How you doing im new and I just got a 2 months old Welsh Corgi and i have to say ive never been so happy.
Anyways i was asking what is the best to feed him. I have been giving him Purina Puppy Chow because the breeder was feeding him that so id figure i would. Well i heard that its not a very good dog food and i want to feed my lil Romeo the best. So if anybody can help me thatd be great. Thanks

Views: 243

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Get him off the Purina. Stick with a good quality kibble with no grains, usually found in Pet Specialty stores.
Check Whole Dog Journal for their best dry food. They do their own research and accept no advertising. I use
Verus for my guys and they do very well. Check their web site. They have a formula just for puppies. Good luck.
He's adorable!
Hi! I am so glad that someone suggested the Whole Dog Journal! I think it has great info!
I've switched Pixie and the cats over to Nature's Variety. They have multiple formulas and flavors, and all the "kids" love it. We feed a mix of 75% kibble and 25% cans. It lasts a lot longer than regular store bought food because it has less filler. A fifteen pound bag (supplemented with can food) has lasted Pixie three months. It's a little expensive but well worth the health benefits. My husband has commented that they're eating better than us now, especially when I open up a can of lamb stew :)
Lol. My boyfriend does the same thing. Every time he looks at Dax's food he says "the dog eats better than we do!" and I say "maybe, but the dog also eats the same thing every day for every meal. How would you like that?"
That's why the pets like this new brand-there is a new flavor for every day of the week. They've got rabbit, lamb, beef, chicken, venison, etc. The problem is buying it in bulk makes it a little difficult to get the variety, but it saves me money. I usually get two flavors and then switch those to something else on the next order. They haven't got bored yet. *crosses fingers*
The breeder was feeding Finn Purina One Large Breed Puppy Food and when we got him at 8 weeks of age we switched him to Blue Buffalo Puppy Food. He's now about to turn 7 months and we're switching him to Wellness Core Adult Food. He liked the blue Buffalo but at times would have to be coaxed to eat his 2nd meal of the day and he's always been very gassy so we figured it couldn't hurt to try another food. Wellness and Blue Buffalo are very similar but the Wellness Core is grain free which is supposed to be a plus. We'll see!
I see good advice on foods-do avoid grain based foods-Evo, Wellness Core, Fromm's Surf & Turf, Orijen are grain-free foods-dogs are not grain eaters, and grains are a cheap filler with no added nutritional value-adding some real meat is really good, as well as some fresh veggies and fruit-
The only thing about grain free diets is that they have much higher protein levels and this may not be a plus for Corgis. It is said that too much protein can cause growth issues and result in problems such as Pano (growing pains). For this reason some breeders recommend taking them off puppy food at 6 months of age and put them on adult food since it has less protein. Feeding grain free food would go against this belief. For this reason we decided to go with Wellness Super 5 Mix rather than Core. It is not grain free but still a great food. We'll see how he does. Maybe when Finn is older we can try the Core formula on him but at 7 months of age, I don't feel comfortable with it.
At Petco a lady told me if he is eating hard food not to give him any soft food because its bad for him.. Have any of you heard of this .. ?
no, never heard of that, unless she means wet food exclusively. Most people I know mix a little wet in with the kibble for variety and/or texture.
I definitely wouldn't feed ONLY wet food like Geri said, but mixing a little in with his dry food shouldn't hurt. The only thing I would worry about is if he really likes the wet food, sometimes they can come to expect it and won't eat their dry food without it. Sometimes I mix plain nonfat yogurt in with Dax's food and he loves it, and it doesn't smell horrible like wet dog food does. :)
dry food only is hard on the kidneys when they get older-dry food needs to be reconsititued before it be digested and the moisture to do this comes from the internal system-dry food does not keep the teeth clean-does your cereal get caught in your teeth? I add warm water to their food to soak it and soften the food.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service