Jack and the Easter Cake: Let's hear funny food stories!

Let's hear your funny "Corgi and food" stories!

Neither of my dogs actively beg, though both will sit hopefully nearby when we eat.  They will crowd my husband because he sometimes gives them bits of apple or popcorn.  

However, there are some things they know they get and then it's another story.  We sometimes give them scrambled eggs, and we always toss them a few bits of breakfast cereal if we're having that in the morning.  They'll get a little lettuce when we're making a salad, and the tiniest crumb of cheese if we're making a sandwich.

For the foods that the dogs know they will get, Jack will helpfully remind us if we "forget."  He's so thoughtful!  :)   He'll sit in the kitchen and say "Huph" under his breath, wait 30 seconds and say "Huph" again.  So if for instance we have scrambled them an egg and it's cooling on the counter; or if my husband "forgot" to give them their obligatory 2 bits of cereal, he'll "huph" in the kitchen til we "remember" his share.  

That's the backstory.

For Easter, I made a lemon pound cake and baked it in a Bundt pan.  Those of you who bake may know that "depanning" can be difficult with a Bundt.   Well, last Saturday, a fancy dessert was not to be.  I tried every trick I knew, but the cake came out of the pan in bits.  I'd say about two-thirds came out on the first attempt.  After much effort, about another sixth came out, then a chunk, then a section, and so on.  It was a moist cake so I managed to cobble it back together (thank goodness it was for family and not a formal occasion!).  But in the process, a big hunk fell on the floor.

Jack managed to get a nice big hunk before I got it away.  Poor Maddie was too slow on the uptake and missed her share.  But... well, I guess Jack now thinks that lemon Bundt cake is on the list of "food the dogs get."   

I put the cobbled-together cake on the counter to cool.... and Jack sat in the kitchen the entire time, saying "Huph" very helpfully, every minute or so.  No pacing, no whining, just patiently lying on the kitchen floor.   "Huph.   (pause pause pause)  Huph."   

I put the cake in a covered cake-carrier and he figured no more was coming his way, but the next morning I glazed it and left the carrier open for the glaze to set while we ate breakfast and, you guessed it:  "Huph" the entire time. 

There were leftovers which went in the freezer.  The other night my husband and I got a piece out and left it to thaw on the counter.  Jack ignored it while it was wrapped, but when we cut it in pieces and left it on plates to come to room temperature, well back he went to lying patiently on the floor, "reminding" us that he had not yet had his share.  

Silly Corgis!

Anyone else have funny food stories?  I'm sure there are lots out there!

Views: 3080

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hercules does the same for toast.

Nice story thanks for sharing.

We went to Costco and were running late so we picked up a broiled chicken for dinner.  We got home and since we were running late our 4 Cardigans needed to be fed.  We put the chicken on the counter and fed the dogs.  Star looked at her bowl and then looked at us.  She then went to each of the other dogs bowls and had a look.  This is not acceptable behavior and brought on a series of growls but luckily she didn't push the issue.  We were clueless as to this behavior but have sinced figure it was the smell of the chicken - Star was expecting some with her food and when she didn't get it she checked each bowl to make sure she wasn't the only one being left out.

Lately at mealtime Scout has been coming and sitting down in front of or besides me and just looking at me until I feed them.  She's been doing this a walktime as well. 

While preparing the bowls Spice stands guard of me making sure the other dogs don't get to close.  After the bowls get filled but before they are placed in front of the dogs SunnyD and Star start barking.  We feed Star last so after the bowl gets put on the floor we pet her and tell her she's a good dog - she pauses her eating just so we can do this last step.

I had been to Costco and bought a boxof pigs ears, since we got back late, we forgot to give Basil his treat....came down in the morning to discover he had opened the box, and the plastic bag and eaten an entire box of pigs ears overnight!!!  Was very sheepish in the morning and his punishment??? massive thirst for 2 days after eating so many salty snacks!  Never did it again!
That is so funny! My mother makes Molly home made puppy cookies (since she can't have chicken or beef). Talk about spoiled! Well anyways, molly's puppy cookies are peanut butter flavored and she goes crazy for them. The other day my mom brought over some human food peanut butter cookies for my fiancé. Molly has an incredulous look on her face if you eat one. She really looks like she's thinking "how could you eat my cookies?? How??" and then she looks dejected and pouts. Spoiled puppy!
I guess I really should not tell this story as we were having an argument at the time.  But if tensions weren't so high I would have busted a gut laughing.  I bought a large hunk of steak for the grill; I was told it is better to slow roast a large piece and split it, than to grill smaller portions.  However, when it was split he chose to slice it like a roast instead of into two steaks. (and he gave me the" heal")  When I asked why he got pissed and said "HERE, TAKE THIS PIECE THEN"  As the not to gentle or well calculated transfer was attempted; it failed.  I don't think the meat touched the floor before it was re purposed into kibble.  I guess the outcome was rather ironic....but funny.
Sounds like everyone's got a Hoover like my Gracie. I was sitting with a peeled grapefruit one day eating it a section at a time and by the attention I was getting you'd think I was gnawing on a T-bone steak. I kept telling her she wouldn't like it, but she still sat at attention beside my chair. If I give her something new that's slightly suspect, she'll take it from the kitchen into the living room to analyze. It usually disappears. Not so with the grapefruit slice. Of course she lunged at it when offered, but once in her mouth it was spat out with such speed...and the look on her face! Priceless!
She loves a frozen blueberry or strawberry when I'm making a smoothie, yogurt, carrots, bananas,and yes, she'll drool all over you for a piece of popcorn.
I dont know how funny this is but it is the truth.  At the dinner table I have an empty seat next to me and Coco the female will sit in the chair with her paws on the table without touching the food. The rest of the gang stays on the floor waiting for food to fall on the floor. I would have a picture of it but I am eating at the table and dont have room or any interest for taking pictures at that time. However she will sit there and wait. She has better manners than I do  and the rule is that I do not give table scrapes.
Sebastian loves ice cream! OMG a bit fell on the floor one day and forget it..that was it.. he doesn't beg for anything but pull that ice cream container out and a series if humphs, silent woof's will begin.. (i swear he is a mime).. as soon as I sit down he has figured out a way to jam his short legs to his elbows and sort of hang on the sofa waiting patiently for the bowl.. he gives me a couple of 'hap hap yaps' and smiles.. letting me know am to slow eating my share.. as soon as he gets the bowl he licks it clean.. then proceeds to lick his muzzle over and over in an exaggerated show of appreciation..  then i get the famous grruuuuu... which I always reply too 'that's my puppy dog'.. after that he hops up on the sofa and snores on my lap.. what can I say? the boy has me trained... L**

As many kind readers know my boy Joey passed this week. One of my neighbors reminded me of a Joey story I told her years ago:  When I first adopted Joey, he was 8 and still very vigorous. We were driving in the mtns and stopped to chat with a man who had a poodle. Joey and the poodle played and ran AND THEN...Joey spotted a platter of GINORMOUS Chicken Fried Steaks in the yard (supposedly the man fed them to the deer [aren't they vegetarians?]...anyway Joey was on steroids for his erythema multiforme and was always ravenous. Quick as lightning Joey snatched up a chicken fried steak which was easily as long as he was.....and it wasOFF TO THE RACES.  Me yelling for him to drop it since I was sure it was rotten, rancid and worm infested.......JOEY bounding and springing away with this big floppy steak in his tiny mouth.  As he ran the steak was flapping around like a big sombrero. It was obvious that this was the biggest moment in Joey's life!!! By the time I had caught him he had wolfed down most of the chicken fried steak and must have thought, "this is what heaven is like".  I hope that memory stays with Joey and me forever.

I can just picture the joy of getting a big disgusting steak to run around and play "keep away" with! Lol

Not only did Joey always remember that, but that story has gone down in the annals of Corgi history, and it's something Corgis everywhere can only dream of!

What a great story.

Quin doesn't do the huph for her dinner, but if I forget to feed her right at 5:30 she will start to dig in her dish. She puts her two front feet in the dish and just dig dig digs until I acknowledge her and feed her. She will do the huph if she wants to play ball and we are ignoring her.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service