For a while now, Shelby has looked underweight. Is 20lb a normal weight for a corgi. She was also the runt of the littler. I feed her twice a day and she usually eats all of it. I am very worried for her because her ribs stick out a LOT. In absolutely no way have I ever mistreated or abused my wonderful little dog. Just last night, he wasacting very strangley and whinning. We could not determine the source of the problem. She curled up and went right back to bed. The whole event lasted less than a minute. She has been vomiting a lot recently. Please help me, I'm very worried and I am scheduling an appointment with our vet.

Update: She has been diagnosed with congenital kidney disease. Does anyone who of a way to make her more comfortable?

Views: 2065

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hope your Shelby is ok. Based on the amount of food you say she gets, she probably should not be as thin as she is. You mention she is also vomiting. Hopefully she just picked up a case of worms, but she does need a very thorough going over if no worms are found.

Best of luck.
Thank you. If she has worms, can our other dogs possibly get them too?
If she has worms, the other dogs have them too. Especially if she has hooks or whips; those are ridiculously hard to get rid of. We had a rescue dog bring in hookworms last year and it was MONTHS before we could get rid of them because the dogs kept passing them around. You'll know more once you see the vet, but it's very unusual for one dog to have worms and the others not share and share alike.

I use the normal adult Orijen. Not the fish one.
Our other dogs seem fine. Do you happen to know if stores will be open tomorrow? If they are, I'll see our vet in the morning as my mom goes to work and pick up a bag of Orijen on the way back home.
Generally if the problem is (or is worsened by) parasites, only the weakest of the group will get sick. The others have the ability to carry a certain load of worms and not be affected too badly by them. When we were dealing with hookworms this last year, only one of the dogs showed symptoms (mainly weight loss) but they all had them and they all had to be treated multiple times. In fact, the one who had brought them in (the rescue puppy) was the heartiest and fattest of them all!

Some stores will be open and many won't be; I have had the best luck finding Orijen at horse feed stores or the high-end pet places. Not at PetCo/PetSmart.
Thank you. I've decided to stop talking to my dad because he keeps calling her "Auschwitz" and says she has cancer.
Oh...tell your dad to be respectful!!!!!! That's mean and you can tell him I said so!!!

I hope that this is something easily solved...keep us updated!!! A vet visit even after you worm and change foods might be wise!!!
P.S. I just trimmed her nails
All right!!! Those nails were looking long!
Haha, she absolutely hates getting her nails trimmed. We use one of those "Peticure" things. It seems to work well, the noise freaks them out though.
I have two corgis, one 2 year old and one puppy. Didi, my 2 year old, is a female. She is 17 lbs. She is about as long and tall as other corgis, but she is lightly made. She has an exagerrated pinch at the waist, she her chest stands out. Lots of people comment to me that she's so -small- and so -skinny-. Her ribs, though not visible like dogs you see on Animal Cops, are definitely there, and you can feel them if you run your hands over her sids. The fact is, confirmed by the vet, she's a small corgi, a naturally thin corgi, and a fit corgi.
Then I have Reagan, my 7 month old. He is, at 7 months, wide as Didi, tall as Didi, and nearly as long as Didi. He's weighing in at 21lbs. He has a bit of a waist, but not nearly like Didi, he has a thick, muscular neck, and heavy shoulders. You can feel his ribs, but there is lots of meat on him too.He too, is completely normal, and fit.
Corgis come in many different shapes and sizes, and the more you see lots of corgis, like on this site, the more you'll notice all the variations. Just like people, some are heavy, some are light, some are lanky (as lanky as a corgi can be, lol), some are stout. A lot of pictures we see as consumate corgis on tv, and in show, and on dog products, are the stout robust corgis. A lot of corgis we see on the street are thick, overweight corgis. Because of those things, we learn to see corgis as big-ol' short dogs but... no corgi is just like another.
As long as your vet says she looks healthy and in the range of normal, I wouldn't worry.
I worried because this morning, she refused to eat. Unfortuneatly, our vet is closed today and I cannot get her checked out.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service