OK.
It's almost the 10th time I was asked on the street if my corgi is a "miniature corgi."
Pebble is a 9 months old full corgi and she is half of the size of other corgi 9 months old pups I have seen.

She seems to stop growing since 5 months old and remains the same size since then.
I can tell she gained a little weight but still she looks smaller than she should be.

From her chest to tail, it measures about 19inches
(you can take a look at the pic below which I took just now)

Since August she has been not so responsive to her dry puppy food. But I made sure she eats regular even on a small amount. Recently I started mixing her puppy food with can food and she's doing okay so far. I feed her 2 cups per day, sometimes she eats everything and there are times that she doesn't eat much.

Honestly I don't really care about her size but I don't want her to have any health problems because of malnutrition.

Thanks!

Views: 23208

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Caitlin is a wee Cardi ;). I have a 27-lb girl here and she looks like a puppy in the show ring. I think most of the bitches in the ring are 32-35 now and the dogs are, goodness, I think the word is "hunormous." One of the top specials right now is easily 40 lb. I personally like a smaller Cardi and wish more of the smaller and correct dogs were being shown around here, but I'm doing my best to correct that trend ;). The correct weight for an individual dog is all about that dog. One of mine is 27 lb in show condition and one is 35 lb in show condition. The smaller one is chubby at 28; the bigger one would be skeletal at that weight. My bigger girl was bred to a champion boy who is 42 lb; their puppies are now 8 months old and range from 24-32 lb at their correct weights. Some are just a lot bigger than the others, some smaller. (Thankfully, the ones kept to show are on the lower end; we really didn't want giant Cardis out of that breeding.)

As much as I do always want people to know and follow the standard, body condition is one thing that you just have to follow your dog's own lead on.
I have a puppy mill corgi myself (didn't buy him from a pet store, got him from a woman who rescued him) and he's also quite small--twenty pounds and full grown. My other corgi, Honey, who came out of a shelter from unknown origin (she was found as a stray), is even smaller at 18-19 pounds. My corgis were the smallest adults at the Corgi Faire we attended, which surprised me! Some corgis are just smaller than others, and puppy mill corgis seem likely to be small. I personally like that my corgis are little--they're so adorable that way! Especially because my two are pretty much the same size. :) Pebble is completely adorable, too! In fact, she has sort of a similar body to Hooch, our puppy mill guy, who is shorter in length and a little squatter than your usual corgi.
Check out this group Itty Bitty Corgi Commitee. I didn't even really realize how small my corgi was until I compared her to the others in this group. I thought she was svelte, slim, slender. Not fat. But apparently she is also small. But she comes from good breeding. And she is beautiful. A very, very, very pretty little dog. A pretty little dog from good breeding, I must stress.
Pooka is "small" too. I think other corgis are just too big, actually because she fits the measurements/ratios perfect. She is 11" I think, height. But she only weighs 20lbs. People are just used to huge corgis so you have to come to terms with that and not let it get to you ;) Pooka came from a breeder and mom was normal, dad was pretty big, but Pooka seemed the runt of the litter. There were around 8 pups and they were all bigger than her (some of the boys were MUCH bigger).
So its not just puppy mills.

She also is very very picky with food, so that's what I wanted to talk about. Dogs are carnivores which means they're used to having a full stomach sometimes, but most of the time an empty one (so you don't have to make sure she gets a little nutrition throughout as long as she eats once that day). I find that Pooka eats when she's growing (and sleeps more). This brought me to my final conclusion that keeps me from stressing over how many skipped meals she had: "Pooka will eat when she is hungry"
if her body doesn't need it, she doesn't eat. And its great to have a thin pup! So much less likely to get injured.

She is 1 year, 1.5 months right now, and going through a growth spurt so she eats almost all her food, twice a day (I feed a cup at each feeding, but when she was your pups age, I only did 3/4 cup) So it comes and goes (and GOOD NEWS! she's gotten better with age. Don't need to add so many things to entice her). She just walked in the room and she's eating. So satisfying =).

So just remember, if her body needed nutrients, she'd seek it out. I'm pretty sure dogs are prone to self-starvation (unless maybe they're sick)
I know she's from a petstore and I've seen some small Corgis from petstores, but even from good breeding they can vary a lot in size. My male is the Incredible Hulk of Corgis. He's from good breeding, his littermate sister won a specialty show and his sire is on the ROMX list, but he's over height and over weight. I haven't weighed him in months, but at a very thin weight he goes about 37 pounds or so, and he's a Pembroke. To get him down to 30, he'd look like the living dead. Even for breeder who are striving for the standard, there will be dogs on either side of that in size.

Two cups of food does seem like a lot for a Corgi, though, even a growing one. She might actually eat better if presented with smaller amounts at a time.
I have one too. My corgi girl is really small she look like apuppy still and she is going on 5. She was the runt of the litter, but still she is the smallest corgi I have ever seen.. I love her just the way she is because she is so fast and athetic that she should have been an agility dog. She fit in my back window of the car and I have a corolla.
Good luck I hope she is healthy like mine.
She is actually bigger than my Callie was at that age. Callie is a year and half and her weight is 19 pounds. Callie is a purebred I got from a breeder. Her parents were smaller corgis and Callie is a runt, so she is really small for a corgi. There is nothing wrong with her at all, her body and weight is proportional. You may have just ended up with the runt of the litter, or a mix of small parents and being the runt like Callie.

And people still call her a baby puppy, I usually just ignore it unless they ask her age... then I have to tell them that she is full grown. I have gotten people saying that I should have fed her more as a puppy so she would have grown more, but nothing I could have done would have made her any bigger.

And I love her just the way she is!
my neighbors pem is tiny too. It is kind of like humans, to short parents can still make a tall child. THe most important thing to keep in mind is her BMI, as long as she is not underweight (able to feel back bone and hips protruding from her) or over weight (cannot feel her ribs or there is an obvious amount of fat at the base of her back where her tail meets it) I think you are fine. I asked my Vet about Miranda when she was a pup and he gave me those guide lines for checking at home how her weight is doing, because she is small for a female cardi. I can tell you, she is a tad overweight and she has been on light food. I would not have noticed if the vet had not told me to check those body parts to see what kind of fat layer she had.

Also there is a BIG fad with smaller dogs, pint size if you will. Perhaps the "breeder" was breeding to the fad and not the breed standard. I know people who buy standard poodles who are advertised as smaller than normal, because they dont want that much dog. Something to keep in mind. People are into small for some reason.
My Poppy is a little girl too.... She was given away by the breeder to her relative because she was so small and the rest of the litter had gone to homes. The relative was just a temp home until she could find someone to love and care for the puppy. She is absolutely adorable. I love my mini bunny butt!
i wouldnt worry too much. my little tristan is 3 years old and he only weighs 22 pounds. he is bred from champion show lines, but he was the runt and has never quite grown into himself. we go to the vet for check ups and they say hes healthy. he would just rather play than eat. :)

I have had a number of dogs come into rescue of late from the puppy mills in Kansas - all of them are small - short backs and more barrel like in build - the latest could be the mother of you tiny corgi - at 7 years old she weights in at 13lb 14oz - she is being groomed right now so that will take another few oz off her too! Overall this dog is healthy at 7 - teeth are good etc - especially when you consider she was kenneled her whole life. They do attract more attention being small but not as much attention as when you walk two corgis together! The lesson is to avoid the puppy mill dogs wherever possible - a well bred dog costs money to breed and that cost will be reflected in its price - If a dog is $200 then it is been treated as livestock and being produced commercially with little regard to future health of the animal or the breed. Or you can check out the rescue pages on this site to see who needs a home!

My girl was the exact length but 10.inch tall 15lb at that age. But since then till now (year and 4 months) she is is now 11.5 inch tall 21 long and 21l lb wouldn't worry to much about it, she still has some growing to do, just maybe growing at slower rate. like all living things, not everything grows at the same rate. She was from a breeder, while on the there side her brother from same litter who is also ours is the is 27lb and 11.75 inch (perfect AKC standard size) when we got him at 8 months he was 25lb and 11.5 inch so he hasn't grown as much as his sister did is said period of time from then till now.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service