I've had Corgis my whole life and that's a lot of years. Corgis are working dogs that need meaningful activity and discipline. The time to start training is when your baby Corgi comes home. Corgis are very smart and they will be a step ahead of you, if you let them. DON'T let them. They love to know the rules, work hard and be praised. The earlier you start lovingly training your puppy, the more rewards you will have later with your adult Corgi who listens for your command and happily performs it. A rescue dog needs the same training, but first needs to trust its new family. Knowing that your rescue is experiencing a hard transition will hopefully make you more patient and compassionate. Be loving and earn the trust of your rescue. But whether a puppy or a rescue, train your Corgi well and as early as you can. Every Corgi and owner thrive through combined work and effort.

Views: 1394

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@ Beth - Just re-read this message. In fact, I read it out loud to my husband, (also a Jack). Your Jack sounds so much like Rafa. You gave us hope and my husband got a big laugh out of your words and your "fear not..."
I love God's sense of humor. And I marvel at it daily!! : )
Ok guys. I just posted a few new pictures. Rafa looks like an angel. Somehow they got posted twice I think. Ahh, the better to remember Rafa as an angel. ; )
Maybe Rafa is sending vibes Sage's way...today while I was at work she decided it was a good time to clear out old shoes...I found 2 liners and one shoe on my bed and a chewed on sandle in my living room. Why??? i don't know but she must have had access to my bedroom(thank you to my husband). Thank goodness I put my good shoes up and off the floor...why?????
Wish I knew why Rafa does half the stuff he does. After being corrected for biting the furniture, he goes right back to bite it right while I'm sitting on it. Jack scolded him for chewing out a chair while Jack was sitting next to him and as soon as his time out was over, he went back to chew some more. He doesn't wait for us to leave to act out. He does it right in front of us. Just this minute he was chewing on Jack's (my husband's) shoe, so Jack moved it out of reach and told him "no." A minute later I see Rafa jumping to reach the shoe. It's like he has no boundaries and doesn't learn from any verbal corrections or time outs. I thought obedience classes started today. Good thing I phoned first, it's not til next Saturday. Grrrrrrr. I think Rafa sent vibes to Alwyn...another corgi on this site.
Jack used to be gated in the kitchen much of the time because he could not be trusted in the living room when he was a puppy. He would chew on the wooden baby gates. I would spray them with bitter apple, and he would stop as long as the spray was wet, but as soon as it dried he'd be back at it.

He got to the point that he'd start barking at me when he'd see me grab the bitter apple. It was quite hysterical!

Finally I started giving him cardboard boxes (plain brown ones) to shred and that seemed to satisfy his urge to chew wood. Wood has a consistency that no dog chew-toys do; it's hard, yet it gives under the teeth. Cardboard has a similar effect.

Lest you get discouraged, Jack is not at all a chewer now. I kept my sanity by keeping him in the kitchen til he was about 6 or 7 months old.
Both Odie and Lucky LOVED the bitter apple! Not only did it not work, they talked the cat into knocking it down off the counter (my fault for not putting it away) and chewed up the bottle! I never did find out which one ate the bottle. I can only guess which of the 3 cats - I am pretty sure it was Bad Willey!
hahaha! i think rafa has learned to love bitter apple too. it was our last line of defense. now, we're trying a vinegar spray. if he was anyone else's dog I would be laughing all the time. but, he's mine, and at times his pranks are crazy-making. but, they are still corgi-funny. I have no doubt that he will grow into a fabulous, loving and devoted adult...so say all my corgi friends, haha. but, seriously, although he has some very bratty ways, his adorableness, sweetness, and comical sense of humor make him irresistible. He's a keeper, come rain or shine. He's our adorable baby.
@ Beth - So how long did it take before Jack settled in? I think I mentioned previously that my kitchen and family room are just one big room. Rafa prefers to chew the sofa and pillows, the rug, wood chairs, doors, books, you name it. He also loves to jump. If there's even a whiff of food he jumps up and down like on a pogo stick yelping in a high-pitched, ear-shattering bark, until you remove the food. He has no respect yet for boundaries, especially Lucy's. She's way too patient with him and practically rolls her eyes at me as if to say, "GET HIM OUT OF HERE."
When I tell him "no" he barks at me. It's esp. difficult these last 2 rainy days because he's bored. I know he'll get better. I HOPE he'll get better. Unfortunately his obedience classes were postponed a week. Can't wait to get him going in class.
But my crazy little boy actually leaped into my lap today twice today just to give me a kiss. Awww. How can you not love this puppy?
Mine is learning NOT to do that...she likes to leap on everyone...just to give kisses but with no warning! I love it too but...
ahh, but jane, initially rafa only bonded to lucy. i love that he's kissing me now, even if he's jumping onto my lap to do it. that i can correct later. meantime, i'm just loving the love. later he rested his head on my foot and i was in heaven. he's finally bonding with me and it makes me sooo happy.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service