I posted this in the wrong section so I'm posting this again. I would like to know your opinions on what ill need and what kinds of toys and chews are safe. if you prefer wire or plastic crate and why. This will be my first puppy on my own so any information is appreciated.

Views: 1560

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When we brought  Lance home, our breeder suggested we get the plastic crate since it is more den like, and they like dens. 

When we got Tucker, a friend of mine gave me her wire crate and he immediately loved it!  Lance will go in either or, and Tucker will only go in the wire crate.  It depends on what they get accustomed to, I would think.  We had a freak thing happen with Lance and his plastic crate, he got his mouth caught on the grid of the wire door!!!!!  Not quite sure how he even did it but he got his top and bottom mouth stuck open on the wire crate door.  We have used the same crate for the last eight years, no problem ever!  I think he may have been barking too close to the door and somehow got caught. 

Edit:

I would lean towards getting the wire crate, you can always get a cover to go over it to make it more den like or even use a blanket!

I would definatly crate and always suggest this. Safety 1st and they will get used to it even if they wimper a bit at 1st. We've had Bella drive 9 hours in one through thunder storms and she slept the whole way...almost:) Take old towels for the crate and a couple hand towels to rub over siblings/parents and then put in a plastic bag...save for nighttime and I would even cut them in half...giving you 4-5 days worth.

Pet fence(I have pet lodge) 3' high so you can reach over and I think the length it fairly standard. Maybe it's 12 feet???

so on the 13th I'm going to see the breeder and check her out before a place a deposit. what stuff should I look for and ask? Iv'e already asked a lot of questions but I want to see if iv'e missed anything.

Don't feel bad about asking a lot of questions - it just means you want to be the best corg-mom possible!

I hope this link works (below).  It's an Amazon preview to a book called "Cardigan Welsh Corgi".  Look at page 38 - this is a section on how what to look for in a puppy, from temperament to physical condition.  Definitely try to hang out with the parents.  At least the dam, and the sire if he's on site.

http://www.amazon.com/Cardigan-Welsh-Corgi-Comprehensive-Owners/dp/...

Sorry - I instantly went for Cardigan Corgi attributes because that is the kind of corgi I have.  Most likely, you are getting a Pembroke.  Here is the same thing for the Pembroke Corgi, review starting at Page 32:

http://www.amazon.com/Pembroke-Welsh-Corgi-Comprehensive-Owners/dp/...

I ended up buying these two 

http://www.amazon.com/Pembroke-Welsh-Corgi-Happy-Healthy/dp/0470390...

http://www.amazon.com/Welsh-Corgis-Pembroke-Cardigan-Complete/dp/07...

they had better reviews and are more recent but if they don't provide good info I'll buy the one you suggested as well.

Definitely get what appeals to you.  I have the second book you mentioned, and it is very similar to the Pembroke link I posted in regards to what info they cover.  I also got a few training books (to give more info than the training sections of all-inclusive books) and picked the methods that I thought I could do, and what work best with Lucy.  Good luck to you!  The first couple of weeks can be challenging, but as you and the pup get used to each other, the relationship is so rewarding.

Where are the pups born and raised...in their home????

Meet adults(as many as possible...watch for being too shy as they should be friendly and excited to meet you.

What age do they leave?

Look at contract.

Food they feed.

Shots given b/4 they leave and wormed...how many times.

She won't have any puppies when I go up there but the mother dog will be there. Should I go up when the litter is a few weeks old to check them out? she said they don't go to homes till 12 weeks I believe. They get their shots and a severe hip displaysia guaranty for 2 years and I asked about it and she said 2 years is usually when you find out if they have or are getting it by then. She buys the first bag of food and she wrote a book for her clients about training, house breaking and all that and she said she is there for her clients all the time if they run into a problem. But talk is talk. 

There's a website where you can look up the sire and dam's names and get detailed information on their test results. I found it on the Golden Retriever forum when my son was in the market, and thought I'd bookmarked it, but apparently not. And the GR forum is sooo vast it's impossible to find one tiny little straw like this. Maybe someone else on mycorgi.com knows what this is?

It's a good site, because you can tell what the OFA, eye, and heart tests have been dating back several generations.

One thing my son discovered in purchasing his golden is that caring breeders LIKE it when you exhibit a lot of interest in the litter. They want to feel you're really concerned and interested in the puppies and their progress. So I'd say it sure can't hurt to pay a visit when the puppies are little.

It sounds like this breeder goes above and beyond the call of duty. Most of the breeders I've known (doberman, German shepherd, golden retriever) have certainly not offered that many amenities. Some have behaved as though their foremost interest was seeing that puppy go out the door.

Too bad...but you're right...that almighty dollar!

Ask if she has a return policy...if my pups go to a home and they can't stay...they MUST be returned to me!!!!! I will find them a good new home:)

12 weeks is wonderful and the book is good.

She sounds like a good breeder. Is there a place to review any comments?

Pups won't start showing their personality till around 6 weeks. Ask her when a good time is to visit. Many times a breeder will be able to tell you some things about a pup. I knew Sage(my own pup) and another litter mate would be good Therapy dogs...both of them are:)

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service