Hello Everyone!!

I got my corgi, Malcolm, 1 week ago (currently he is 9 weeks old). He is easily trainable when it comes to potty training but he bites my hands, elbows and feet during play. His sharp little teeth hurt! The most frustrating part for me and my boyfriend is that he doesn't like to sit next to us or just be petted. He will lie and take naps away from us and if we start petting him he begins biting. My dog trainer wants to begin socializing him within the next two weeks, after he gets his second set of vacations. Will this help him be a more friendly towards us? Or is it just part of his personality that we might just have to accept? I know he enjoys my company somewhat, as he follows me around the house at times and gets excited when I come home from work. Thank you for the advice!

Views: 5771

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Our Roxy is not a cuddler at all. She will hop on the couch to say hi and lay by our feet but will hop back down a few moments later and opt for her other sleeping spots of the bottom step going upstairs, on the rug by the front door or next to the couch. She also will NEVER sleep in our bed with us. This might be a side effect from being crate trained. She comes up right before we turn the lights off to say goodnight and give kisses but then she wants back down and prefers to sleep under our platform bed. We tease her that she is like "Gollum" from Lord of the Rings under there and every once in awhile we find some of her "precious things" (socks, wrapper other random items) stashed under there with her.

Once our son was born though she became more affectionate toward us and comes up to be pet and give kisses more than her early years. Not sure if that is her being more "grown up" now but I think the new member of our family caused some jealousy so she started to vie for our attentions. She also does not let our 2 year old son pet her or hug her. She will play with him and chase him around and sit by him when he is eating (of course) but if he reaches out to pet her or touch her she scoots away. She treats him like a sheep and she is herding. Always circling him but he can't touch or catch her. But it is obvious she adores him and she is so good with him.

i would give it some time. my first corgi Teddy (R.I.P) was the biggest cuddlier u would ever meet. he would lay on your chest peacefully. Baden on the other hand isnt like that. when i first got him he would only sit in your lap and that would be about as close to cuddling as u would get but now that hes almost two he will cuddle up with u for a few mins and then will leave. when guests are over though he will lay right beside them and love to be petted 

Nellie is the opposite of a cuddler. If you try to put her on the couch or your lap she will nip you until you put her down on the floor. The most she'll do with a lap is put her paws on it to use as leverage to get treats =p I'd love for her to be more cuddly but she's just a hater of touch and would much prefer me to be a toy or food dispensing machine =p

My Ace is 7 months old and he still nips a little when he plays, or when you're not giving him the attention he wants. I think it's all in the breed as far as the nipping goes. Ace only likes to cuddle in the morning or late at night when he is really tired, or during naps..as he has gotten older he has become more cuddly! Just give it time!
I'm so surprised to see so many non cuddles here! Wow mine are such cuddles I wish they would for just once do their own thing! Count your blessings I have 4 face talkers, if they are not in my lap they are not happy. Give your puppy time, I'm sure it's still adjusting frame it's litter habits. And there is some good advice on the nippy stuff, a high pitched ouch helps.

Here is what we did about the nipping: Molly is now 5 months old, and like most other Corgis loved to nip and bite with her sharp little teeth.  Shortly after we brought her home, she was nipping away at my hand and doing the usual did not seem to help at all so when she tried to bite at my hand once instead of pulling away, I pushed my finger into her mouth and she immediately stopped biting. Aha! so to avoid her sharp little teeth, I put on a cotton glove and let her go for my hand again, pushing my glove covered finger deep into her mouth, Soon she got the idea and was no longer nipping or biting at my hand. when she would try going for other parts of my anatomy, all I had to do was put my gloved covered hand there, say No Bite! and she soon learned to stop. When she stopped nipping I would give her a small treat. It has worked well and she no longer nips or bites at either me or the wife....Now,  if I could just figure out how to get her to stop herding the kids :)

As far as the Cuddling, Molly was the same, pretty stand offish. However, I have always picked her up and held her, rubbing her tummy and she seems to like it a lot and now comes over to me for a tummy rub.

When Lainie started with us(she was a very young street pup), we would yelp everytime she bit us. When she heard the yelp, she'd switch to licking mode. I had read somewhere about it being the response that puppies give other puppies when they play too rough. 

Cuddling wise, we invited her on the bed with us after she didn't need the crate anymore for potty training. Now it's hard to sit on the couch without her wanting to curl up and get some pets! She's really great about snuggling. My other dog doesn't snuggle at all, but we also didn't do that with her growing up (pit mix, really big compared to a corgi mix!)

If we are at home, Scooter (beagle/corgi mix) won't sleep with us and doesn't really like cuddling unless we go out to a friends or on vacation. He spends most of his time following me around though. If I take a step out of the house he will sit by the door and scratch it. Or if I take a bath he will sit in front of the door and wait for me to get out so he can lick the water off my legs. He is a weird pup. He wants to cuddle but doesn't at the same time. :)

My corgi is 8 months old and JUST started cuddling in the past few weeks. We actually noticed he became less independent and more cuddly after he'd been neutered. I don't think your pup isn't attached to you, he's probably just going through a "I can do it without you" toddler-esque phase like our little one did :)

Ours just turned 7 months old and is just now starting to cuddle. He used to be the exact same way though, minus the nipping. Thankfully he stopped that relatively early. It seems the older he gets, the more he settles down from the playing all the time and the more he likes to snuggle when we're on the couch watching tv and stuff. He still spends most of his time on the floor though. It's only specific parts of the day that he likes to cuddle, and it's mostly just with me. Only on very rare occasions will he snuggle up next to my husband. 

The nipping of the hand should be corrected immediatly and when Wally would do I would give a stern "NO" and put him on his side.   He would do it if I would get him over excited but during those times I would pick him up and hold him to calm him down.  If he would still be with his pack this behavior would be corrected by the parents but some might just be more stubborn, or it's a personality thing that will take time.

Wally's 16 months of age and he's not a cuddler.    He will bring me toys and chews that he wants me to hold while is gnawing on them and we do have our occasional sit time outside after a walk.    I'm just starting to have him sleep on me when I'm lying in the recliner, but he prefers hard and cool surfaces to fluffy, soft, warm bodies to lie on.

My recommendation is just give him time, opportunities to play and cuddle.    When he gets too excited or stimulated just try to calm him down with a soft voice and gentle long rubs on his back.   I would do this in heavy stimulus areas such as parks or traffic when I see he's hyper or scared.   It helps.

Plus don't forget to get him used to being handled and petted, such as holding and handling his paws, legs, feet, ears and tail.   If you plan to do his trimming or have it done by someone else it will go a long way.   I've seen a number of helpful tips on this site that I'm trying myself at the moment, mainly for the brushing routine part..    :)

Lucy tends to nap away from me, but usually she keeps me in sight or naps in the "intersections" of my home. She is not a cuddler/snuggler, although she will choose moments when she wants to be petted--she'll poke her nose between my legs or sit on my feet. She does not like to be on my lap, which is ok with me; she barely tolerates it when I pick her up to get her out of the car. Her connection to me, though, is undeniable; she follows me around the house, is sitting calmly near the door when I come home, loves going for walks with me and if she is off leash (in the woods), she always keeps me in sight and will immediately come running if I call her--unless of course she has found something interesting to sniff or eat. So while she is not a snuggler, the bond is there. I did a puppy training class with a great trainer which was worth the money.

When she was a puppy, she definitely nipped, but she outgrew that and now she doesn't chew on other things besides her toys/antlers any more (thank goodness!!). She only barks when someone is outside my door or if a dog passes by. She is a remarkably quiet Corgi! Pretty calm at home, but loves meeting other humans of all sizes and canines of all sizes when we are out--all wiggly and wanting to be petted. She's still a licker and while I know I could train her out of it, I don't mind it (bad human, bad!). Honestly? I couldn't ask for a better dog!!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service