed in at a perfect 28 pounds (good boy Leo). When I took Randy in last night the vet worker said "stubborn Corgi" when she tried to lead Randy into the back of the office for his stay. I would have to say that in general, people tend to form Ideas about our kids. Maybe it's true but Randy is never on leash except the vets office so maybe is why he does not lead, especially away from his mom.
You make some good points. The Corgi is known for being shy with strangers at first but will warm up. Some are not like this at all. Mine will jump in anyones lap for attention. I also work w/mine on the table and they are fine but at the vets it can be a different story. I've noticed in the past with working with a dog on trimming nails or grooming and they aren't use to it one of the worst things to do is confine containment on them. My husband usually relaxes them by moderate holding and soothing by reinforcement and massaging and that way I can get more done with them instead of pinning them down and getting done what I need to. Sometimes I also think its the smells that are on a vet. Now my vet knows my dogs, has been to my house and is very good with them never rushing and always letting me work w/my own dog to get them ready or to hold them. They allow her to look them over but always tend to lean on me when on that specific table. Is it the slippery surface on the table and grooming tables are more paw friendly? Each dog has their own personality. I think vets get their negative views of the Corgi not fully understanding the breed, rushing and confining the procedure to the dog and lack of owner responsibility at times. I do know of vets that won't let owners hold and restrain the dog in fear of the owners ability and has an asst. do the restraining which adds to more anxiety. I also take my younger dogs along for the ride just to let them get to know the office and have nothing done to them so they think of the office as a pleasant place. Receptionists will take them behind the front desk and goo and gaa over them while I'm in the room or doing something else w/the vet which is good for the dog as well. I don't think many think of things like that but since I breed I'm in their alot with my dogs and they need to be okay with it all. My vet has a good view of Corgis because of mine..I don't think they had a ton of experience with them til mine. Past vets had bad views and commended me on mine but I reminded them that maybe it wasn't the dog. LOL
I switched to the senior vet in the practice I have been taking Dooley to (and had previously run into various anti-corgi sentiments), and was quite pleased. He didn't say anything negative about the breed and we had a great conversation about how vets get to use all the fun anesthetics. Dooley loves the vet and the techs, and greets everyone cheerfully. He struggles when he is held down for shots, but afterwards he lays his ears back submissively and rolls onto his back, also a sign of submission, at the vet's feet. I honestly think corgis can't help but to unleash the drama when they are held down.
Bear is the same way - protective of his space - but I've also wondered if part of the problem is the inability to get good footing on the metal table. He doesn't mind a bath, but doesn't care to be in the bathtub, again because I think he can't get good footing.

Just a theory.
Callie is a little timid while she is on the table at the vet by where I live. As long as I'm close she does fine and even gives the vet kisses. I haven't been there enough to know the vets there nor their thoughts on Corgis.
The vet she see's near my parents place she LOVES, I think it is because the vet there treats it as a play time almost. All I know is that I do like the vet by my parents place, and she loves Corgi's... she loves all animals. All I have to say is Callie is more comfortable around her old vet then her new one... We are going in for her shots this weekend since it has been 1 year since her last ones. We will see how she does.
Tucker went to the vet today to get a shot and get his ears checked out. I was so proud of him! Last time he made such a scene and this time he was visibly shaking but he stayed still and let them check his ears, examine his body and give him a shot. Since he was in such a cooperative mood the vet cut his nails too - and Tuck was a brave boy. I thought of this thread when the vet said 'he is such a good boy- he isn't like most corgis who try to bite my head off when i go near their paws'.

Also said he's in great shape and just one big muscle - that made me feel like I'm doing something right :)
I dont think our vet has seen alot of corgis. They all absolutely love Lance. :) We had the vet cut Lances nails once when he was a pup, and he was very squirmy, but we didnt get any negative comments. He had an appointment today for his bordetella vaccination (which our vet does intranasal) and when I got him out of the car and started walking him to the door, he froze in his tracks, lol. Its like he remembered, hey I got a shot last time. It didnt take too much to coax him to keep walking though.

Last time we were at the vets probably about a month ago he got a shot, which is does really with it. He doensnt make a sound or anything, although he gets nervous and shakes but thats it. Today I put him on the table and he just melted as soon as I set him down, head and body went completely flat on the table, I guess some people would call that flat dog. lol

Lances gets very nervous at the vet but handles it like a champ. Our vet takes the time to talk with us so Lance can have a chance to get comfortable. :)
We just had our new Corgi girl, Madison, to the vet for her first checkup. Wow, it's like night and day!

First of all, Madison is a fairly submissive and gentle female. She is so new to our home that I don't think we've seen her full personality yet, but she is not always on her toes looking for something that's moving the way Jack is. She wilts if you tell her "no" whereas Jack will sometimes talk back.

Second of all, Madison was a show dog so she is used to being on a table and poked and prodded and handled by different people. If her breeder is like most show people, she probably was putting her on a table from the time she was a pup.

In the waiting room, Jack is the Official Greeter at the vets and wants to go greet everyone who comes in, whereas Maddie just sat calmly at our feet.

When we got in the exam room and were waiting for the vet, Maddie wanted to walk around and explore, and she wanted to go see what was going on in the other rooms so she kept trying to wander out in to the hall. When the vet came in we put her on the table, and she stood very nicely for her exam.

Then the vet turned around to get a shot for her, and she actually just laid down and put her chin down on the table in full Corgi recline.

He was even able to clean her teeth. She wasn't crazy about that, but she stayed as calm as could be.

The vet had listened to her heart before he examined her, but hadn't noted her heart rate on her chart so he listened again after the exam and said her heart rate was 80, even after the teeth scraping. So she was hardly nervous at all.

She and Jack are just total opposites. They are both outgoing and friendly, but that's where the similarities end. She's sweet and gentle and a very lady-like. I think Jack would rather be off herding cows.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service