Hey everyone.  We are doing a HUGE remodel in our home and have added some square footage so we need new flooring.  We will be taking up our existing hardwood that is in horrible shape but I was wondering what kind of flooring you all find best with little Corgi feet running around on it.  Any suggestions are welcome though we don't really want to do tile.

Views: 1256

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We have red oak with a natural finish (no stain) and a low-gloss poly coat on top.    The high-gloss looks beautiful but is slicker and shows marks more easily (I lived in an apartment with it and it looked like poured honey--- gorgeous!!!--- but I don't think it would stand up as well to dogs).

The red oak has so much natural variation from board to board that it doesn't seem to show scratches as much.

I bet the red oak is beautiful. My niece had it and from what I can remember it is very rich looking.

At times when I see Max sliding across the hardwood in the living room chasing his ball I am reminded of that sit-com, Mad About You with Paul Riser and Helen Hunt.  They had a dog, Murray, who would chase things, always into another room and you would hear a THUD.  Which of course was the dog going head first into a wall...they never showed it but I would always cringe when I heard it.

I have 85 yr old Maple floors with oil based urethane finish.  The finish doesn't scratch off but there are tiny claw grooves in them...not especially noticeable.  I have large area rugs that keep him from sliding when he jumps off the sofa and low bed ( I had a low platform bed made with Corgis in mind).  Large area rugs are much easier to live with than little throw rugs.  I have a friend with hand scraped oak floors which are very forgiving in terms of scratches showing as they have a slightly irregular surface.  I don't have any experience with cork, but it might be worth researching.

We are new to Corgi feet tearing up and down the hallways, and zooming 'round rooms, but I wouldn't consider anything but high-grade tile if you want something lasting, and easy to clean.  Our last two homes, at either end of the country have been nearly 100% tile. Pups brought up on tile quickly learn to adapt.  Our last Aussie learned how to turn throw rugs into Aladdin's Flying Carpet, by running and pouncing full tilt on smaller rugs, just to see them skid.   Please note that we do not let dogs sleep on furniture/beds in our homes.  That stopped years ago. Taking a flying leap off of high places wouldn't be good on slick tile.  

New Corgi pup has adapted to zinging through corners, although skidding out a bit at high speed.

We have had DAL tile in the last two homes, with high ratings for wear (not all tile is the same,...do your homework). The tighter/narrower the grout lines, and the larger the tiles, the less maintenance you will have. Dark grout is easier to maintain than very light. Grout is the weakness of all tile flooring.  Our present tile (20" squares) is laid like stone, with 1/16 th inch grout lines.  If you can afford it, have a GOOD tile guy do the install?  It AIN'T easy to install tile.

My two cents worth.....Randi

If I ever have it to do over again, I would get the kind of tile you see in hotel lobby's.  There is one particular hotel we go to that has beautiful tile that looks like old wood planks.  Its attractive, very resilitiant, and very non-slip.  I'm sure they specifically use this type because they don't want hotel guest slipping, falling and sueing.  I wish I had had it when my previous dogs got old and sick.  They had a very hard timemanuvering on it.  We had rugs and runners everywhere to help them out.  Pups don't have that hard of a time, but when they get older it can be an issue. 

Don't know much about wood flooring -- used to have blonde parquet back in the day. At the time we had first a German shepherd, a chocolate lab, and a boy child; and then later, after the dogs deceased, added a golden retriever. The housekeeper, not the dogs or the kid, ruined the floor.

Now I have all tile flooring throughout the house. Love/hate relationship there: I truly DO love it for the ease of clean-up and that you can clean under the furniture and the bed and get ALL the dog hair & dust up. But it's awfully hard on the aging feet and back. If I had it to do over, I'd probably get the best laminate I could find, the sort that floats on an underlayment and so has just a tiny bit of give.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service