I was told, when my wife and I got Leena from the breeder, to expect her to reach 25 lbs, like her mother.  I also know that 25 lbs is considered a pretty healthy weight for a female pembroke.  Leena hasn't reached 7 months and is already 22lbs, which would seem high to me at this point, except for the fact that she hasn't really "filled out" at all.  We're guessing it's a lot of muscle.  That being said, is the whole "ideal weight" thing a bunch of bunk?

Views: 1366

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Depends on bone. A smaller boned dog will weigh less than a bigger boned dog, just like people. Don't worry at this point. She's a pup. You can't starve her into staying at an ideal size. You will hurt her health. The ideal size is what show people hope to have. Unless you got her from a show breeder as a show prospect, she might not be at the "ideal" size when she matures.

I wouldn't ever dream of starving her into any size.  I was just wondering if the whole ideal weight thing was a load of you know what, because she has grown quickly, but it seems they do slow down.  I'm happy if my puppy is happy.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you would!!!!!!! I guess I was thinking of people who are so obsessed with weight that they are putting their 5 year old little girls on diets!!!
I know you weren't implying!  Ever since my vet accused us of that (Leena was just a very tiny girl and didn't grow fast at first) I have been a little defensive about the whole issue.  I cant believe people would actually do the diet thing with pets or young people, especially if health is not at risk.

How big was her father? This could also influence her weight but I wouldn't worry at this age as long as she's not eating too much food. Sage at 18 months weights only 23#'s and I expect she will get to 25#'s at around 2. She is like her mom and matured slowely but still is filling out. So...unless her dad is really large my guess is that she will slow down and be near her ideal weight at 18 months. The bone structure will also influence how much she will weigh. Livvy (Sage's mom) is smaller boned than Bella's pups but they still end up weighing about the same fully grown...Bella's pups are longer and leaner and Livvy is a compact ball of energy with Sage taking  after both her parents.

From the akc standard:  Weight is in proportion to size, not exceeding 30 pounds for dogs and 28 pounds for bitches. In show condition, the preferred medium- sized dog of correct bone and substance will weigh approximately 27 pounds, with bitches approximately 25 pounds.

Of course that doesn't mean every dog ends up that size. Just like people there will always be some who are smaller or larger. It really doesn't matter unless you were intending to show her. The food you're feeding her could also have an impact. A high quality puppy formula can make a dog grow REALLY fast, where as on an all life stages formula the dog will grow slowly for a longer period of time.

Good point Jane...all life stages with lower protein level for a corgi is better since corgis are considered a large breed dog and mature slower/longer. You can also check out several food discussions on MyCorgi.
Seanna's mom was really little, and her dad was large.  She weighs on a good day 25 pounds, but the vet would really like her to be 23.  She's solid though, and very muscular, and has a ton of fur.  If you compare her next to Jackson, who is only 20 pounds, she is way bigger boned, and way more muscular.  But if you compare her next to other corgis, she is little.  So I really don't know what to tell you.  I try to go by the "you should be able to feel their ribs" rule, but it's kinda hard with all of Seanna's fur.  I'd just ask your vet, and try to gauge it from what they say.  You can contact the breeder too and ask what a good rule of thumb would be.
My breeder said Franklin shouldn't get above 24-25 pounds. His dad was a very petite 23 and mom was 25. He is now 30 pounds and trim and fit. So it really just depends on the dog. Just make sure you can see the indent of her waist from above and the side and that you can feel her ribs when you gently rub your hand down her side. Also a vet is a great person to ask about weight or if you could send a picture or go see your breeder and have them evaluate her.
She's extremely happy.  As long as she has a few toys and her mommy and daddy, she seems content.
Like everyone else has said really, ideal weight depends on your dog. I am lucky enough to get to go to my Corgi's family reunions. These are eye openers in terms of size. I have been accused by another Corgi owner (not on MyCorgi.com) of having an overweight dog, as Potus was quite bigger than his Corgi. A week later we were at the vet who said Potus was a fine weight for his body type and two weeks later we were at Potus' family reunion where he was quite the same size as most of his siblings and half siblings (Potus sits between 13kg and 15kg, which is around 31lbs I think) Some were bigger (especially in the elder litter) and one was unusually thin- however this suited her body type- she had a slim rib cage in contrast to her siblings rounder barrell chests,. It really drove home how the ideal weight depends on the dog, this can change by breed and even by individual dogs within the same litter.
You must've been furious to have that person call Potus overweight.  I just remember wanting to punch my vet when he acted like Leena was too thin or we weren't feeding her enough (at about 12 weeks).  Now, being fed about the same, she grows like a weed.  I think I need to change vets!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service