A horrible, preventable, VERY COMMON fatal accident.
When we came home, Siri had been trapped for hours this way. The holes in the bag that saved her life were made by her, not by us.
Several families on mycorgi.com have lost dogs this way.
Eat from bowls or boxes, not bags:
Babyproof your home. Train everybody. It's a new habit, but easy to learn. Cut holes in food bags. Food waste goes in only ONE place, locked-up. We keep scissors hanging on cup hooks by the sink. Watch your visitors, who don't know bags are killers. Even in our vigilant home, I have found intact dog food bags on the basement floor (handy bags, I'd kept them for some reason, or they were in the recycling). Be alert when routines are changed: traveling, holidays, parties, in the car.
After plastic bags were introduced in the 1950s, many human children died this way. Venetian blinds also kill dogs. And children.
Talk about this to other dog owners. You'll never know who you save.
Siri was a "gulper". We lost her to a choking accident. One bad day, we fed her something too big...
Charlee isn't the type to dig into the trash, but accidents happen, and this is very good to know. Thank you!!!!
I am going away next weekend and leaving Sully for the first time with a dog sitter, a neighbor and her 18-year-old granddaughter. The girl is a student at the local agricultural school who has been asked to stay with her teacher's dogs so I am confident, but very worried about this issue since my neighbor wants to take Sully to her apartment some of the time. Her apartment is clean, but full of small items and decorations. I know my house is safe and my trash can is impossible for Sully to open, though I also take the extra measure to cut bags. Since Sully is so quiet and calm it is easy to feel a false sense of security. I will leave written instructions for feeding, safety and such, but this is the one issue that scares me, even with such great caretakers.
I don't have time right now to read through this entire thread. Just wanted to point out that many dog training facilities offer First Aid/CPR classes where families can learn how to perform mouth to snout CPR for their pet canines. My son took the class and is certified now just as one can be certified for human CPR. If you can find a trainer offering the class in your area, it would be well worth one's time and money. Also, the information on the food bags is definitely a good thing for everyone to know about. Opening both ends means less of a chance with our pets and also for any animals that might find the bags in city garbage facilities.
I just got an email from a friend whose Border Collie just died this way. It prompted me to post a warning on Facebook where I have many dog loving friends.
There's a whole website about this!
There is and thanks for pointing to the web address. However, I always have a hard time going to that site. The stories about all of the wonderful pets lost in situations such as this are just heartbreaking.
Zip lock bags too! I always cut them as the smaller ones could be perfect to get a head stuck in!