Brian, our 12 week old corgi, regurgitated (I'm guessing what he's doing is regurgitating, than vomiting) 4 times within the past hour. He threw up his food, some weeds, leaves, and dirt. He ate his first meal (out of the two that he has each day), four hours ago. The first 3 times, it contained partially digested food, and the 4th, brown liquid (looked like dirt) All four times, were covered in clear slimy mucus.

I'm suspecting that the weeds, leaves and dirt that he ate in the backyard are making him throw up...
I gave him an ice cube and some water, and now he's resting.
What else should I do? What should I do food-wise?

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, the most likely culprit is something he ate. I would probably offer him maybe a couple tablespoons of food in the evening if he has stopped vomiting for several hours (for an adult, I'd just skip a meal but with puppies I'd be more inclined to try to feed). If he keeps that down, then tomorrow morning I'd give him half his food at the normal time, wait an hour or so, then give him the rest.

Now that he's got whatever upset him out of his system, he may be fine. If he develops diarrhea too, I'd call the vet with a pup that young. If Jack eats something nasty that makes him throw up, he's usually his sparkly self in an hour or two.

If he still looks like he's not feeling well this evening then you might want to skip the light meal, but if he's running around, playing, and drinking I'd give him a little bit.
steamed rice and boiled, unsalted chicken cut into little pieces

I hope Brian feels better soon!
Thank you both! I was so worried since I've never seen that much kibble being thrown up like that before! When I arrived home from the market with chicken, Brian was back to his..sparkly :)..self. There was no diarrhea, So I gave him a little bit of his kibble and he sucked it right up. If he throws up again, I'll feed him the chicken and rice that I bought.
Glad to hear he's sparkly! Remember, kibble swells considerably in the stomach, so there's way more coming up than going down.

Jack once ate something gross in the woods and then came home and ate supper with yogurt and promptly threw up. Blech! Man oh man, I had no idea such a small tummy could hold so much gross stuff. I nearly lost it myself....
Potus regularly throws up because he always eats things he shouldn't (like pegs- I have no idea where he finds them all). If he seems fine just feed him chicken and rice for the next meal or so. Then return him to his normal food. Due to Po's tendency to vomit we've learnt when to call the vets- the last time he went to the vet after vomiting was when he vomited all of his food then all of the water in his system then just bile and other disgusting looking liquid. He had to go to the vet then to get a shot to stop him vomiting.

As you said he seems to be fine now- just look out for diarrhea like Beth suggested. I would mention it the next time you see the vet though but tell them you suspect it was something he ate.
I've heard good things about the rice and chicken. We've been lucky, though, and even though Jack has a slightly sensitive tummy, when he gets ill it usually clears within a half day and we've never had to give him any special food like that.

Other dogs take awhile to recover, especially if their digestive system gets inflamed.
Hope Brian stays feeling better!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service