How can I tell if my dog was born tailless or was docked?

My corgi has no tail that I can discern - I don't even feel a nub. How can I figure out whether she was born without a tail or was docked?

Her butt never gets into wagging mode at all - I've had her a little over a year. I wondered if maybe that meant she was born without a tail?

I can certainly ask her veterinarian, if he would know the answer...

[Edited to add: I forgot to mention, she is a rescue, so I can't ask her breeder.]

Views: 17911

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The docking needs to be done between 24-72 hours so that may be why you have seen no tails. Corgi tails are very large at birth for such small dogs. Many countries have banned docking and I won't dock.It does take awhile to get used to the tails but I love them...what I mean with this is things like making sure tail and all are in the car before shutting the door.
This topic has been discussed many times here. Click here to see.
I believe we just met our first Corgi with a natural bobtail, at a local food festival this weekend. I think it was natural because while it was longer, it didn't look like the incorrect docks I've seen on dogs from backyard breeders. Some do a dock that looks like a terrier dock, but this one was a cute little wedge-shape that looked very natural, including a little flag of hair at the end.

It was so cute, and it just wag-wag-wagged. It made me long for a tail for my two (and not for the first time). This little guy just looked so happy, with is endlessly waving tail.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service