Jack and the Easter Cake: Let's hear funny food stories!

Let's hear your funny "Corgi and food" stories!

Neither of my dogs actively beg, though both will sit hopefully nearby when we eat.  They will crowd my husband because he sometimes gives them bits of apple or popcorn.  

However, there are some things they know they get and then it's another story.  We sometimes give them scrambled eggs, and we always toss them a few bits of breakfast cereal if we're having that in the morning.  They'll get a little lettuce when we're making a salad, and the tiniest crumb of cheese if we're making a sandwich.

For the foods that the dogs know they will get, Jack will helpfully remind us if we "forget."  He's so thoughtful!  :)   He'll sit in the kitchen and say "Huph" under his breath, wait 30 seconds and say "Huph" again.  So if for instance we have scrambled them an egg and it's cooling on the counter; or if my husband "forgot" to give them their obligatory 2 bits of cereal, he'll "huph" in the kitchen til we "remember" his share.  

That's the backstory.

For Easter, I made a lemon pound cake and baked it in a Bundt pan.  Those of you who bake may know that "depanning" can be difficult with a Bundt.   Well, last Saturday, a fancy dessert was not to be.  I tried every trick I knew, but the cake came out of the pan in bits.  I'd say about two-thirds came out on the first attempt.  After much effort, about another sixth came out, then a chunk, then a section, and so on.  It was a moist cake so I managed to cobble it back together (thank goodness it was for family and not a formal occasion!).  But in the process, a big hunk fell on the floor.

Jack managed to get a nice big hunk before I got it away.  Poor Maddie was too slow on the uptake and missed her share.  But... well, I guess Jack now thinks that lemon Bundt cake is on the list of "food the dogs get."   

I put the cobbled-together cake on the counter to cool.... and Jack sat in the kitchen the entire time, saying "Huph" very helpfully, every minute or so.  No pacing, no whining, just patiently lying on the kitchen floor.   "Huph.   (pause pause pause)  Huph."   

I put the cake in a covered cake-carrier and he figured no more was coming his way, but the next morning I glazed it and left the carrier open for the glaze to set while we ate breakfast and, you guessed it:  "Huph" the entire time. 

There were leftovers which went in the freezer.  The other night my husband and I got a piece out and left it to thaw on the counter.  Jack ignored it while it was wrapped, but when we cut it in pieces and left it on plates to come to room temperature, well back he went to lying patiently on the floor, "reminding" us that he had not yet had his share.  

Silly Corgis!

Anyone else have funny food stories?  I'm sure there are lots out there!

Views: 3075

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ruby loves fruit and dribbles like mad for a piece of banana or apple. She can also hunts out a bag of jelly babies very easily.

My dog Maxwell has TOO many funny food stories and habits for my liking, but it's also sort of cute.

When he was still a puppy, he one day got a hold of a banana peel and ran to the couch where he buried his face and literally swallowed it whole as my mother tried to get it away from him. We still don't know how he did it or even IF he really ate it; the only thing we had to go by was that she hadn't seen him chewing and we couldn't find the banana peel. It was pretty weird.

Another time, we had a two or three year old kid over... well, he had a cookie and kept waving it around everywhere (as little kids do) and Maxxie calmly walked up, gently grasped the cookie and took it straight out of that little boy's hand. Then he walked away and calmly ate it like it had been his all along. The little boy was so mad about his cookie that he started crying. We were SO mad, but I was SO impressed that he had been so gentle in stealing the cookie from the baby.

And Maxxie also has this one really funny habit. My little sister is kind of spoiled, and has my mom bring her breakfast in her room. To keep Maxxie from bothering her, we close the door behind us after the breakfast is delivered. Well, Maxxie seems to believe that if he hasn't seen someone eat the food, it's still around there somewhere. So he waits and waits in front of my sister's room for someone to leave the door open so he can go in and eat ALL the food that has EVER been delivered to her in bed. Also, if you finish your food and put your plate on the counter, Maxxie will wait at the counter for up to 20 minutes even though the plate is completely barren of food. He also occasionally tries to lick old food from the bottom of the dishwasher.

He's a food-crazy boy, Yessirree.

Ok so like this one time, my parents left the dishes out on the tabel and then we left to go somewhere i dont know where and when we got back all the leftovers where gone and the plates where broken and rolly just sat there trying to eat the broken plates. dont worry he was ok and he didnt die from that. he died from old age. :( rip rolly

I know this thread has a year old but I'm sure there are more stories out there.  My 2 do the same "huph" when they think it is something they are entitled too.  No begging at dinner time tho, that is not allowed.  Cereal bowls, ice cream bowls, popcorn are all fair game.

What I want to know is how a dog with 6 inch legs can get something off a counter or island!  I walked out to the kitchen and Max had a square pan of German chocolate cake on the floor with nothing left but crumbs.  Vet said not to worry, that kind of chocolate wouldn't harm him but watch for upset tummy...oh yeah, the cake came back yuck.  Second time he managed to get  spice cake off the island.  How???  Hubby and I think that one of the cats had to help.  Maybe it was if I push this cake pan on the floor you will stop herding me?

Well it being winter..cold...a nightly ritual is hot chocolate with whipped cream...there are two corgi boys here who take theirs sans the chocolate.   

This isn't about a corgi but since we all love pooches.  We've had Irish Wolfhounds long before we had corgis.  The Irish wolfhound is the tallest breed, not the heaviest but the tallest.  They can take food off a counter with all 4 paws on the floor so this creates some interesting scenarios.  You can't walk away and leave dirty dishes on a counter...they will get a lovely pre-rinsing.

One time we had a ham for dinner.  My daughter was going to do the dishes and I went up stairs for a minute.  The ham was sitting on the island and my mind says Bex is right there and she will put the ham in the fridge.  I came back into the kitchen, platter was there, ham was gone.  I said I was glad she put it on a smaller platter and put it away.  She said she didn't.  Oh boy.  Walked into the dinning room and there was Duffy with the picked clean bone and he was working on getting the marrow out. 

No left overs and no pea soup that time. Now I have cat (youngest of 3 and a black cat at that, they are Satan's Spawn) who will steal food...right off your plate as you are eating if you are dumb enough to let him near you.

So grateful neither of my dogs are bad beggars. My dachshund knows the word "cheese" and will be in the room immediately if it is offered to him, Ein was a bit confused at the new food, as I don't often give treats and for the most part rewards are affection. The other night Ein stole a bit of old fashioned maple doughnut off the dessert plate I'd set on the coffee table. I come back into the room a moment later and notice it's on the floor and Ein sulking after he decided had no taste for sweets. I'm hoping I get lucky with this being a one time incident with people food.

I have a 14 year old cat that gets cheese for treats and every time the fridge and zip lock bag opens...ALL the dogs appear for " their" treat . If I really need them to come in from outside all I have to do is "cheese" and they come running...much faster than just "come"!

This not a corgi story but a cat story....I know that many of us have cats also.

I was just finishing up sauteeing catfish last night and our daughter called.  Hubby called me into the other room so we could put her on speaker phone.  I thought it was just going to be a quick call.  I turned the heat off under the fish and went to talk.  Well...major issues in daughter's life caused an hour long phone call.  Never thought about the fact that I didn't put a lid over the pan.  When I finally went back out to the kitchen half of the fish was gone right out of the pan and my "sweet" Oliver was licking his lips.

Black cats are adorable, loving, sweet but they are the Spawn of Satan.  The only other cat that would steal food right out of the pan was Spider...another black cat.  Good thing he is cute and that I just spent over $700 on him for major surgery or he would have been fried up in that pan.

Linda, we have a pure white cat with blue eyes who goes into pots and pans on the stove or sink.

I have walked in after eating to find her dipping her paw into the pan that held bacon grease, licking the paw and then dipping again. She then proceeds to leave greasy paw marks everywhere.

I have used the "SSSCat" air sprayer to keep her off the counters but the effect soon fades, since she's a bold kitty.
I have another funny Jack food story. Jack is "the enforcer" around the house; he firmly believes in house rules and tattles when anyone breaks them.

Yesterday evening, I was upstairs doing some bills and I heard Jack give his "there's something wrong here!" bark (not a warning bark, but an "I need human assistance" bark).

I didn't think there was much that could have happened (sometimes it's just a dish left on the counter or a light in the laundry room) so I finished what I was doing and went downstairs.

There, I found Maddie busily working her way through eating a whole banana, peel and all, while Jack stood behind her looking worried ("See mom, I TOLD you she was being naughty!").

I should add that Jack ALWAYS gets dropped food first, can steal toys from Maddie, and that Maddie does not growl if Jack takes stuff from her. So I'm guessing Jack knew not to touch the banana.

I went into the kitchen to find my husband's work bag knocked down, his lunch bucket open and empty on the floor--- the banana had clearly come from there. I blame the cat for knocking it down.

As best I can tell, the bag hit the floor, Maddie started nosing through, Jack called for help while I foolishly ignored him, Maddie got the banana and took it into the living room while Jack hovered behind her mumbling "You are SO not supposed to have that."

I gave him a nice big hunk of banana (with no peel!) as a reward.

We have an enforcer in our house too...Wynn obeys the rules and his daughter is also starting to take after him...she even looks guilty when someone else is getting into things but doesn't tattle like Wynn does.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service